6 Anime on Netflix You Have to Watch

6 Anime on Netflix You Have to Watch

The folks at Netflix recognize the importance of Japanese Animation. As a start, I would recommend these six. I think they'll cause you to make Anime a regular part of your diet...

Read Full Article

Not a bad list, but I'd swap out Full Metal Alchemist for Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood as its just... better and follows the source material MUCH better, has better animation, voice acting, pacing, and story than the original FMA that kind of fell apart after the whole Hughes thing.

Along with this I'd throw in Death Note. Its pretty interesting, and has a ton of mind games even if the 3rd act is kind of shaky. Psycho Pass is also really good, well written, and has an excellent premise.

Then I'd throw in Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works as they're absolutely phenomenal stories, with some of the best music, and the BEST animation you will ever see. I'd go into more detail about these shows but I'm really tired right now.

Why would someone put inuyasha of all things on a must see list? Mushi-shi though good to see that is getting some love.

Eventually in one of their struggles, they must fight a demon that upon seeing a neckless (a neckless that I will not spoil the point of) on Griffiths neck, tells him that their future is full of despair and doom.

I imagine that the author means "necklace", though having never seen Berserk I was totally willing to accept that there was some kind of monster named "Neckless" (presumably looking like Danny DeVito).

Honestly, just use Crunchyroll is you need to stream anime. Also - and this is just my opinion - Inuyasha is quite bad. I'd never recommend someone watch it.

I disagree with basically everything on this list...

But one that stands above the others in terms of how crappy it is...

Mushishi.

Nothing happens in that show! It's just a string of events that have nothing to do with each other.

Missed a couple of episodes? Don't worry. They have literally no impact on the story as a whole... because there is no story as a whole.

Worthless do nothing anime that is a complete waste of time.

Weaver:
Honestly, just use Crunchyroll is you need to stream anime. Also - and this is just my opinion - Inuyasha is quite bad. I'd never recommend someone watch it.

Ugh. Only if you subscribe to it. The commercials are annoying..

Valkrex:

Along with this I'd throw in Death Note. Its pretty interesting, and has a ton of mind games even if the 3rd act is kind of shaky. Psycho Pass is also really good, well written, and has an excellent premise.

I actually just finished this one on Netflix. Liked it as well. Was quite surprised at how the mid-point went. Did not see that coming.

Knights of Sidonia is great too. I really enjoyed it, and it is licensed only on Netflix.

I just finished Psycho Pass as well, it kind of scratches that Ghost in the Shell itch.

Odd list. No Attack on Titan. No Death Note. Those are two of the more well known recent series that should probably be a first stop for anyone who hasn't seen them. Also, as another person mentioned, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is certainly a better option than the original series.

Animatrix is a good call for anyone who hasn't seen it. It's really unique and doesn't really fit the standard anime mold.

Harlock is a good recommendation.

Inuyasha, or any Rumiko Takahashi series, is an odd recommendation. If you want a cheap drama, even Sword Art Online is probably a better option.

I haven't watched the new Berserk. I can't imagine it holding up to the old Berserk, but I'd be willing to give it a go.

Valkrex:
Not a bad list, but I'd swap out Full Metal Alchemist for Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood as its just... better and follows the source material MUCH better, has better animation, voice acting, pacing, and story than the original FMA that kind of fell apart after the whole Hughes thing.

Although much of this is true, something to keep in mind is that for FMAB, FMA is basically required viewing due to how rushed the first third of the series is and how it straight up assumed you've watched it.

Jhereg42:
Knights of Sidonia is great too. I really enjoyed it, and it is licensed only on Netflix.

I just finished Psycho Pass as well, it kind of scratches that Ghost in the Shell itch.

As Psycho Pass, what a great series and movie. I just wish they'd make a second season :P

OT: I hate the fact that I've basically seen every anime on Netflix. I use the service for too much non-anime so I don't have the coin to spear on Crunchyroll or Funimation, meaning I only get the free content of both sites which is substantially less then the paid content.

Draconalis:
I disagree with basically everything on this list...

But one that stands above the others in terms of how crappy it is...

