FUNNY MEMES FOR FUNNY PEOPLE

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I actually wonder if these memes will last the test of time and be remembered and observed in the future, or will just die out and no-one will ever care.

Currently this is my favorite meme:

I'm a dickhead and I'm proud. :3

Dr. Crawver:
I actually wonder if these memes will last the test of time and be remembered and observed in the future, or will just die out and no-one will ever care.

When was the last time you saw Kilroy? A meme has value in a specific cultural context, and there's no reason not to discard it for a more fitting one as the culture changes. They are by their nature transient.

OT: Peeing Calvin can't be part of Grandpa's childhood memories. That strip only started in 1985, and if Grandpa associates it with childhood that means that I am really old.

I blame Reddit for this bullshit. A funny picture with a caption is an image macro and harrassment isn't trolling.

In my parts of the internet the word meme was more like a word for an online trend or joke. And trolling was just being an idiot for a reaction, but ultimately being harmless.

Dr. Crawver:

I'd say both: they'll continue on and be remembered, but no one will ever care. :P

"...And we didn't go backpacking around Europe either; we bombed the shit out of it."

EDIT:

"...AND YOU - YOU CARRY THAT, THAT...THAT...GUITARRR!!"

The Wooster:
FUNNY MEMES FOR FUNNY PEOPLE

Being this new.

Read Full Article

You be trolling, bro

Is this memes?

Thunderous Cacophony:

OT: Peeing Calvin can't be part of Grandpa's childhood memories. That strip only started in 1985, and if Grandpa associates it with childhood that means that I am really old.

I'm 36, and at least one person I know that I graduated high school with has grandkids. C&H was a big part of my childhood, so it's not completely out of possibility. Of course, the age of the Grandpa in this strip must be the exaggerated view of youth or something.

I wonder how he feels about the people on Youtube who punch and/or grope people while being filmed by a secret camera and then go "Its just a prank, bro!" I'd love to meet one of these guys while they're doing that crap. "Don't worry buddy, I know I broke your arm and smashed your face into the concrete, but it was just a prank, a counterprank if you will."

Dr. Crawver:

When was the last time you were rickrolled? Or saw nyan cat?

Obligatory
Sorry, Grey. I'm a meme spouting chode that will no sooner give up my 2005 sense of humor than I would my cocker spaniel Fjord. I still manage to chuckle whenever I see the "Know that feel" face Photoshop'd on something.

----------------

I will say this though, the term's been a tad bit bastardized. Meme is essentially just a dumb internet word for "running gag". Putting words on any ol' reactionary pic does not a meme make. It's gotta have a pre-established context behind it that can then be applied to certain responses and situations. The humor comes from how it lines up with said situation. Or y'know... at least that's how I always saw them as a teenager.

Unexpected John Cena = Meme
The words "what am I looking at?" strewn across a picture of Johnny Depp staring disapprovingly = Not a meme

Sorry, Dad.

Caramel Frappe:
I love how much influences memes actually have on the media. I mean, Grumpy Cat became a movie and other memes made their way into television shows / video games (looking at you MGS: R with Raiden in it) ... so yeah XD

And just like the movie Jinxed, I can never forget the Grumpy Cat movie because it premiered on my birthday... :P

OT: My favorite memes come from both The Boondocks and Futurama... because they can also double as internet education... :p

Other than that, everyone should know about the Rules of Nature... because only the strong survive...

Dr. Crawver:

I had to.

edit: screwed up post and quote and stuff, so i'll just say that someone asked when the last time I was rickrolled, and I responded that EC just hid a rickrolling in their latest Extra History

Memes = jokes for people who have no talent to be funny themselves. Trolling is for people who've no clue what comedic timing is.

I've always looked at it like this: You know those references your parents were always making to individual lines from things you never saw or heard because they weren't popular enough to endure, but they must have been inside jokes between them and somebody else at some point in their lives? Memes are our generation's version of that.

As for people who completely misunderstand what memes even are, I blame those sites that invite you to "make your own meme". When's the next dot-com crash going to come along and bury garbage sites like those? At least the companies that died in the first one were real companies with real products to sell; it's kind of depressing that the real money was in selling ad space on a site that does nothing but regurgitate other people's unjokes.

Goddamn kids these days.

Seriously though, I swear I've aged thirty years in the last six months or so. Someone described their 'eyebrow game' as 'strong' the other day. What the fuck is an eyebrow game? SPEAK ENGLISH PEOPLE.

TheRightToArmBears:
Goddamn kids these days.

Seriously though, I swear I've aged thirty years in the last six months or so. Someone described their 'eyebrow game' as 'strong' the other day. What the fuck is an eyebrow game? SPEAK ENGLISH PEOPLE.

It could have been worse, they could have been 'on fleek.' :D

NinjaDeathSlap:

TheRightToArmBears:
Goddamn kids these days.

I think if my bae said that I'd have to kill them.

TheRightToArmBears:

NinjaDeathSlap:

TheRightToArmBears:
Goddamn kids these days.

I think if my bae said that I'd have to kill them.

I dunno, man. That sounds pretty sus, IMO.

If there ever was a Nürnberg trial about memes and their origin, then we would all be hanged.

Halla Burrica:

Dr. Crawver:

I had to.

I thought the most infamous meme from MGR:R was "Nanomachines, son!"

