Five Ways Overwatch Is Better Than TF2 - One Way It's Worse

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Five Ways Overwatch Is Better Than TF2 - One Way It's Worse

Overwatch is one of a few shooters that will be at the forefront of the eSports scene in the years to come. Team Fortress 2 never quite found that success. What's the difference?

Read Full Article

Solid looking gameplay aside, the real quesion is: does Overwatch have a feature where you can high five the enemy team? No? Then better luck next time Blizz.

The Love and War update to TF2 is the best thing that ever happened to video games.

The Wykydtron:
Solid looking gameplay aside, the real quesion is: does Overwatch have a feature where you can high five the enemy team? No? Then better luck next time Blizz.

The Love and War update to TF2 is the best thing that ever happened to video games.

Oh come on, who the hell high fives!? CONGA CONGA CONGA!

Oh no!! Overwatch is going to be the TF2 Killer...

Yeah, right...

erttheking:

The Wykydtron:

*Obviously Fake Russian Accent* Ahaha, conga is for baby men, all real men use Kazortsky Kick Comrade. Unless you be a spy... Comrade Pyro, is your time to shine!

Heroes of the Storm was tremendously underwhelming, but Overwatch seems a lot more interesting and probably will get a better "MOBA" feel then their intended MOBA. Like how the heroes are so clearly defined.

As much as I am looking forward to this game, I did expect the point in Team Fortress 2's favour to be that it doesn't cost money.

To summarize the article: "Overwatch is a much better game, while TF2, umm... err... oh yeah, at least it has hats."

As someone who recently finally uninstalled TF2 for good, after many years, I say good for Overwatch, maybe Valve will at least fix some glaring bugs in TF2 which have been there forever. The game's engine, monkeypatched into oblivion just doesn't even work on my machine anymore after few recent updates, and all Valve does with it is adding new hats. Hats man, gotta have hats!

Gordon_4:
As much as I am looking forward to this game, I did expect the point in Team Fortress 2's favour to be that it doesn't cost money.

Personally I was thinking it would be the map design for official maps since TF2's are some of the best I've seen in gaming when one considers the gameplay involved. PlanetSide is pretty much the only other shooter I can think of where working as a team vs going lone wolf will make the difference between victory and defeat, and PlanetSide is an MMO.

The sensationalist headline combined with the lack of substance makes for a compelling read. I would like to bring into contention some of the items you have discussed here. Especially as you are(or were) a web site about gaming news we could go over some facts and some truths you seem to be missing. I concede to the first point you made. The overwatch settings looks very pretty.
Better than a game that was released in 2007 which I can assure you is no mean feat /s

Bringing me to your second point. You seem to unable to grasp one of the major intricacies of tf2. Which is every weapon other than the demo and some other exceptions have DAMAGE FALLOFF. The soldier as you pointed out has a rocket launcher a shotgun and a shovel as default. Which you seem to have shoehorned into your perceived notion that those weapons are primarily used in long, medium and melee ranged combat respectively. Which I can assure you is not how those weapons were designed to be used as the rocket launcher does much more damage close range then your shovel or your shotgun (the bullshit amount of crits melee weapons get not withstanding). Additionally I can't see how a demoman being able to wield a sword and a shield being a problem. You can see the sword from far enough away to clue you into the fact that they might be choosing a melee based build (exception being the invis watch the spy can wear but that equation normally renders down to if the spy was wearing a dead ringer or not). Isn't it kind of counter productive claiming putting down a game for a weapons based diversity in favour for champ based one. It's kind of like two sides of the same coin. you either have to make the player memorise lots of different player names/their silhouettes/their team role. Or you could make the player remember the types of weapons a certain class can equip but knowing that the weapons will generally fit the archetype of the class(our demo-knight being the exception of course).

Then you have the upward mobility point. In which you make yet more mistakes. Firstly saying there is a lack of mobility in tf2 classes which is inherently false. Scout, soldier, demo, medic and pyro have either mobility unlocks or have a boosted movement speed or with some skill can move just as fast as the soldier or demo (that last point was about the pyro rocket jumping abilities with reflected projectiles). I would suffice it to say as nearly every weapon is balanced on damage drop off getting in effective range to deal maximum damage is a skill players have to pick up. That is not to say the other four classes not effective. They just need to be played differently in order to be effective. Sniper is graced with a primary that is not affected by damage drop off. The engineer should not be close to the front lines. While the spy has arguably the best mobility in terms of being able to get behind the enemy as he can turn INVISIBLE. While the heavy is a tank, high health and being able to absolutely melt targets that are close range being his strong points.

