The Park Review - Not Quite As Amusing As Some

I watched this being played in it's first 25 minutes and to me it gives barely any motivation for getting back my shit kid.

The Park Review - Not Quite As Amusing As Some

The story of The Park opened the door to an interesting world - but shut it just as quick with its short length and somewhat predictable end.

Read Full Article

Saw a playthrough of this a while ago. It was an interesting idea, but kind of poorly executed. Not all bad, but there were just parts where the tone of the character kind of just went from worried Mom to psycho lady in the same few moments. Worrying about her son at one point, talking about how she hates him and should just leave him to die, and then back to desperately trying to find him again.

The story just didn't feel like it had a good consistent flow. It was a bit better near the end, but by then I figured out where it was going, and it still felt a bit confused.

So yeah. Good idea, but could have been done better.

I saw Jim Sterling's squirty play and it didn't enthral me at all, first "dizzy spell" of the main character, then the dilapidated state of the park and I came to the conclusion the kid was most likely already dead. my interest dropped and then I skipped to the end of Jim's video to see him wondering the same thing.

I don't know though, it seems too obvious.. but when everyone is saying it is very predictable. I don't know what other conclusion to draw.

Nick Tomasheski:
(Snip).

Is it Lorraine or Lorainne? You spelt it both ways.

EDIT: The writing in that trailer is not good. The line at the end sounds like it should be at the beginning, and she suddenly goes from narration into a character without any change.

I watched a playthrough and the writing just jarred the crap out of me, it jumped from all melancholic/whimsical to "WHERE IS MY CHILD!?"

Gee, just a guess...

The imagery looked kind of cool but it didn't really give you enough time to appreciate it.

Soulrender95:
I saw Jim Sterling's squirty play and it didn't enthral me at all, first "dizzy spell" of the main character, then the dilapidated state of the park and I came to the conclusion the kid was most likely already dead. my interest dropped and then I skipped to the end of Jim's video to see him wondering the same thing.

I don't know though, it seems too obvious.. but when everyone is saying it is very predictable. I don't know what other conclusion to draw.

Same here, Jim's video was really all I needed to see to convince me that this game was crap. Horror games need to be immersive otherwise what's the point? How can you be scared by a world if you're not drawn into it? The failing of this game is that the protagonist herself doesn't seem to be in the world. If I were at a theme park and it went from day to night in an instant while making the park look like it had been abandoned for years, I'd be put on edge right then. But the main character doesn't seem to care at all, just waxing philosophical about the nature of theme park entrances and swan boats and bumper cars. You right-click to have the protagonist call out for her child in a worried tone, but then she's just right back to musing about how she used to read Hansel and Gretel to her son and how she liked to imagine that they were like the kids in the story: up against a mean world out to get them at every turn.

Honestly, the scariest thing about this game was the protagonist's high-rise jeans. :P

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here