The Peanuts Movie - It's a Swing and a Miss, Charlie Brown

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Peanuts Movie - It's a Swing and a Miss, Charlie Brown

The Peanuts Movie is the first feature-length Charlie Brown property since 1980. Maybe it should have stayed away from the cinema.

Read Full Article

Good. I hate the Peanuts and this fills my bitter black heart with a sliver of joy :)

Is this a mainly American nostalgic memory, snoopy? I only ever see a picture of it when the planets align during a blood moon. My Nan maybe mentioned it once like an almost forgotten fable. But a game of it has pooped itself onto console marketplaces recently (by Activision of course...erm, uk), it did seem suspicious and now the final puzzle of poo has fallen into place, (snoopy is an anagram of poosNY by the way, justsaying!) though the game is somewhat a riskier venture, price-wise, than the film. Consider yourself lucky, Marter...not quite a Martyr yet, teehee! (i'll shut up now)

Wait...they made a Peanuts movie recently? *sigh*...well it's official: there truly is nothing sacred anymore.

Or as Charlie Brown would say: "UUUUUUGH!"

RJ 17:
Wait...they made a Peanuts movie recently? *sigh*...well it's official: there truly is nothing sacred anymore.

Isn't Charlie Brown the one that always complains about soulless capitalism? The circle is complete.

They should get the Lego movie guys on this. Of course, I think they should get the Lego movie guys to do everything.

Really?!
Nobody is going to speak up? I'm the one who's gonna have to say it?

Sigh...alright.

GOOD GRIEF!!

Thought as much. Still, I might rent the tie-in videogame for an easy platinum trophy.

Fox12:

RJ 17:

Isn't Charlie Brown the one that always complains about soulless capitalism? The circle is complete.

They should get the Lego movie guys on this. Of course, I think they should get the Lego movie guys to do everything.

I thought it was Linus (Lucy's perpetualy-whipped brother) who rails against capitalism, in his robotic-monotone voice. When he's not sucking his thumb and hugging his blanket.

OT: Snoopy is the best Peanuts character, period. Just give him his own movie already!

huh, rotten tomatoes has it as 86%/86%

After spectre getting 2.5 stars (which I and the reviewer on escapists) apparently thought were terrible), this seems a bit off^^

Guess Ill go watch it and come back to say Im sorry, in case it reeeaaally sucks :>

Welp, this one aside, the Peanuts movie has actually been getting good reviews, overall (currently at 86% on Rotten Tomatoes and Korey from Spill actually liked it as well). From what I heard, there's not one pop culture reference or toilet humor in the film. It stays pretty true to the source material and has good animation. Overall, I'd say most find it to be a good movie. I mean, some people are acting like this movie took the Alvin and the Chipmunks or Smurfs approach to movie adaptation lol.

There was zero chance this complete whoredom of Peanuts (now that Sparky is safely dead) would be any good.

Yeah, it'll be completely bland and inoffensive and marketable and saccharine sweet, so people with kids will go see it for the same reasons they went to see terrible movies like Garfield and The Smurfs. 'Well this isn't awful, there's no cursing, and it keeps the little monsters quiet for 90 minutes.'

Darth_Payn:

Fox12:

RJ 17:

I thought it was Linus (Lucy's perpetualy-whipped brother) who rails against capitalism, in his robotic-monotone voice. When he's not sucking his thumb and hugging his blanket.

OT: Snoopy is the best Peanuts character, period. Just give him his own movie already!

That may be right. Maybe it was only in the Christmas episode that Charlie Brown complained about capitalism.

Random thought, but am I the only one that used to think peppermint patty was a boy? And then I figured out she was a girl, and I thought her and that other girl were gay. I didn't even know what sex or homosexuality was, but my little kid mind just assumed they were dating.

Was anybody expecting this to be good? Anybody?

I assumed it was going to be crap the moment I heard about it but seeing them advertise the movie with some crappy pop music rather than the its iconic jazz score I knew it was going to be an extra special sort of garbage that the studio didn't have any faith in. Seeing Marter say that there were "the best of intentions" with the film is surprising though.

Fox12:

Darth_Payn:

Fox12:

That may be right. Maybe it was only in the Christmas episode that Charlie Brown complained about capitalism.

Random thought, but am I the only one that used to think peppermint patty was a boy? And then I figured out she was a girl, and I thought her and that other girl were gay. I didn't even know what sex or homosexuality was, but my little kid mind just assumed they were dating.

Family Guy did a joke on that.

Yeah, because the original peanuts always was known for it's deep three dimensional characters. Truth be told, I think this is one of the most faithful adaptations in quite awhile.Though, that may not be in it's favor seeing as how the peanuts have always been a paint by numbers and dull series.

