Warhammer End Times - Vermintide Review - Rats!

[i]Warhammer End Times - Vermintide[/I] Review - Rats!

Jump back into the world of Warhammer with this brand new shooter!

Read Full Article

The only thing this game seems to be missing are Orks.

I'm sure that's up next, though. It's just not Warhammer without greenskins.

SlumlordThanatos:

I'm glad they didn't put Orcs and Goblins in there. It's a very different style of game to be squaring off against a 7-foot greenskin, as opposed to a horde of hunched ratmen. Far better to stay focused on giving a cohesive, enjoyable experience than to try and fit all the many Warhammer foes into the game.

SlumlordThanatos:

I would say there's great potential for expansions/DLC for additional enemies or classes.

Once the campaign has been completed there's mention that there are other factions attacking the empire as well. Unfortunately Greenskins aren't mentioned among that number.

Either way, Vermintide is a solid game. Mechanics and combat work really well, only issue I find is that the dwarf, soldier and bright wizard outshine the other two. Soldier with his handgun can essentially one-shot any non-ogre mob with a headshot while the two-handed sword is great at clearing through hordes. Other classes don't seem to have that overall flexibility.

Abomination:

SlumlordThanatos:

I would say there's great potential for expansions/DLC for additional enemies or classes.

Once the campaign has been completed there's mention that there are other factions attacking the empire as well. Unfortunately Greenskins aren't mentioned among that number.

Either way, Vermintide is a solid game. Mechanics and combat work really well, only issue I find is that the dwarf, soldier and bright wizard outshine the other two. Soldier with his handgun can essentially one-shot any non-ogre mob with a headshot while the two-handed sword is great at clearing through hordes. Other classes don't seem to have that overall flexibility.

I didn't try the others, but I found the waywatcher(if I'm not misremembering the class name) to be rather versalite. Enough so that I could carry the mission almost entirely on my own when playing with bots. All she needs is a fast melee weapon(dualwielding swords so far works very well I've found) and a powerful bow(with my current one, I can oneshot most enemies if I don't mess up the aim). Though like I said I haven't tried the others. Mainly because the three dudes don't interest me and I just haven't gotten around to trying the bright wizard yet.

OT: The game is quite fun, but the AI of the bots is quite moronic. Which is rather problematic for those like me who prefer to stick with bots rather than having to deal with assholes online. I wish they could make them a bit smarter. Enough so to realize that my safety is priority nr 1 when I'm the only human player in the party. :U

Also the game is extremely full of catharsis for people like me who positively loathe skaven after reading the farcical writing they came loaded with in End Times. Even more so for the bs with their 'god' and shoving slaanesh into the fridge.

Couple of things. The Elf is a Waywatcher not a Waywarder and it's a Witch Hunter, not an Inquisitor (these are a 40k thing, despite the similar aesthetic).

That said, I've been really enjoying the game thus far, which is surprising as I don't go in for multiplayer games as a rule.

It's funny though, how my experiences with the different characters have varied from others in this thread (though a lot of this is kinda gear dependent). The Witch Hunter is at least as good as the Soldier, his rapier being fantastic at clearing swarms of chaff thanks to the speed, and with his pistols/crossbow he has a solid range option. While the Waywatcher is thus far my least favourite, inferior to the Witch Hunter in melee (similar damage but slower), inferior to the Wizard at range (can run out of ammo, no AOE, individual shots weaker) and seems to be one of the flimsiest health-wise.

Thunderous Cacophony:

SlumlordThanatos:

I'm glad they didn't put Orcs and Goblins in there. It's a very different style of game to be squaring off against a 7-foot greenskin, as opposed to a horde of hunched ratmen. Far better to stay focused on giving a cohesive, enjoyable experience than to try and fit all the many Warhammer foes into the game.

Tomg Kings DLC? :O

By which I mean can I be a bone giant.

ot: been enjoying it quite a bit with my bro Tizzy, trying to get a few others together as the game is rather difficult without a full group and can be savagely punishing at times.

I was hoping this game was a little more single player friendly. On the other hand, glad they didn't use Orcs and Goblins. Greenskins have been done to death, we need more variety.

SlumlordThanatos:

Well of course they didn't put Orks in they're from 40k ;) I'm hoping they add new enemies. I mean they don't even have the rats with sniper rifles or the ones with flame throwers.

CD-R:

SlumlordThanatos:

Well of course they didn't put Orks in they're from 40k ;) I'm hoping they add new enemies. I mean they don't even have the rats with sniper rifles or the ones with flame throwers.

Oh god Jezzails would be a pain. On the same vein though would love to see some plague censer bearers or rat hordes as well. The ending cinematic teases at possible chaos or vampire counts in the future though, so things to look forward to.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here