8 Mods that Bring Fallout 3 Closer to Fallout 4

8 Mods that Bring Fallout 3 Closer to Fallout 4

Looking for something to keep you occupied this weekend until Fallout 4 hits Tuesday? Try out these eight Fallout 3 mods that simulate the new game!

Read Full Article

Its like an article I myself would write to undermine the entire point of an $80 game on a $400 system(minimum) that doesn't take advantage of any of the new technology and is basically just an up-rez Fallout 3.
Because you can get Fallout 3 for like $10 and NexusMod for what, $15 a month?

Or you can spend upwards of $500+ on Fallout 3.5: Rounding up costs an extra $50.

Well done ffronw. I'm pleased.

That colour change mod is lovely. If there's one thing that made Fallout 3 a slog (other than the absolutely lousy story) it's the green and grey blur. There's no distinction to anything, and it makes the game look very depressing and monotonous, like the war happened yesterday and not 200 years ago.

Silentpony:
$15 a month?

Nexus is free and i know people, whose internet is slower than their bandwidth limit.

K.ur:

Silentpony:
$15 a month?

Nexus is free and i know people, whose internet is slower than their bandwidth limit.

Wait, NexusMod has a subscription. I renewed mine only a few months ago. And without it I can't download any of their mods.

Considering the only real reason to play Fallout 4 is to experience the weapon modding and settlement building (some of the few good additions in FO4), these mods pretty much render the purchase obsolete.

Silentpony:
NexusMod has a subscription.

No. Nexus has a premium service. Meaning you can subscribe into a better service, not that you need to subscribe to use it. You need only to register on it. The limits are the bandwidth useage like download speed and number of simultane downloads.

There are enough people not knowing how nexus is, don't make a wrong image.

ShakerSilver:
Considering the only real reason to play Fallout 4 is to experience the weapon modding and settlement building (some of the few good additions in FO4), these mods pretty much render the purchase obsolete.

See but people will say you're too negative and you 'just don't like video games' when you say that.
I don't get it. It doesn't look like Fallout 4 is adding anything that can't already be found in totally free mods.

I use the Tale of Two Wastelands mod, which means I can't use any of these. Harsh.

Silentpony:

ShakerSilver:

See but people will say you're too negative and you 'just don't like video games' when you say that.
I don't get it. It doesn't look like Fallout 4 is adding anything that can't already be found in totally free mods.

Except for a totally new story, new enviroment, new characters with full voice acting, new side quests and jokes, etc...

I mean, I'm sure you can find someone who has built a new section of the Wasteland as a mod (I remember someone doing something like that with The Elder Scrolls) but there's a difference between what a modder can do in their spare time and what an entire studio of professional devs can do working for years.

People won't say that you don't like video games, they'll say that you have no sense of perspective.

Personally if someone could port the best mod for all of Fallout, The Storyteller, from New Vegas to Fallout 3 I'd download the hell out of it. Hell, if he was an official character or companion in Fallout 4 I'd buy the game for that reason alone.

I find it kind of funny that more than a few of these mods are made redundant by New Vegas which has the weapon customization, better colour palete, better companions, and generally better everything than F3. I mean, if you could buy NV and download Two Wastelands why on earth would you choose the inferior game of the series?

Zontar:
Personally if someone could port the best mod for all of Fallout, The Storyteller, from New Vegas to Fallout 3 I'd download the hell out of it. Hell, if he was an official character or companion in Fallout 4 I'd buy the game for that reason alone.

He's not going to be, but they were talking about him being a mod on PC, PS3 and Xbox on today's episode.

I should really get Tale of Two Wastelands up and running, but touching my New Vegas load order will probably break it.

I should probably try and start Wasteland 2 over again now that the Director's Cut is out, that'll provide me with a good post-apocalyptic experience.

I'm kinda curious though as to why nobody seems to mention Fallout: New Vegas now that Fallout 4 is on the way. I've heard the phrase 'We've been waiting 7 years for a new Fallout game' lately a few too many times.

vallorn:

He's not going to be, but they were talking about him being a mod on PC, PS3 and Xbox on today's episode.

I'm aware of that, but having him be an official character, maybe even a few quests based around him, would be amazing.

Thunderous Cacophony:

Silentpony:

ShakerSilver:

Except for a totally new story, new enviroment, new characters with full voice acting, new side quests and jokes, etc...