Meh, I still hold out hope for it. It's getting good reviews everywhere else. All the reasons you listed here for the movie not working are pretty core to the way Peanuts functions. One of the reasons I love Peanuts is because it's so status quo and comfortable. The characters are dependably themselves, all strong and unique personalities (if a little two-dimensional at times). I enjoy the repeated gags and the dry wit and the quiet sarcastic jokes. It's simple and mild. There's no passing of time or massive life changing events. No big goofy slapstick sequences or overt fantasies. I don't need or want a movie adaptation to abandon that atmosphere and tone and everything the strip built. I have no idea how one would structure that sort of narrative style into movie form, and that may be the main issue with the film, but I'm one of those wierdos who wouldn't mind if this was just a 90 minute series of Peanuts style vignettes.

And the red headed girl has ALWAYS been a nameless 'maguffin', that's kind of the point. Charlie Brown can never work up the courage to talk to her so he knows absolutely nothing about her.

The second trailer with its shitty pop music was a bad sign for me, so I may yet be disappointed. I'll just have to wait two more fucking months for the Australian release.

Digi7:
Meh, I still hold out hope for it. It's getting good reviews everywhere else. All the reasons you listed here for the movie not working are pretty core to the way Peanuts functions. One of the reasons I love Peanuts is because it's so status quo and comfortable. The characters are dependably themselves, all strong and unique personalities (if a little two-dimensional at times). I enjoy the repeated gags and the dry wit and the quiet sarcastic jokes. It's simple and mild. There's no passing of time or massive life changing events. No big goofy slapstick sequences or overt fantasies. I don't need or want a movie adaptation to abandon that atmosphere and tone and everything the strip built. I have no idea how one would structure that sort of narrative style into movie form, and that may be the main issue with the film, but I'm one of those wierdos who wouldn't mind if this was just a 90 minute series of Peanuts style vignettes.

And the red headed girl has ALWAYS been a nameless 'maguffin', that's kind of the point. Charlie Brown can never work up the courage to talk to her so he knows absolutely nothing about her.

The second trailer with its shitty pop music was a bad sign for me, so I may yet be disappointed. I'll just have to wait two more fucking months for the Australian release.

No, you won't be disappointed. I've been lurking on this thread pretty much all day because the review baffled me, but the comments here baffled me even more so. I saw this movie yesterday. It is EXACTLY what you are hoping for. That pop music from the trailer? It does feel a bit out of place, but it doesn't come anywhere near to ruining the movie when it arrives. The rest of the music is classic Peanuts through and through.
Honestly, when this movie was first announced, I was dreading it because I was afraid they were going to reboot the franchise, or try to drag it into the modern era, or change it to make the characters more "current" or "edgy" or "interesting (read: Dark and moody)". But they didn't. This really does feel like a Peanuts movie. Everything that you say you want is in the movie, and personally my friends and I loved it.

The only complaint I have is a time skip that happens toward the end. About ninety percent of the movie takes place during winter, but then in the last ten minutes, it jumps ahead to summer and the start of summer vacation. That feels a bit jarring, but that's it.

Why are people claiming that this evidence that the peanuts sold out? The peanuts sold out almost immediately. The numerous made for t.v. movies with different casts, the t.v. shows, the stageplay, alongside two weekly comments meant that Charles M. Shultz had it made, and didn't care too much about integrity. Also, it has some of the flattest characters designed to play around occasionally subverting it. Like the childish looking one making the smartest comments. Peanuts was made around selling out.

Sniper Team 4:

Digi7:

No, you won't be disappointed. I've been lurking on this thread pretty much all day because the review baffled me, but the comments here baffled me even more so. I saw this movie yesterday. It is EXACTLY what you are hoping for. That pop music from the trailer? It does feel a bit out of place, but it doesn't come anywhere near to ruining the movie when it arrives. The rest of the music is classic Peanuts through and through.
Honestly, when this movie was first announced, I was dreading it because I was afraid they were going to reboot the franchise, or try to drag it into the modern era, or change it to make the characters more "current" or "edgy" or "interesting (read: Dark and moody)". But they didn't. This really does feel like a Peanuts movie. Everything that you say you want is in the movie, and personally my friends and I loved it.

The only complaint I have is a time skip that happens toward the end. About ninety percent of the movie takes place during winter, but then in the last ten minutes, it jumps ahead to summer and the start of summer vacation. That feels a bit jarring, but that's it.

Thanks very much for this reply, it allays a lot of my worries. I'm actually pretty excited now! I never grew up with Peanuts and have only really started reading the compilations and watching the cartoons a couple of years ago, but I absolutely adore it.

RJ 17:

You're saying that like there haven't already been multiple Peanuts movies. I don't see how making another one is suddenly sacrilege.

