Zero Punctuation: Rock Band 4

Rock Band 4

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Rock Band 4.

Watch Video

Alright! Alright! I'll finally buy Rock Band 4 Undertale! This video has convinced me!

Other than that, I forgot the game had a freestyle mode... Shows how I know about the 4...

Yahtzee tells me to buy Undertale instead and I say "Yahtzee, you oblivious plate of Yorkshire Pie. I've already bought it and beaten it. Everyone I know has, and my social media pages are overloaded with conversation about that glorious game."

But seriously though - BUY UNDERTALE. IT'S SO GOOD!

Well, I can't say I'm too surprised that the new Rock Band game isn't particularly appealing, even with the 'solo' feature. Seems like those games rely on "technique" and the solo doesn't have much.

Can't you just put a giant "Spoiler alert" before a ZP Undertale article? I mean, you've technically talked about it in Extra Punctuation. Right now, it doesn't seem like Undertale will be allowed in the Top 5 (it hasn't been reviewed yet.)
(Before saying I'm off-topic, please look at the last 5 seconds of the video, thanks)

Aptspire:
Well, I can't say I'm too surprised that the new Rock Band game isn't particularly appealing, even with the 'solo' feature. Seems like those games rely on "technique" and the solo doesn't have much.

Can't you just put a giant "Spoiler alert" before a ZP Undertale article? I mean, you've technically talked about it in Extra Punctuation. Right now, it doesn't seem like Undertale will be allowed in the Top 5 (it hasn't been reviewed yet.)
(Before saying I'm off-topic, please look at the last 5 seconds of the video, thanks)

Yahtzee's rules for the top 5 are that he has to PLAY the game in the year it came out, not necessarily do a full review of it. He put Steel Battallion: Heavy Armour in his bottom 5 back in 2012, and only briefly glanced upon it
I say Undertale is a solid candidate for his top 5.

Once you get Free Bird, it's all downhill from there. Anyhow, it isn't just a white boy fantasy, i'm a big brown bear and still workin' towards the dream, man!
I gave up on these games a while ago when they got all over-excited with their releases. That and i should've been practicing the real thing, but there is no illusionary crowd telling me how fantastic i am at clicking along to their sinister tests.
Lastly, these games could very well be part of a huge conspiracy by rock stars to distract potential future competition from practicing the real thing. HashtagJustsaying y'all...

Okay, the story in the ending credits animation was by far the funniest part of the episode. I don't usually watch them, but for some reason I was transfixed by the animation of him rubbing a cat on a guitar

Once you buy something you shouldn't have to keep paying for it and that includes video games if bought it then no micro transactions

Did Yahtzee just hint at an Undertale review? Okay maybe now I'm a little tempted by this....

gillnavisingh:

Give me a reason why that isn't spoiler-iffic. The art style, music, and combat system are not valid reasons, because I don't care for any of those very much.

Back on topic, *ahem* Can't you turn the freestyle solos off? If not, I might need to reconsider picking Rock Band up. Which is sad, because I'm certainly not buying that thing that killed Guitar Hero, ripped its face off, and is wearing it as a mask in a vain hope to pass as the original.

Captcha: here's johnny

All these people talking about Undertale are starting to come across like Jack Torrence does.

SlumlordThanatos:

gillnavisingh:

Give me a reason why that isn't spoiler-iffic. The art style, music, and combat system are not valid reasons, because I don't care for any of those very much.

Yahtzee himself indicates that the writing is excellent, and it even got him to tear up a bit at the end of the true ending. If the game's story, complex characters, humour and clever subversions of gaming tropes doesn't sway you, then maybe you'd like the fact that this game plays you more than you play it because it knows what actions you're liable to take one way or another.

Just realised I only recently tend to comment on ZP videos when I'm griping, which isn't fair in the slightest. Funniest one I've watched in a while.

Meanwhile, Rocksmith...

Rhythm games died out because they released way too goddamn many of them in such a short span of time(I think there were like 12 Guitar Hero games released in a 12 month span in 2008-2009) and because they all cost a lot more then a regular game because of the instruments, so people quickly got sick of the franchise being milked to death.