VanQ:
I blame Reddit for this bullshit. A funny picture with a caption is an image macro and harrassment isn't trolling.

In my parts of the internet the word meme was more like a word for an online trend or joke. And trolling was just being an idiot for a reaction, but ultimately being harmless.

I thought that was 4chan who invented that.

Darth_Payn:

I thought the most infamous meme from MGR:R was "Nanomachines, son!"

VanQ:

I thought that was 4chan who invented that.

I blame Reddit for popularizing the misuse of the words. I'm well aware 4chan is where they were born. Well, trolling was born on Something Awful, iirc.

FPLOON:
Other than that, everyone should know about the Rules of Nature... because only the fittest survive...

Fixed.
Most of people do the mistake. And then pull an adolf (be strong or be dead) or a plato (humans and nature are different beasts, because humans protect weak things, therefore humans are above nature's laws).

BTW, is the godwin point a meme?

I had to write a small paper on a meme propagation model based on twitter.
It simulated an abstract set of hashtags, and simulated followers and retweets, and came to the conclusion that you don't need many parameters and only very simple rules for each user to gain data that resembles actual twitter user data.

And I don't really bother when people call image macros "memes", because technically they are, and I can't be bothered to educate everyone. It's just that when people start defending "meme culture" like you see on 9gag or reddit sometimes, I just leave.

Caramel Frappe:
I love how much influences memes actually have on the media. I mean, Grumpy Cat became a movie and other memes made their way into television shows / video games (looking at you MGS: R with Raiden in it) ... so yeah XD

Excuse me while I go and bash my head against a wall until I forget I saw this.

OT: I probably shouldn't admit this, but I am actually quite fond of the Expand Dong meme.

They will forever be "image macros" to me.

MarsAtlas:
I wonder how he feels about the people on Youtube who punch and/or grope people while being filmed by a secret camera and then go "Its just a prank, bro!" I'd love to meet one of these guys while they're doing that crap. "Don't worry buddy, I know I broke your arm and smashed your face into the concrete, but it was just a prank, a counterprank if you will."

Dr. Crawver:

It's worth pointing out I mean like the concept of memes as jokes on the internet, as opposed to specific memes in general.

mtarzaim02:

FPLOON:
Other than that, everyone should know about the Rules of Nature... because only the survive...

Fixed.
Most of people do the mistake. And then pull an adolf (be strong or be dead) or a plato (humans and nature are different beasts, because humans protect weak things, therefore humans are above nature's laws).

BTW, is the godwin point a meme?

Not sure if that godwin's a meme, though...

I always thought that memes were at least partially ephemeral. If the context behind it is strong enough, it can endure for years on end. Take the Trololo Guy as an example. There's a lot of these, though, that don't have this much luck. A few more are still fondly remembered, but mostly considered to be part of the old guard - the things you quote, but rarely ever use as an actual meme anymore. Stuff like "All your base", for instance. Slapping UBOA's face over everything is no longer trendy and hasn't been seen in a solid decade, in comparison, and the Slender Man Mythos is starting to show its age, with only the core content creators still insisting on keeping their ARGs going.

As for the Godwin Point, I don't think it's a meme so much as it's a Social Studies metric that's been thrown out of whack by the Internet. Plenty of people still end up comparing something or other to Nazi Germany, but I haven't seen a lot of comments mentioning the Godwin Point in recent years. At best, I'd say it's merged with the "You never go full retard" meme, the use of WWII sentiment or general pandering being comparable to a lack of worthwhile arguments for some - or a case of mental retardation.

MarsAtlas:

Dr. Crawver:

Last week, to the latter one, at a site which uses it as a mascot but which I cannot link here because I like not being banned.

I think the big problem with memes is that most of them are essentially just big inside jokes.

At least, that's how it seems. When you get the meme, it's funny, when you don't, it's somewhere between bland and head-tilting confusion. The best part about memes is that they have a very short shelf life. Give it a couple months or so, and it will soon be on it's way out for the next "teh funni maymay" or whatever.

Meme != joke, memes were originally meant to be to society what genes are to people. 4chan/Reddit/everyone on the internet who's in the pissing contest invented the other form of memes which is a kind of cultural joke for the internet, one of the key parts of it being a meme is that it recurs and is accepted. It has to spread and be recognised, that's why the word meme is used. If it doesn't spread then it's not a part of our 'social DNA' and so it's just a joke or an image macro. They're distinct.

I'm surprised at how high and mighty people get over memes. Some are amusing, some are not and memes themselves can have terrible jokes amongst them. I used to find Insanity Wolf funny but people seem to often miss the point with them.

Anyway, a meme is the overall template or common theme which the culture uses. Coined by everyone on the internet after the word coined by Dawkins to talk about a kind of social gene. Memetic influence yay.

FPLOON:

Caramel Frappe:

And just like the movie Jinxed, I can never forget the Grumpy Cat movie because it premiered on my birthday... :P

OT: My favorite memes come from both The Boondocks

wat. what meme comes from the boondocks...? I MUST KNOW.

OT: I do have to laugh how salty people get over meme's, I mean sure, I have some that I personally don't find funny or widespread, but I don't get all huffy puffy about it.

EyeReaper:
"teh funni maymay" .

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkk.... I do cringe when people pronounce meme that way IRL...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here