Another point of contention is the fact you glaze over the fact that Overwatch seems to have removed much of the skill ceiling to the movement of the highly mobile characters. Being able to jet pack at the push of the button takes a lot of the skill out of playing Pharah. Which seems to have taken a lot of it's pointers from the soldier class which has an incredibly high skill ceiling even if we are talking about just rocket jumping(a community of dedicated jumpers are still up and running)
And finally the assumption that Overwatch will be an esport. I have no doubt that blizzard are going to push for this esport angle as hard as they can but if they are going to hit the mark and make it stick I'm not quite sure. HoTs was pushed pretty hard with them sponsoring a major tournament at blizzcon this year but without the numbers I can't be certain. However there seems to be a lack of players according to this reddit comment https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/3rib69/in_a_hilarious_twist_league_of_legends_is_now/cwod77v
but this could just be one players response to long matchmaking times or a series of seemingly uneven match-ups with people way above their skill level. The fact that to my knowledge blizzard hasn't made any official statements about the game ever since the game was launched a few months ago and the fact that they have recently decided to stop revealing WOW subscription statistics may not bode well for the new MOBA. So to say without fear that Overwatch will be a new esport worth note is a bit presumptuous of you especially only a week into a CLOSED beta.

Also when has a kill cam been new AT ALL to video games. did the last half decade of COD games float on by without you noticing (technically they are an esport so nothing new there).

Also how you manage to point out that Overwatch doesn't have a k/d system in place but seem to have forgotten that tf2 also has a similar system to encourage team work. How you manage to make all of these comparisons between the two games but as soon as it goes contrary to your main point you conveniently manage to forget it. All you needed to do is look at the scoreboard!

Hurr durr, hats.

But really though, even something as basic as an artstyle is better in TF2. The whole, now popular, thing of every character being a "hero" seems to mean that its just an excuse to have whatever character it could be even if it doesnt match the rest at all.

The roster seems like what could be expected from a fan art combining multiple characters produced by the same company for different games.

erttheking:

The Wykydtron:

As someone who makes it a point to walk up to the enemy gate and sit there in high five mode staring down the entire enemy team while setup is ticking down, I do. It's fun.

Also Overwatch has no hilarious moment of when a team wins and gets to run into the other team's base with 100% crit. Thinking about it, they appear to be missing another key part of TF2.

"Murrrhuhuhuhuhrrrr!"

Holy shit Blizz if you're going to try to take on TF2 you need these things! Doms are crucial how else are people going to feel good about wiping the floor with some poor unlucky bastard?

You know, i'm reminded of what one of my friends said the other day about TF2 and Overwatch. Blizz makes good games but they don't make *great* games, citing TF2 as a great game to Overwatch's good game. I can see what he means now, it looks like it's missing all the special touches, AKA i've not seen Overwatch footage of Widowmaker pulling off a headshot then shouting:

"EVERYTHING ABOVE YA NECK'S GONNA BE A FINE RED MIST! YA BLOODY FRUIT SHOP OWNERS!

There IS character customization in Overwatch...

They are going the route of character skins like MOBA games, there is already a pre-order skin for the Widow character that you get from Gamestop, and many interviews with Overwatch developers that talked about having character skins and the like for customization.

It's a Blizzard game we are talking about here, easily the best known name in the business, long living, successful, and with great public relations to their customers. Every game on battle.net has customization in it. They know what makes a game good.

Not a hard thing to figure out, look up, and get right.

As long as they put in a Nove and a Kerrigan skin for Widowmaker all will be well.

While we're at it, Arthas/Reinhardt, Jim Raynor/Reinhardt, Zeratul/Reaper too.

Ahem...there's also the fact that at the moment it looks like Overwatch is going to come with a $60 price tag while TF2 is free. :P

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/05/overwatch-ps4-xbox-one-pre-orders-available-at-gamestop?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20%28front%20page%29&utm_content=3&utm_campaign=Blogroll&abthid=563b8c6a81d13e2b2900000b

Game Informer is running a similar article...and considering that Game Informer is owned by GameStop, I'd imagine this is all but officially confirmed. :P

Cartographer:
Was this article sponsored by Activision or something?
Two pages of purely subjective crap, opinion presented as truth and open Overwatch fellating.

We get it, you want in on the next Blizzard beta.

Check out the author of the article, he's notorious for making Press Release pieces seem like legit articles.

iamzim101:
-snip-

This is actually a very good rundown of all this articles problems, I thought something was off and I couldn't pinpoint it. But that's where I was wrong, the entire fucking article was the problem.

And let's not forget the possibility of skins, that's what really convinced the game quality isn't going live up to the hype, other than the character lineup for reasons already said here.

josemlopes:
Hurr durr, hats.

But really though, even something as basic as an artstyle is better in TF2. The whole, now popular, thing of every character being a "hero" seems to mean that its just an excuse to have whatever character it could be even if it doesnt match the rest at all.

The roster seems like what could be expected from a fan art combining multiple characters produced by the same company for different games.

Its Blizzard, you know Blizzard, we all know Blizzard they listen to feedback about as well as... well somebody without a customer service department. I honestly can't think of any other company that is as bad at this just look at Diablo 3, it STILL has an always online requirement, and how long did it take them to take out the RMAH?

