Judging By The Cover: Ico

Ico

If you've seen the various box art before you can probably guess where this is going.

Watch Video

Lol, I bet you had a lot of fun combing through pages of .ico files looking for that cover.

Really like this new series. Apparently "Yahtzee complains about X" is a solid formula no matter what the subject. :P

Great work, can't wait for the next one!

I loughed out loud about that US Cover
OMG

Very clever joke at the end

D3s_ToD3s:
OMG

Check out the European and the US covers for Amnesia The Dark Descent.
Subtlety? Why would you want that on the cover of a game like this?

ZZoMBiE13:
Really like this new series. Apparently "Yahtzee complains about X" is a solid formula no matter what the subject. :P

Agreed.

ZZoMBiE13:

He's like our own special Morgan Freeman.

The Euro box art is one of my favorite covers, but I feel Yahtzee's bickering is lost in its (deliberate) surreality.

14 years have passed and the word that it's pronounced "Eeko" still hasn't spread...

I like Yahtzee's videos for their educational value (and for may other reasons of course). There is always a chance to discover a new way to say "penis."

D3s_ToD3s:
OMG

I laughed at both covers, but I laughed harder at the American version, especially the "beach towel with the Decepticon logo on it" line. Speaking as an American on the Internet (straps on helmet), I am embarrassed for that one. What's so important about the windmill that's a lawsuit waiting to happen?

TheSniperFan:

D3s_ToD3s:
OMG

Oh god. Why

Oh Lord, more Evangelion references from Yahtzee yet again. Why won't he just write a column or something about it so we might know what he actually thinks about it? He's clearly seen it, I'd even say multiple times.

D3s_ToD3s:

TheSniperFan:

D3s_ToD3s:
OMG

Oh god. Why

That is absolutely fucking atrocious.

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY

And that fucking US Ico box art makes me want to puke. Let's take all the subtlety, atmosphere and aesthetic of the game and rub it in shit. Ico himself looks like a fucking douchebag.

NO please no no more Eva flashbacks I can't with this AUGH!

why does the US cover take out the atmosphere? its like they deliberately change it to make it less appealing. and that amnesia cover is really shocking. but i guess americans need obscure art to find it more appealing to buy the game. i dont know.
great episode again. looking forward to the next one.

I had not appreciated just how awfully terrible the US box art was. It's actually detrimental. I would feel worse for having it on my shelf, marring an otherwise beautiful game.

EU box art, OTOH, is great.

Man...I don't feel American anymore. I've never seen that bullshit cover in my life. My copy of Ico had the proper bullshit cover.

I'm not sure I get the appeal of box art that doesn't look like the game itself. Admittedly, the american one was probably thrown together at the last minute with just what was lying around, but it does represent the game. The original one was just a homage to some unrelated painter the director happened to like.

Yahtzee knowing The Prisoner? Kudos! :)

Great as usual! always gives a smile and a laugh!

emanresu2:
14 years have passed and the word that it's pronounced "Eeko" still hasn't spread...

I thought the exact same thing. The fact that Shadow of the Colossus was originally named "Nico" (ie the Japanese word for "two") should have been a tip-off.

Can a brotha get a side transplant, I think I peed myself at the "Evangelion" mis-hear

kimiyoribaka:
I'm not sure I get the appeal of box art that doesn't look like the game itself. Admittedly, the american one was probably thrown together at the last minute with just what was lying around, but it does represent the game. The original one was just a homage to some unrelated painter the director happened to like.

It's fucking shit, are you kidding me? The original represents the tone and atmosphere and aesthetic of the story and world. The American version completely fails to capture any aspect of the game, it doesn't even look anything like the characters and just looks like garbage in general.

Anyone else get the feeling that Yahtzee is actually posting these videos as a social commentary on how we consumers will like nearly anything, even him just chatting about box art for several minutes?

If so, then I'm ashamed for liking it so much...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here