Zero Punctuation: SOMA

Pages PREV 1 2

Apparently, I am Ubisoft when it comes to self-service buffets... Although, I think I'm more like Nintendo, given how my second and third dish are "different" than my first, but my fourth dish looks too "similar" to my first dish especially when you squint your eyes hard enough...

Other than that, now I want nipple penises that shoot breast sperm just so that I can say "I laughed so hard, I shot breast sperm out of my nipple testicles" in response to the question of nipple penises having testicles... Although, now that I think about it, if they'd had about two testicle-shaped lumps on each nipple penis, then that could just mean that it's a[nother] form of breast cancer... :p

QuadFish:
SNIP

Thanatos2k:
Did you watch the video? He says that aspect of the game which seems included for Youtube fodder detracted from the game which would have worked perfectly fine without it. And that the rest of the game was good.

Yes, he said the game, which is a horror game, shouldn't have bothered to have monsters in it, and implied that the monsters are only there so that people on YouTube could overreact to them, even though its creators have been making horror games with monsters in them since the first game they ever made and one of them is one of his favorite games ever.

Maybe he's saying that horror games with monsters in them are passé now and that a decent studio should recognize that and stop making them in order to stay ahead of the curve, like how he expected everyone to stop making modern military shooters immediately once Spec Ops came out. That's still a pretty stupid assertion.

Silentpony:

QuadFish:
SNIP

MORE SNIP

Sorry if I went off-topic, but this is as much about my general dislike of "none of it was real" fan theories (like that latest Indiana Jones one) as it is about Soma.

QuadFish:
SNIP

Steve the Pocket:

Thanatos2k:
Did you watch the video? He says that aspect of the game which seems included for Youtube fodder detracted from the game which would have worked perfectly fine without it. And that the rest of the game was good.

Yes, he said the game, which is a horror game, shouldn't have bothered to have monsters in it, and implied that the monsters are only there so that people on YouTube could overreact to them, even though its creators have been making horror games with monsters in them since the first game they ever made and one of them is one of his favorite games ever.

Maybe he's saying that horror games with monsters in them are passé now and that a decent studio should recognize that and stop making them in order to stay ahead of the curve, like how he expected everyone to stop making modern military shooters immediately once Spec Ops came out. That's still a pretty stupid assertion.

He's saying THIS GAME would have been a better horror game WITHOUT the monsters there to be Youtube overreaction fodder. I fail to see why this is a bad argument. Are you saying there can't be a horror game without monsters to fight?

@Silentpony:

Silentpony:
Snip.

Ahem...pardon me for being absurdly late to this little party, but having just finished the game myself, I just wanted to point something out. :P

I feel I have a pretty solid understanding of the plot, so if you'd like to throw any questions at me feel free to send me a PM (or we can duke it out here if you prefer :P). Hell, I even fully understand why the monsters are actually in the game in the first place, something that Yahtzee apparently missed since he thinks they were shoehorned in just so the game could still wear the "Hello: I'm A Horror Game" badge. They actually do have a purpose that ties in entirely with the story.

I just finished it myself. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

The reason they discourage looking at monsters is likely that, ironically, the AI is barely sophisticated enough to walk in a circle. A modder once said that the pathing in Amnesia: The Dark Descent is linear at best and unpredictable at worst. Luckily there weren't too many of those encounters.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here