Good Bad Flicks: Exploring Pandorum

Exploring Pandorum

Exploring the making of Pandorum.

Watch Video

Good to see Pandorum get some love. Very much an underrated flick in my mind.

Well, the GoodBadFlicks episode on Event Horizon drove me to go watch that, and I loved it. So if this has a similar feel to it like it seems to off this episode, I'll be sure to check it out.

Hopefully I'll also forget the spoilers like I did with Event Horizon, and just remember some of the details.

I liked the film myself when I first saw it. This definitely makes me want to watch it again.

dont know. it was ok, but cant say i really liked it. maybe i have to give it another try again in case it might change my mind.

Cecil I'm a huge fan of pandorum, but (and I'm gonna need to go watch it to remind myself) you mentioned they'd slept too long like 8 years, but at the end we learn thats not true, theyd been asleep for 800 years. I think you forgot to clarify that at the end. That the messed up sleep shift turned out to be wrong. I hope Im making sense. You said it turned out 800 years had passed but did not mention that the initial sleep mix up turned out to be false.

As for the movie the story and acting were great and the cinematography was great but as noticed on some Andersons other duds, the fight and action sequences often looked goofy and poorly shot, like the silly MMA guy fight. In true alien fashion the monsters should have been shot in darkness and stuck to being unbeatable as apposed to rubbersuit guys who look like the Ghost of Mars monsters.

Ironically In AVP anderson went the first route which ruined the movie with over the top awful fight scenes and then in AVP2 made the film so dark you couldnt see anything at all.

I think Anderson has good ideas he just needs a co-director or someone more hands on to guide what hes trying to emote in his films.

piscian:

As for the movie the story and acting were great and the cinematography was great but as noticed on some Andersons other duds, the fight and action sequences often looked goofy and poorly shot, like the silly MMA guy fight. In true alien fashion the monsters should have been shot in darkness and stuck to being unbeatable as apposed to rubbersuit guys who look like the Ghost of Mars monsters.

Agreed. The creature design was the only thing I disliked about this movie. Their look would have been fine, where it not for the silly 80s-post-apokalypse-movie-costumes.

piscian:
Cecil I'm a huge fan of pandorum, but (and I'm gonna need to go watch it to remind myself) you mentioned they'd slept too long like 8 years, but at the end we learn thats not true, theyd been asleep for 800 years. I think you forgot to clarify that at the end. That the messed up sleep shift turned out to be wrong. I hope Im making sense. You said it turned out 800 years had passed but did not mention that the initial sleep mix up turned out to be false.

Ironically In AVP anderson went the first route which ruined the movie with over the top awful fight scenes and then in AVP2 made the film so dark you couldnt see anything at all.

I think Anderson has good ideas he just needs a co-director or someone more hands on to guide what hes trying to emote in his films.

In the beginning, they thought they were out for 8 years. It wasn't until the end that they revealed it was 800. I'm pretty sure I stressed that but I've been fighting a chest cold all week (hence the voice) so maybe the dayquil/nyquil combo made my head cloudy,

The outfits the monsters were wearing was intentional. They wanted them to look like they would be wearing material that they found on the ship. I rather liked the look but then I've always been partial to the post apocalyptic stuff. They were supposed to be savages and thus, wearing savage like clothing.

While Bolt had more to do with the production, it seemed Anderson was the one who suggested they include the MMA fight. It didn't bother me because really, it was the only elongated fight in the whole film. They spent most of the time running.

AVP was ruined by FOX who panicked at the last minute and cut out 30-40 minutes of the film which has yet to be restored. They also edited out most of the violence to ensure the PG-13 rating. (hence how choppy the editing is) Anderson had nothing to do with the sequel, he wasn't even a producer. It was directed by the SFX backgrounded duo of the Brothers Strause, the guys who did Skyline.

CecilT:

piscian:

In the beginning, they thought they were out for 8 years. It wasn't until the end that they revealed it was 800. I'm pretty sure I stressed that but I've been fighting a chest cold all week (hence the voice) so maybe the dayquil/nyquil combo made my head cloudy,

The outfits the monsters were wearing was intentional. They wanted them to look like they would be wearing material that they found on the ship. I rather liked the look but then I've always been partial to the post apocalyptic stuff. They were supposed to be savages and thus, wearing savage like clothing.