Now for a second imagine that they screw up the balance in Overwatch somehow, say they make some mistake in balancing a demoman-like class in overwatch. Do you think there is a chance in hell they'll fix that before the competitive angle dries up entirely? Most of the time their fixes arrive a year too late and a tidal wave of criticism too soon.

Also no dedicated servers in Overwatch, none whatsoever.

Call me when Overwatch

1. Is free with cosmetics.

2. Has more than just simple team vs team, along with different and interesting modes.

3. Has plenty of custom map support.

All points this article overlooks, in favor of the tired "hats" jab.

sonicneedslovetoo:
Also no dedicated servers in Overwatch, none whatsoever.

Also what

Cartographer:
Was this article sponsored by Activision or something?
Two pages of purely subjective crap, opinion presented as truth and open Overwatch fellating.

We get it, you want in on the next Blizzard beta.

Exactly.

Playing Team Fortress 2 on larger servers (10v10 or higher) can only be described as a chaotic experience.

And that is what I love!
I'm sure some people will prefer a game with less players. But others enjoy games with many players (Planetside2!)
It doesn't make it better or worse, it just has a different target audience.

But in giving these really flimsy reasons why Overwatch is the 'best', it really does sound like escapist is fishing for some beta keys or free mugs and posters.

Luminous_Umbra:
snip

Overwatch will be run entirely on Blizzard's servers. Lemme link you to an escapist article about it(I'm pretty sure links to that site are good here).

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142623-Overwatch-Wont-Have-Private-Dedicated-Servers

Is this an ad? This feels like an ad. Weird that I'm not the only one seeing this.

Otherwise. sixty dollar game which I have no interest in versus longstanding game that's free these days. seems like tf2 wins in my books.

You know, sometimes just pointing a gun and shooting is exactly what I want and need.

sonicneedslovetoo:

Luminous_Umbra:
snip

Overwatch will be run entirely on Blizzard's servers. Lemme link you to an escapist article about it(I'm pretty sure links to that site are good here).

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142623-Overwatch-Wont-Have-Private-Dedicated-Servers

Ah, right. That.

I remember being completely dumbfounded.

Aaaaaand I still am.

Man I hate clickbait titles like this,not only that but followed by some pretty questionable reasoning, a more accurate title would have been "I LIKE BLIZZARD BETTER THAN VALVE!!!!1!" Hopefully I won't get a warning for daring to question the content of the article (How dare I).

This article reads like it's written by someone who's played TF2 for a few hours years ago when WoW servers were down for maintenance and most of their knowledge comes from reading TF2 Wiki. Jesus Christ, at least play the game properly if you're going to draw comparisons.

Not even going to touch this one. People before me have voiced my opinion better than I could. However, I feel I should personally disagree with your point on the classes. TF2 is fun because each character has their own personality and slowly-revealed backstory. Having played Overwatch, I really can't say I felt a connection to the characters the way it was with Team Fortress.

Blizzard is going to throw so much money at it until a competitive scene can't possibly not form!! Eh, I'm really unimpressed. This game lacks a lot of the charm TF2 has. I just really don't like the direction Blizzard has gone in the last few years.

So in short, Overwatch is smaller, less flexible and largely more predictable, and all this is somehow a good thing.

I, for one, am super excited. Overwatch looks like TF2 with a lot more variety and interesting mechanics and none of the laundry list of bullshit that made me forever quit TF2.

Lack of hats is probably the number 1 reason I'm interested in Overwatch.

I just can't get into Overwatch. I've watched Gameplay of it, and it looks too unappealing to me. It looks slow, it looks like it takes itself too seriously, and all those "Special Snowflakes" look unique by themselves, but together they all look very similar (At least to me. People have already yelled at me over this point).

As much as people claim TF2 is a broken, jokey mess, I'll be sticking with it as its fun to me. Anyone who wants to, and will, enjoy Overwatch, go and have fun with it once it comes out. I just don't like it personally.

Custom DLC skins for characters were confirmed days ago. That's literally the pre-order bonus.

Is this a joke? This is a joke, right? This HAS to be a joke. The article reads like an advert disguised as an op-ed, as written by someone whose knowledge of Team Fortress 2 stems from skimming the Wiki page on it. Hell, most of the criticisms against Team Fortress 2 don't even make sense, or are just patently false. In one paragraph the author criticizes Team Fortress 2 for having a lot of variety, and then praises Overwatch for having a lot of variety.

Love that wrap-up zinger about hats, though. Truly classy.

Adam Jensen:
This article reads like it's written by someone who's played TF2 for a few hours years ago when WoW servers were down for maintenance and most of their knowledge comes from reading TF2 Wiki. Jesus Christ, at least play the game properly if you're going to draw comparisons.

You don't need to play the oppositions product to pretend like yours is better. Don't be ridiculous, man. That's not how the internet works! Get with it!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here