Guitar Hero's Live's microtransactions are even worse then Rock Band 4's, at least Rock Band 4 still lets you own songs, but in Live you're at the mercy of whatever songs are available that day on their streaming service and you have to pay for tokens for the right to play them, so if you don't like any of the songs available on the day you decided to play, then you're shit out of luck(I can only imagine how irritating that would be at a party), I can only imagine how much that would piss Yahtzee off if he decides to review Live.

That's by far the most despicable and egregious use of microtransactions i've ever seen in a game, it makes the microtransactions in Dead Space 3 and AC: Unity look downright reasonable by comparison.

No way in hell am I going to blow 80-150 dollars on a game where I can't even own songs, I don't care how innovative the live crowd interaction system is, i'll never be able to get into it knowing that if I fail a song it won't be my fault, it'll be the game's fault for constantly cycling through songs thus not giving me enough time to properly learn how to play them in the first fucking place unless I want to spend even more money on tokens just for the mere privilege of playing the fucking songs in the first place.

Can you tell i'm really pissed off at Activision lately?

LordTerminal:
Did Yahtzee just hint at an Undertale review? Okay maybe now I'm a little tempted by this....

I thought he said in his Extra Puncuation this week he can't do a full review, because there's basically a massive game coming out every week for the rest of the year and UnderTale really doesn't have enough meat on it. Its all of two hours long and is basically alright.
Hard to make a snarky 5min video on that.

I just hope I can download the same songs as before, if I bought them from the previous version.

You can buy 25 copies of Undertale for the price of Rock Band 4.

Leon Royce:
Meanwhile, Rocksmith...

Yeah. After buying that I lost all interest in plastic instrument games. If only the DLC songs weren't so expensive that buying them outside of a sale is a reason to put you into an asylum.

Is there a way to turn off the make your own solos thing and just play the original? I've been wanting to get back into rhythm games and tossing up between which of the two to get. I'm not a fan of Guitar Hero Live's microtransactions, but at the same time I don't really want to do create-a-solo in Rock band 4. Decisions, decisions.

Leon Royce:
Meanwhile, Rocksmith...

Amen, man. Really hope they jump the bandwagon and announce a new version soon. Then again, 2014 was almost perfect.

Kingjackl:
Is there a way to turn off the make your own solos thing and just play the original? I've been wanting to get back into rhythm games and tossing up between which of the two to get. I'm not a fan of Guitar Hero Live's microtransactions, but at the same time I don't really want to do create-a-solo in Rock band 4. Decisions, decisions.

Yes, the freestyle solo feature can be turned off simply and without penalty. It's just an additional gimmick.

Rock Band 4's gameplay hasn't changed much since the previous installment. If you still enjoy these games (like I do), that's a good thing. If you're tired of them, then probably steer clear. FYI there will apparently not be a Rock Band 5 in this console generation, instead Rock Band 4 will be updated via patches (mostly free) so the blizzard of titles we got before hopefully won't happen, at least to the same extent.

themutantlizard:
Once you buy something you shouldn't have to keep paying for it and that includes video games if bought it then no micro transactions

So, do you think this game should just not allow you to play more than the 40 or so songs it comes with, or that Harmonix should have offered access to the entire Rock Band Network library for free, and eaten the licensing cost of several thousand dollars per copy in order to make you happy?

Granted, it would be nice if buying a song through Rock Band Network also netted you an MP3 of the song, in the same way that buying a ringtone on iTunes, back in the day, also got you the song or knocked a dollar off the price if you already had it... but I wouldn't really want to store my music library on my game box anyway. An arrangement like that would fare better on Steam, where you can download the song onto your PC and then transfer it to whatever else you play music on.

Great Gobblecock, I know AAA games have only increased in price over the last few years but they reeeeeeally seem to be taking the piss lately. Lego Dimensions = £100, Playstation Anniversary pack = £100, Rock Band = £200! What the fack!? I get that it's nearing the holiday season but do one, games industry!