Fox12:

The millions of coffee mugs, lunch boxes, pajamas, and bed spreads that were made with Snoopy on it before this movie was even in the works clearly shows that this was already a giant enterprise.

Maybe we should all cool our jets and not suddenly act like it's this movie that squeezed the soul out of this franchise.

MarsAtlas:

Considering they actually took the effort to make the original art style work in a computer generated environment, choppy frame rate and everything... Yeah, that gave me hope they'd actually make a fine movie.

From what I've heard the only real criticism against this new film is that it's the same old stuff, but that's is what Peanuts has always been. Now obviously it's prefered to strive for something new and fresh, even in old franchises like this, but acting like this is the latest atrocity from Hollywood... Eh, seems a bit of a stretch.

Not that I've seen the movie, but people in this thread are tearing it a new one for having done... what exactly? Being just another Peanuts movie, this time in CG?

I'm surprised at the dog-piling here, I went to see a preview of this movie last night and agree with pretty much every other reviewer out there. It's a very good, charming and well thought out price. The Snoopy bits whilst fun, felt like the tacked on parts and the main film came about around Charlie Brown and his crush. Filled with nostalgia and some very good writing on the creators parts I can genuinely recommend this film to anyone who remembers Peanuts or is taking their kids along.

If this is a "swing and a miss, Charlie Brown" then these Escapist reviews are on strike two after the god awful Spectre one.

Silentpony:
Really?!

Sigh...alright.

GOOD GRIEF!!

Surely you mean AAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH!

Better luck next time Chuck.

You know, loathe as I am to admit it, at least there was one thing I could dependably rely on when it came to movie reviews around here. They were entertaining, and I always came away knowing roughly how I would feel about the movie for myself. I miss that. These new reviews just leave me baffled.

Literally the ONLY negative point that can be made about this movie is that it's an extremely faithful adaptation of The Peanuts? And somehow that warrants giving it a star-and-a-half?

You'll have to pardon me while I roll my eyes and hack up a lung coughing, I'm writing this post while sick and in possession of a sassy attitude. Now that that's out of the way, though, let's revisit. Marter here wants a Peanuts movie that DOESN'T stick to the old jokes and vignettes, abandons the intentionally one-dimensional flat character personas in favor of forced development, and apparently cites Snoopy... the character that literally only stuck around because he stole the whole show... as a problem because he steals the show?

Couldn't we have just summed this whole review up as "I'm clearly not the target audience for this movie" and passed off the duty of reviewing it for a score to someone who actually understands the point and history of the Peanuts franchise and why it's still relatively popular today.

Casual Shinji:

RJ 17:

You're saying that like there haven't already been multiple Peanuts movies. I don't see how making another one is suddenly sacrilege.

Yeah...and those movies were made in the 70's...

See, i was really worried about this movie because I love Peanuts, but I feel like I'm on a completely different page with the reviewer so I don't know how to take it. It's not that I like the movie, haven't seen it, it's just I feel like I have different priorities. T me, the Snoopy sections are indicative of the kind of broad, kid-friendly humour that most child aimed movies are these days, which is not what I care about. I'm more interested in seeing Charlie Brown try and fail and try again, like the great optimistic everyman he is.

Mind you, I am let down that a lot of the stuff with other characters are just repeats of old classics. The little red haired girl being essentially a macguffin is another unfortunate product of the strip's time that doesn't translate to a modern movie. When you look at him from a modern perspective, Charlie Brown is kind of a "nice guy", though I'd say he's a more positive example of that type of person than a lot of the neck beards we think of when we say that. For a start, he's too openly self-loathing, whereas your typical nice guy projects his own issues onto others, usually the woman he's after.

Casual Shinji:

Fox12:

The millions of coffee mugs, lunch boxes, pajamas, and bed spreads that were made with Snoopy on it before this movie was even in the works clearly shows that this was already a giant enterprise.

Maybe we should all cool our jets and not suddenly act like it's this movie that squeezed the soul out of this franchise.

My point was that there's a certain irony there. That's why I mentioned having the Lego movie team working on a sequel. They're self aware enough to work that into the film, as we've seen with Lego and 21 Jump Street.

My sister saw it yesterday and loved it, so I intend to watch it and decide for myself sometime before Christmas. What struck me about the CG is that it actually reminds me a little bit of claymation, which is interesting. I certainly like it more then what Disney and Dreamworks are doing these days. I've also noticed this the only site that seemed to give it such a low score, which is encouraging.

RJ 17:

Casual Shinji:

Yes, they were. How does that make them sacred? It's not like Sally is getting voiced by Katy Perry and there's a Taylor Swift cameo in it or anything. It's just more Peanuts.

