Zero Punctuation: Volume - Robin Hood?

Volume - Robin Hood?

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Volume.

Watch Video

Nice sublminal Hatfall plug there.

Way to turn down the volume, Yahtz.

why does that ad not play until the video has already started... kinda annoying

So what Yathzee is that he's probably not gonna play "We happy few" when it comes out(whenever that is)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc67_BrCdPc

Carol Vorderman left Countdown in 2008.
She was replaced by the much nicer looking Rachel Riley

There's also The Swindle in terms of modern steal-from-fascist-Britain games.

Though I guess the rise of UKIP would explain that scenario a bit.

In that opening, I think he should have mentioned that one movie set in the near-future with a plague-riddled Scotland walled off from the rest of the world, and they regressed back to a medieval society with some Mad Max thrown in.
And speaking of Metal Gear, when is he going to review Phantom Pain?

This game seems really weird. Like I'm not seeing the game itself. Is it just YouTube Simulator?

Blimey, he has been gone a while then. Football fever has been going downhill ever since Murray won gold at the Ashes.
Or something.

There really is a lot of fiction set in a dystopian British dictatorship, I wonder at what year it started...

Darth_Payn:

Probably in a week or so. It just came out this week and I'm pretty sure Yathzee wasn't invited to one of the reviewer "boot camps"(nor would he go if invited), so I'm sure he's working through it. It's also a 40-60 hour game and that takes at least a week or so to get through(That would be more like a month or so for me).

orshk:
There really is a lot of fiction set in a dystopian British dictatorship, I wonder at what year it started...

Seems to have been born of the Thatcher years from what I can see, and given how the British Left felt during those years I can see why, even if it begs the question why the 90s didn't see Communism become the normal "thing Britain got taken over by" become the norm.

orshk:

OT: Seems Yahtzee agrees with the prevailing criticisms I've seen leveled at Volume.

Personally, I tend to look toward mechanics before narrative and I didn't have any interest in playing Thomas Was Alone (though I imagine I'd enjoy it if I did play it), so as a fan of stealth games I do think I'd really like Volume.

Wasn't that Pink Floyd movie set in a British dystopian dictatorship?

Hmmmm...oh well. If you'll excuse me, I've got to go get comfortably numb. :3

weirdsoup:
Carol Vorderman left Countdown in 2008.
She was replaced by the much nicer looking Rachel Riley

VORDERMAN IS AN IRREPLACEABLE GODDESS!... but, yes, Riley is nice too.

Well... For the record, Diplomacy actually sounds like an awesome ironic name for a shooter, so there.

RJ 17:
Wasn't that Pink Floyd movie set in a British dystopian dictatorship?

Hmmmm...oh well. If you'll excuse me, I've got to go get comfortably numb. :3

Yup. That's the one, I got to watch that in Film Lecture last year.

My brain still hurts.

Just want to make a comment about one of the bits at the end...

"That's like calling a modern warfare shooter "Diplomacy"."

You've... never actually PLAYED Diplomacy, have you? Those games destroy friendships with a violence unseen outside of soccer/football riots.

I have no idea why people always think that Britain would descend into a dictatorship. Especially when at this time it is more likely for Australia to go down that route thanks to the recent operation farcetude incident.

Darth_Payn:
In that opening, I think he should have mentioned that one movie set in the near-future with a plague-riddled Scotland walled off from the rest of the world, and they regressed back to a medieval society with some Mad Max thrown in.

Probably in the next week or two(depending on whether he decides to review Mad Max or not), as Australia typically gets games later then the U.S.(on fridays as opposed to tuesdays).

I'd move to England to be a part of Carol Vorderman's dictatorship.

Also, it's probably worth noting that the game has gotten (or is getting) an update that lets you turn off checkpoints for those who like a challenge.

shrekfan246:

orshk:

OT: Seems Yahtzee agrees with the prevailing criticisms I've seen leveled at Volume.

Personally, I tend to look toward mechanics before narrative and I didn't have any interest in playing Thomas Was Alone (though I imagine I'd enjoy it if I did play it), so as a fan of stealth games I do think I'd really like Volume.

1984 was published in 1949

OT: Seems to me it's like a modern MGS: Snake VR Missions. I think I'll give it a pass.

orshk:

Whenever publishers figured out that the British don't mind it so much as other nations. Either because they know there was a time long past when they actually were this to the rest of the world, or they just don't take fiction seriously enough to be offended by it. As opposed to say, how a game with a brutal facist American government would go over.

ryan_cs:

shrekfan246:

orshk:

1984 was published in 1949

It was a joke.

Like, the whole reason I didn't use the publication year was because I figured it would be too subtle for people.

The flock next plz I think you will hate it for sure

Regime & Dictatorship are the wrong word for it.
A Nanny State island with heavy censorship where only criminals & vigilantes have weapons would be a better......

..... oh wait ... that would just result in more Rupert Murdochs. NvM

I think there's something wrong with this site, I've started getting crippling advertisements all of a sudden. Has the Escapist been hacked?

You know, the anti immigration feeling among the angry would make for a very good setting for a dystopian future for Britain. I'm surprised no one has done that yet. Perhaps it's superstition or Voldemort. If you frame it too much, you ensure it comes to pass.

Or UKIP will try and get you arrested...

WE'RE ALREADY IN ONE!!! :O

Arnoxthe1:
Well... For the record, Diplomacy actually sounds like an awesome ironic name for a shooter, so there.

Yep, was just about to post the same thing.

Britan is living in a dystopian fascist regime it's called the EU

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here