I think it would be cool for Yahtzee to wait until the new year doldrums to do a Undertale review, might be interesting to see if/how his opinion changes after a bit. Not to mention I havn't played it yet, hard to do without a Steam account though, I hope it comes to the 3DS.

themutantlizard:

But new songs aren't what you paid for when you bought the game. When you buy an iPhone do you think you should be entitled to all of the songs on the iTunes storefront? A lot of work and money (licensing fees, etc) has to go into charting new DLC, it's not sustainable to give them for free.

Whenever I try and run a video on this site first a commercial plays. Then a promo for this site plays that prominently features Jim Sterling who I thought you fired. After that is over the actual video that I wanted to watch (ZP) never plays. It has been this way for a couple of weeks now.
Apparently the video is working for others judging by the comments but not for me

proghead:

Leon Royce:
Meanwhile, Rocksmith...

Yeah. After buying that I lost all interest in plastic instrument games. If only the DLC songs weren't so expensive that buying them outside of a sale is a reason to put you into an asylum.

You should check out:

http://customsforge.com/

There are thousands of user made Rocksmith 2014 songs. You just need to copy a modified file called "D3DX9_42.dll" into your rocksmith steam folder. Then you will be able to access user made songs placed in the DLC folder. There should be instructions somewhere on the site or elsewhere online.

I don't remember where to find the modified D3DX9 file specifically, but looking around on google you shouldn't have any trouble.

desverger:

Kingjackl:

Yes, the freestyle solo feature can be turned off simply and without penalty. It's just an additional gimmick.

Rock Band 4's gameplay hasn't changed much since the previous installment. If you still enjoy these games (like I do), that's a good thing. If you're tired of them, then probably steer clear. FYI there will apparently not be a Rock Band 5 in this console generation, instead Rock Band 4 will be updated via patches (mostly free) so the blizzard of titles we got before hopefully won't happen, at least to the same extent.

Good to know. Yeah, I'd rather just start fresh with RB4 and supplement the song list with DLC. If there's any game type where I'm ok with microtransactions, it's music games. Guitar Hero Live sounds interesting, but I'd rather stick with the old familiar.

Timf:
Whenever I try and run a video on this site first a commercial plays. Then a promo for this site plays that prominently features Jim Sterling who I thought you fired. After that is over the actual video that I wanted to watch (ZP) never plays. It has been this way for a couple of weeks now.
Apparently the video is working for others judging by the comments but not for me

Just use Adblock, problem solved.

@Michael Prymula
I'll try that Thanks. I just watched it on you tube anyway.

Silvanus:
Just realised I only recently tend to comment on ZP videos when I'm griping, which isn't fair in the slightest. Funniest one I've watched in a while.

It just feels strange to post when you're not griping.

- How was that chocolate cake?
- It was okay. But I expected more.

4 Non Blondes, not 3...

SlumlordThanatos:

gillnavisingh:

Back on topic, *ahem* Can't you turn the freestyle solos off? If not, I might need to reconsider picking Rock Band up. Which is sad, because I'm certainly not buying that thing that killed Guitar Hero, ripped its face off, and is wearing it as a mask in a vain hope to pass as the original.

Captcha: here's johnny

All these people talking about Undertale are starting to come across like Jack Torrence does.

I haven't bought Undertale, but I DID play the demo back when that came out, and that absolutely had me sold. I recommend giving that a shot, then, because it's very hard to describe what's good about Undertale without giving it away, because the mechanics are worked into the story itself, not unlike death in Demon's Souls being canon, but even deeper than that. Don't forget to read the manual fully both before and after finishing it =D

http://undertale.com/demo.htm

Leon Royce:

proghead:

Leon Royce:
Meanwhile, Rocksmith...

You should check out:

http://customsforge.com/

There are thousands of user made Rocksmith 2014 songs. You just need to copy a modified file called "D3DX9_42.dll" into your rocksmith steam folder. Then you will be able to access user made songs placed in the DLC folder. There should be instructions somewhere on the site or elsewhere online.

I don't remember where to find the modified D3DX9 file specifically, but looking around on google you shouldn't have any trouble.

Thanks. I shall check that out.

SlumlordThanatos:

Wasn't Rockband made by the original people behind of Guitar Hero after their studio ripped them off and transfered their idea to new cheaper group for Guitar Hero 2?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here