Fox12:
My point was that there's a certain irony there. That's why I mentioned having the Lego movie team working on a sequel. They're self aware enough to work that into the film, as we've seen with Lego and 21 Jump Street.

That just goes with the territory unfortunately. If something's popular it'll get turned into a giant money factory, even if that something is supposed to be innocent, wholesome comfort, like Winnie the Pooh.

Casual Shinji:

RJ 17:

Casual Shinji:

Yes, they were. How does that make them sacred? It's not like Sally is getting voiced by Katy Perry and there's a Taylor Swift cameo in it or anything. It's just more Peanuts.

There's a reason these movies hadn't been made since the 70's: there was no need for them since then. As this movie has (apparently) proven: there's still no need for them.

Forgive me for being one of those pricks who wants Hollywood to put away the shovel and stop digging up old franchises to try and cash in on nostalgia.

Casual Shinji:
If something's popular it'll get turned into a giant money factory, even if that something is supposed to be innocent, wholesome comfort, like Winnie the Pooh.

And that's yet another nostalgic franchise that's being made into a modern movie...and yet another one that's going to be an atrocious abomination that some half-assed director and studio will crap out for no other reason than "Hey, remember Winnie the Pooh? Bet we could make some money off that son of a bitch!"

I finally did see this movie [a couple of hours ago] and I kinda disagree with this movie being dull... It feels too faithful to the source material, which if you didn't like that then the movie's not going to change that even if the ending does something "slightly" different upon retrospective... In fact, in the theater that I saw this in, most of the "jokes" that the movie had made the adults/parents in the theater laugh because the dialogue felt more mature than the kids in the theater could pick up on even if they weren't using that many complex words or phrases... For me, I was more surprised with how much screentime each of the side characters got alongside some of their off-screen side-comments that did feel like most of the adults/parents would hear them more than the kids...

With that said, I went into this trying not to let my nostalgia fuel how I would feel about this movie and, overall, it felt like a G-rated "adult" film where all the characters are played by elementary-school kids... with Snoopy and Woodstock being the catalyses for the young audience to get into this movie from a physical perspective instead of a verbal perspective... That's not to say that kids won't laugh at the dialogue, per se, but don't expect them to laugh at the mispronunciation of the author of War and Peace, for example... Overall, you either going to like this movie or not in general, regardless if nostalgia from either liking or disliking the source material would sway you to one side or another beforehand... Would I recommend it to someone who doesn't like the source material in general? Even with the ending, I wouldn't unless they wanted to give it a [full] second chance, anyway...

Also, the animation seemed to be mimicking the series in terms of its fluidity, which could make certain moments outside of Snoopy's fantasy, for example, seem like it's missing a "frame" or two... and the music in the film had a mix of both iconic, classic, and modern with none of them really feeling more present than the other, in my opinion...

MarsAtlas:

*Joe Cool raises his hand*

Its Peanuts, you know exactly what you're getting into when you hear it. Charlie Brown will have footballs pulled out from his run up until the end of time. And I will continue to not get the entire franchise until that time.

fix-the-spade:

Silentpony:
Really?!

Sigh...alright.

GOOD GRIEF!!

Surely you mean AAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH!

Better luck next time Chuck.

Actually someone had already said that. So Good Grief was the correct phrase.

"Despite the best of intentions, some good animation, and warmth and sweetness not often seen in today's age, The Peanuts Movie is dull, unfunny, and almost a complete loss when it comes to character and plot."

You could say that about the entirety of Peanuts as a franchise.

Never liked them, never will.

Honestly a movie of them just doing there thing is all I ever expected and wanted from them.

I don't see why they would have to make any more of it than there is that would ruin the entire franchise and shtick that is peanuts anyway (regardless from people liking it or not in general).

Edit : the only nitpick I have about the movie is some of the music choices (and not even all, some of it actually works when we consider the more modern choices).

I think trying to go see a Peanuts movie even when you're not a fan of Peanuts is just a no-no in general, ofcourse you will have a bad time (this being different if you've never had experience with the source material, but I'd recommend taking that in before then trying to enjoy the nostalgia this film is gunning for).

2nd edit:

After fully reading your review Marter I just wish you'd remove your review, you didn't like Peanuts or at least not enough to appreciate a modern homage to them that's all this is and all it can/wants to be.

The fact that you are basically calling the characters flat for being portrayed exactly as they were in the source material baffles me, do you want them to revoke your review permit?

At least to me, your review seems to say "I don't like Peanuts, thus I didn't like this movie as it was too much Peanuts". I understand that it is a major release and as a film critic you sorta have to review it, but you should at least own up to not liking the source material.

I actually wish that more movie adaptations were more like their source material, not Holywood's current view of "I know what would make this better!" rubbish that turns out garbage like Dragon Ball Evolution.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here