Mushishi.

Nothing happens in that show! It's just a string of events that have nothing to do with each other.

Missed a couple of episodes? Don't worry. They have literally no impact on the story as a whole... because there is no story as a whole.

Worthless do nothing anime that is a complete waste of time.

I can see that being an issue if you're looking for more, but I'd argue that that isn't the point of Mushishi. Ginko isn't ever going to find a permanent solution to the mushi, so it's just a bunch of interesting one-offs. It's basically a crime procedural, but instead of a murders and crimes it's little supernatural creatures.

Personally, I found it way more enjoyable to watch, despite that lack of overarching plot, than say something like Natsume's Book of Friends which actually feels like it's just spinning its wheels.

Slycne:
It's basically a crime procedural, but instead of a murders and crimes it's little supernatural creatures.

Granted I haven't watched TV in years, but with CIS, and Law and Order, and shows like them (for the time at least, maybe not now) there were still over arching plots. Is so and so going to be fired for something that happened three episodes ago? How will so and so deal with these cases after a particularly disturbing case. So and so is undercover for a few episodes and now plot.

They were character arcs that didn't affect the story of the whole show... but they were arcs.

Zontar:

Valkrex:

Although much of this is true, something to keep in mind is that for FMAB, FMA is basically required viewing due to how rushed the first third of the series is and how it straight up assumed you've watched it.

Heavily disagree. I didn't see the original FMA until about a year after I saw FMAB, and I had NO problems following what was going on. Showed FMAB to several of my friends, who also never saw the original, and they also had no trouble following what was going on. Sure the original series went more in depth into some of the early events, but its by no means required viewing as Brotherhood gives you everything you need to know to understand the plot.

I think Hunter x Hunter(2011) was the last anime I watched on netflix (and finished on crunchy roll since Netflix just cuts off a storyline halfway through). Not terrible if you need a show with a bajillion episodes. Definitely some very high points (season 3 on netflix (Yorknew City arc) mixed with some frustratingly low/slow points).

There's a newer Berserk? Wonder how I missed that. Speaking of which, from the article:

[quote]
Eventually in one of their struggles, they must fight a demon that upon seeing a neckless (a neckless that I will not spoil the point of) on Griffiths neck, tells him that their future is full of despair and doom.
[quote]

What the heck is a neckless and how does Griffiths have one around his neck? I think you meant necklace here!

First FMA best FMA! But where's the love for Knights of Sidonia?

You have Inuyasha on this lsit, but not Hunter X Hunter? I question this list

I appreciate this list simply because 5/6 of them actually are things I can watch without feeling uncomfortable. I hate depressing anime, I don't know if its just my personality or my ongoing fight with depression, but shows like Fate/Stay Night: UBW and Elven Lied just kinda make me feel shitty, so its nice to see a list where most of the entries don't seem to hate their own cast. I would rather watch puddle shallow fluff that makes me smile like Inuyasha or monster musume no iru nichijou, than a awarding winning car wreck like Evangelion.

All that said, it does seem strange to make a Netflix anime list and not mention Knights of Sidonia. I would also recommend The Devil is a Part Timer! if you want silly fluff or Samurai Champloo if you want something with a little more depth, but still not centered around nihilism and despair.

Great list. I've always wanted to check out Captain Harlock and this motivates me more to do so.
I agree with others in that FMA:B should be on the list instead of the first FMA series but I love both Fullmetals so I'm fine with the recommendation. Sadly Netflix still doesn't have the last season of Brotherhood and I doubt they ever will. I think the blame for that goes to Funimation.

Animatrix is a great watch and a solid companion piece to the first Matrix film but a correction, it's "Final Flight of the Osiris" is what you mean to say.

Valkrex:

I wouldn't call FMAB better than FMA, just different.

FMAB is definitely more of a standard shonen than FMA was. If that's your bag, then cool. That's your bag. FMA was a hella lot more depressing though and had a far more tragic story than FMAB did. Honestly the latter half of FMA just felt like a really depressing drama where even the resolution was mostly depressing.

On topic!