While Bolt had more to do with the production, it seemed Anderson was the one who suggested they include the MMA fight. It didn't bother me because really, it was the only elongated fight in the whole film. They spent most of the time running.

AVP was ruined by FOX who panicked at the last minute and cut out 30-40 minutes of the film which has yet to be restored. They also edited out most of the violence to ensure the PG-13 rating. (hence how choppy the editing is) Anderson had nothing to do with the sequel, he wasn't even a producer. It was directed by the SFX backgrounded duo of the Brothers Strause, the guys who did Skyline.

Sorry, Man its going around, My weekend flu turned into a sinus infection sunday, at the doctors there were 3 other people in line with the same deal.

Even trying to explain the time stuff shows how, I don't know if I wanna say convoluted or complex, the film was. I didn't remember anything about the evolution germ/code whatever, though maybe common audiences would be confused, to me, just 800 years of living without food in a dark wet haul was enough for me to accept the change. "The Descent" did something similar and it made sense though in a longer span I think.

Sigh now you owe us an exploring AVP! Yeah I did look up his other films and realized he was really wasn't that involved in AVP2 so my mistake there, its easy to want to bay blame him for anything with his name on it.

Its not quite the suits that bothered me. Like you showed the make and everything looked awesome especially that kid hunter. I think it was more the way they were filmed and the lighting in the latter half of the film that bugged me, it went from claustrophobia to this planet of the apes kind of brawl. It just didn't work for me. All was forgiven when they reach the surface. One of the few films in this variety where Im almost angry there wasn't a sequel. There was some much they could have done. Hell Avatar and that awful Will smith movie give you a pretty good idea of where to go with it.

I personally loved this movie and wish there were more like it. The way the evolved monsters' movements were edited was unique. Since it was kinda choppy, it made them seem more animalistic and fierce. That last scene, with that music that gets so easily planted at the base of my cerebrum, was iconic, practically defines sci-fi IMO.

I watched about half the video and had to stop it. I wanted to avoid any more spoilers and ordered the movie on BLuray. Can't wait to see it :D.

piscian:
Sorry, Man its going around, My weekend flu turned into a sinus infection sunday, at the doctors there were 3 other people in line with the same deal.

Even trying to explain the time stuff shows how, I don't know if I wanna say convoluted or complex, the film was. I didn't remember anything about the evolution germ/code whatever, though maybe common audiences would be confused, to me, just 800 years of living without food in a dark wet haul was enough for me to accept the change. "The Descent" did something similar and it made sense though in a longer span I think.

Sigh now you owe us an exploring AVP! Yeah I did look up his other films and realized he was really wasn't that involved in AVP2 so my mistake there, its easy to want to bay blame him for anything with his name on it.

Its not quite the suits that bothered me. Like you showed the make and everything looked awesome especially that kid hunter. I think it was more the way they were filmed and the lighting in the latter half of the film that bugged me, it went from claustrophobia to this planet of the apes kind of brawl. It just didn't work for me. All was forgiven when they reach the surface. One of the few films in this variety where Im almost angry there wasn't a sequel. There was some much they could have done. Hell Avatar and that awful Will smith movie give you a pretty good idea of where to go with it.

Its all good. My wife is a teacher so once fall hits she's always bringing home whatever her students have and passing it on to me. I'm feeling better but still sound awful. I'm hoping to have it kicked before I record this week.

On the movie, I don't think it was overly complicated, its just one of those films that benefits from multiple viewings. (like Blade Runner) Side note, I love the Descent.

I'd love to do a video on AVP but Fox are being copyright pains and will flag anyone who dares to do one of their movies, which results in months long battles with them. Its just not worth it to spend weeks researching something, only to have their overzealous lawyers send a takedown notice. Its a crazy story though. The movie was 2 weeks from theaters and still wasn't rated because one of the producers panicked. (this was during the whole PG-13 scare in 2004)

Thats fine. I kind of liked the intensity of them trying to reset the reactor and escaping the cannibals. I would have preferred it not so shaky cam but the film was so strong otherwise, it didn't bother me. I could see it not working for everyone.

Its still new enough that a sequel isn't entirely out of the question but Hollywood seems more intent on giving sequels to movies that absolutely don't need them. (like Cabin in the Woods...How do you make a sequel to this?!) I was perfectly fine with 1 Avatar, no need for 4 more. I'd rather Cameron move on to something else. He's not getting any younger and if he makes 4 more Avatar movies, they will probably be his last 4 movies.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.