Game Theory: Leave PewDiePie Alone!

Leave PewDiePie Alone!

Lately, gamers and YouTube celebrities have been getting A LOT of flak from TV and other news publications. From articles that dismiss us to videos that outright attack and make fun of us. Be it Jimmy Kimmel questioning video games as entertainment with the launch of the YouTube Gaming app to the Teen Choice Awards purposely mispronouncing PewDiePie's name. What is going on here? Why is there so much hate going on right now? You might think it just has to do with views...but there's A LOT more at play...

Watch Video

I thought it was a decent video. The point about the magazine covers was a good one. Tempting to say that Kimmel is just a comedian and PewDiePie is an easy target because of his shtick, but it follows the trend of comedians/media speaking insultingly of gaming any chance they get.

What you are describing is nothing but a generational thing. I remember a joke that Mozart's father was complaining about how Mozart's compositions wasn't really music.

I have to concede that there is a financial motive why established media wants to discredit YouTube celebrities. They will do that until they can find a way to profit from them.

All this complaining about Old Media trolling YouTube fans about video games did remind me how Anita Sarkeesian became popular. Her Feminist Frequency channel wasn't successful. Until, video games fans complained about her video about Bayonetta. ...And the rest is history.

If anything, doesn't society's continued and increasing interest in these youtube sensations just show the ineffectiveness of these people to impact our decisions in situations like this?

Honestly, who cares? TV is dying. Youtubers are on the rise. This is just them making a scene before they go the way of the dinosaurs.

I watched a bit but ended up skimming through most of the video. You spent 90% of the video whining about youtubers being made fun of. I'm definitely not the target audience. I do game or am a gamer or whatever the fuck it is you people wanna label people that play videogames like were in the same club or something(we are not) and I think youtube personalities have ruined youtube with their on screen narcissism and click begging. I thought Kimmel was onpoint. Also while were at it you can cry a river because the owners of youtube are preparing to shut all that shit down because the hosting costs versus what they get in ad revenue has made youtube unprofitable for everyone except the personalities.

*waits politely for suspension for disagreeing with the lords of content*

I'm fairly sure that "traditional" celebrities get mocked in much the same way by other groups. Especially in the UK, where panel shows take the piss out of everyone from politicians and Kardashian-style celebrities to other guests and even audience members. Comedy is comedy, and everyone's fair game.

What I think is a good point is the 'serious' articles disregarding these web entertainers. These articles that are supposed to be insightful or deliver some news being downright bias to the new shouldn't happen.

And I say that as someone who feels that PewDiePie and his ilk are a ridiculous phenomenon, and that such a fortune made from the babbling weirdness (not in a good way) that they put out is completely barmy, and I honestly would say unjustified. I also, however, feel that footballers get paid an obscene amount for what they do so one can't say that I too am biased against a new generation of entertainment.
Besides, when you think about it, both groups that I mentioned essentially play a game and scream incoherently about it and bafflingly manage to pull millions of viewers and millions of pounds.

ambitiousmould:
I'm fairly sure that "traditional" celebrities get mocked in much the same way by other groups. Especially in the UK, where panel shows take the piss out of everyone from politicians and Kardashian-style celebrities to other guests and even audience members. Comedy is comedy, and everyone's fair game.

What I think is a good point is the 'serious' articles disregarding these web entertainers. These articles that are supposed to be insightful or deliver some news being downright bias to the new shouldn't happen.

And I say that as someone who feels that PewDiePie and his ilk are a ridiculous phenomenon, and that such a fortune made from the babbling weirdness (not in a good way) that they put out is completely barmy, and I honestly would say unjustified. I also, however, feel that footballers get paid an obscene amount for what they do so one can't say that I too am biased against a new generation of entertainment.
Besides, when you think about it, both groups that I mentioned essentially play a game and scream incoherently about it and bafflingly manage to pull millions of viewers and millions of pounds.

From what I can tell, he's no more or less ridiculous than the Kardashians.

UniversalAC:
From what I can tell, he's no more or less ridiculous than the Kardashians.

If I came across as saying the Kardashians aren't ridiculous, I reckon I did something very, very wrong. They are utterly ridiculous. As in, I seriously can't believe that the ground they walk on doesn't just shrivel from sheer bewilderment that this toxic entity is even a thing. (For the record, I would have said that the Kardashians don't deserve the ludicrous amounts they earn for what they do, but I have no idea what they do, if anything).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here