I mean, I'm sure you can find someone who has built a new section of the Wasteland as a mod (I remember someone doing something like that with The Elder Scrolls) but there's a difference between what a modder can do in their spare time and what an entire studio of professional devs can do working for years.

People won't say that you don't like video games, they'll say that you have no sense of perspective.

The new story is from Bethesda, so 95% chance it will be pathetic dog shit. Complete and utter trash.

The environments, side quests and jokes can be done via mods with some ease. The voice acting ALSO can and has been done. But most modders just wont invest a lot of money into it.

There is not much of a difference between what modders and professional developers can do. I point you to Research and Development (HL2), Minerva Metastasis (HL2), Долина Шорохов... so yeah :P

Do you have a mod that removes most the rpg elements?

Thunderous Cacophony:

Silentpony:

ShakerSilver:

Try Project Brazil sometime, A team are building a whole new West Coast Fallout game inside of New Vegas.

FogHornG36:
Do you have a mod that removes most the rpg elements?

Again, when it comes down to it, you probably could mostly build Fallout 4 in Fallout 3 or vice versa, in fact, I eagerly await someone putting a good game like New Vegas inside of Fallout 4's engine after people fix what Bethesda have broken and give us proper dialogue options and menus back.

Thunderous Cacophony:
That colour change mod is lovely. If there's one thing that made Fallout 3 a slog (other than the absolutely lousy story) it's the green and grey blur. There's no distinction to anything, and it makes the game look very depressing and monotonous, like the war happened yesterday and not 200 years ago.

Fallout 3 was a slog for many other reasons as well, but I agree the colour green filter remover is one of the best mods. The filter is just like any other, it's not "oppressive" or "bleak", it just looks like shit (par for the course for gamebryo, but you don't get a Bethesda game for graphics, or gameplay, or story, or aesthetics, or code that couldn't be fixed by an amateur programmer because Bethesda are such morons that certain mods, namely graphics upgrades and bugfixes, cause the game to crash because it can't handle fullscreen).

Thunderous Cacophony:
I'm sure you can find someone who has built a new section of the Wasteland as a mod (I remember someone doing something like that with The Elder Scrolls) but there's a difference between what a modder can do in their spare time and what an entire studio of professional devs can do working for years.

'Cept Bethesda aren't a professional dev team (I'm an amateur programmer and I can tell there is just so much wrong that a professional studio wouldn't fuck up, see my complaint about fullscreen, and no, it wasn't 4k HD textures).

vallorn:
Again, when it comes down to it, you probably could mostly build Fallout 4 in Fallout 3 or vice versa, in fact, I eagerly await someone putting a good game like New Vegas inside of Fallout 4's engine after people fix what Bethesda have broken and give us proper dialogue options and menus back.

Depends if modders are willing to make a better story in place of Bethesda's "go sav yur babu". Hell even something on par with Skyrim would be good. All you have to do is...

Not have an arbitrary three hour tutorial (Bethesda's opening sections are so fucking long).
Make the player character the actual protagonist of the story (as opposed to dear old deadbeat idiot dad).
Make decent fucking AI (at the very least the companions need to not actively hinder me).
Make a decent, usable UI.
Either fix the fucking game engine or get a new, functioning one that isn't an upgrade of Morrowind's engine.

I've said it before, but Bethesda needs to stop with the fucking gimmicks, hire some competent people and listen to them, and fix the problems that have consistantly made their games nigh-unplayable (frequently outright unplayable) before adding shit like base building and voice acting, which the modders, quite frankly, can do far better.

vallorn:
I find it kind of funny that more than a few of these mods are made redundant by New Vegas which has the weapon customization, better colour palete, better companions, and generally better everything than F3. I mean, if you could buy NV and download Two Wastelands why on earth would you choose the inferior game of the series?

It's also kind of funny that New Vegas had weapon mods because the devs working on F:NV liked the Weapon Mods Kits Mod for Fallout 3 and decided to implement it in the new game.

Here's a link to an interview with Obsidian's Josh Sawyer on how they look at mods and find how they're useful.

In fact quite a few features in Skyrim and F:NV can be traced back to mods that were popular for Oblivion and Fallout 3.

So whilst the article is trying to find mods that make F3 closer to F4, really they should be finding F4 features that are similar to mods for F:3 or F:NV.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here