I've given up on Netflix for anime. The selection is spotty at the best of times and animes randomly disappear constantly off the service. Baccano! was one of my favorites on the service, then poof it disappeared. Sengoku Basara was a wonderfully fun take on the Sengoku periods by amping up the legends to 11 and then exploding them, but the service only ever had season 2 and never put up season 1, then it disappeared completely. Moribito was a wonderful anime that vanished a while back, except just recently it came back.

As for things that are still left that aren't the normal answers. The Devil is a Part Timer is a quite little anime that I greatly enjoyed. Fun characters, neat plot, fun story, all good. I really enjoyed Noragami as well, though the blond male character got on my nerves a lot, which was kind of his point, but whatever. Deadman Wonderland is also extraordinarily fun if your idea of fun is hyper violence, which it is for me so yay. Gargantia is pretty solid as well, though its really cliche in places.

edit -

Oh oh oh! I forgot to mention the best anime that turned into the most disappointing anime all in the span of 1 season!

Samurai Flamenco. Starts off as Kick Ass in anime form. Ends up being an even more ridiculous homage to power rangers.

It was a ton of fun at first and some people might enjoy the transition more than I did, but man was that transition jarring.

I'm shocked Attack on Titan isn't on here. I freakin' loved that show, and I normally don't like anime much.

This version of Berserk is pretty good, but it's trying to fit a TON of stuff into a pretty short movie.

I disagree on Harlock though. The concept is cool, and the animation is gorgeous, but it suffered from Braveheart/Spartacus/Vikings syndrome, where the good guys are depicted as so ridiculously over the top powerful, and the bad guys so ridiculously over the top weak and incompetent, that I started rooting against the good guys. Seriously, Harlock and his crew with 1 ship seem able to take on entire armadas and easily win, there's no suspense.

Inuyasha is a cancer and I really like Ramna 1/2.

Lots of Inuyasha hate on here, lol. But I'm not surprised as some of my own tastes seem to run counter to the more "popular" opinions on this site at times.
Its ok, subjectivity is cool with me.

OT: I'd like to add one thing, not an anime but a recommendation on lists like this, please denote the country of origin that the Netflix recommendations are coming from as the streaming availability is not universal. Like UK and US do not share the same list, and so on. It may suck for someone to hear of some interesting shows and then find out its not available on their country's Netflix list.

I don't understand how people can actively hate InuYasha - It's objectively an insanely popular series and consistently makes top 100 anime lists despite having started almost 16 years ago. Personally for me it was the series that got me interested in subjects like yokai, hanyo, Japanese legends in general and history as well. If they have all the episodes on Netflix it's hard not to recommend that someone watch them.

It's not my favorite Rumiko Takahashi property (That's probably Maison Ikkoku), but its a good anime. Although technically it's a Shounen series, I tend to think of it as Naruto for girls because of how popular it is with women, so maybe for all you haters out there it might be appropriate for you to introduce your girlfriends or wives to it if they are interested in anime, it might be something you can enjoy together!

Animatrix and Inuyasha are must see anime? Well...ahem...I won't laugh, but I will say that this site pretty much lost all credibility when it comes to recommending anime.

Wow, you recommended the good FMA. I guess that's a sign humanity isn't completely doomed after all. May as well recommend the non Dragon Ballified HXH while you're at it.

And Inuyasha, who many hate for being mostly filler, which is understandable. I can enjoy some of it, like the 1st and 4th movies and most episodes with Sesshomaru in it.

Haven't seen the rest, except the new Beserk, which has no right to exist.

Great list, but I can do without Inuyasha and it's "deep" relationship with Kagome and Inuyasha, wich is straight up psychotic and abusive.

Now, here's a thing: Why is there no Gundam on Netflix? Not even AGE! For fucks sake!

Welp, time to take out my Cowboy Bebop drum and start banging on it some more. Netflix, why do you not have probably one of the best and popular anime shows in your library after all this time?

EDIT: *looks further* WTH? Even Trigun and Hellsing aren't in there as well. Wow, Netflix, you really do suck at anime. XP

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here