Warcraft Movie Changes Lore To What It Should Have Been

Pages PREV 1 2

irishda:
There was foreshadowing that Garrosh would go too far all the way back in Wrath with the dialogue between him and Saurfang. He was trying to redeem himself and be a good leader all through Cataclysm and Mists, doing what he did to strengthen the Horde against the Alliance. He was cartoony to be sure, but then WarCraft has always been pretty cartoony. I was more pissed they glossed over all the good points he made when fighting Thrall in Warlords. ("You left me to pick up your pieces!")

I'm pretty much in full agreement on these points, actually.
Indeed, I feared the WOTLK dialogue was foreshadowing of another grey character turning full villain, and players' fodder. Cataclysm reinforced these fears (well, he still got a few good bits when trying to put Sylvanas under control), and after Theramore there was no doubt left, alas.
I also agree that Thrall fucked up and should never have left him in charge during Cataclysm - Saurfang or Eitrigg if he wanted an Orc to take over, or even Vol'Jin or Cairne would've made far better choices. Sure, Garrosh's crimes are his own, but Thrall should make some soul-searching and condlude he left him to hang there without adequate preparations and should've just leave him in charge of the army, at best, not of the whole Horde faction...

If this resets the clusterfudge that is the official Warcraft storyline, I welcome it. Too many retcons and plot holes have rendered it unintelligible.

Michael Dunkerton:
I myself don't like the whole concept of "Orcs aren't so bad" that WoW has been pushing (and make no mistake, this is nothing new with the movie. WoW has been trying to promote the orcs as being noble and humans as being racist for as long as I remember). It makes no sense in the lore because I don't care how many orphanages Thrall and Cairne have built, anyone who is in an alliance with Sylvanus is a bad guy, nothing else to say.

All that said, if they made a movie with orcs as the antagonists, there would be a TON more backlash that this "retcon" will bring. Horde roleplayers have been insisting that they are heroes since the game came out, and making them villains would basically be invalidating their entire experience of the game.

The point about Sylvanas is that she's an ambiguos character herself if you get into the lore.

It's not like she and her fellows volunteered to become undead, they were turned and they broke free when the Lich King had a lapse of power.

The problem with Sylvanas lies with her first for vengeance, first against the Lich King and second against the Humans, as I understand the lore Sylvanas bears a grudge against the humans for their betrayals and abandonments when she was Elven but she also steps over that grudge every now and then.

And in a way it makes sense that she's raising new corpses because there are simply too many threats to face and too few soldiers to face them and it's not like she can strike a bargain with the humans to ask for their dead nicely.

The problem with the Orcs is that their story has been torn apart and influenced by so many things it's quite difficult to make sense of what their situation is on anything now before the lore is written as a continuation.

By all acounts the Orcs are the "here and now" of the Warcaft world, The Tauren,Dwarves,Trolls,Night Elves are the past , the Blood elves and Draenei are odd ones out and unresolved (heck WoD was so much about the orcs you'd forget there were Draenei and that this is basically their home too). The Worgen and Undead are the future and Gnomes,Goblins and Pandaren just fill in wherever you need quirky or lighthearted characters (Although that hand has been overplayed massively to my opinion, I'm quite tired of Goblin/Gnome gearworks).

Chris Metzen has literally only got two ideas in his entire brain. The "evil person turns out to be misunderstood or goes on a journey of redemption", and the "good person with the right intentions slowly descends into becoming a villain." Not much of a surprise he's desperately trying to stamp the former onto one of his creations where he was thankfully prevented from doing so by lack of resources in 90s era programming.

Politrukk:

Michael Dunkerton:
I myself don't like the whole concept of "Orcs aren't so bad" that WoW has been pushing (and make no mistake, this is nothing new with the movie. WoW has been trying to promote the orcs as being noble and humans as being racist for as long as I remember). It makes no sense in the lore because I don't care how many orphanages Thrall and Cairne have built, anyone who is in an alliance with Sylvanus is a bad guy, nothing else to say.

All that said, if they made a movie with orcs as the antagonists, there would be a TON more backlash that this "retcon" will bring. Horde roleplayers have been insisting that they are heroes since the game came out, and making them villains would basically be invalidating their entire experience of the game.

The point about Sylvanas is that she's an ambiguos character herself if you get into the lore.

It's not like she and her fellows volunteered to become undead, they were turned and they broke free when the Lich King had a lapse of power.

The problem with Sylvanas lies with her first for vengeance, first against the Lich King and second against the Humans, as I understand the lore Sylvanas bears a grudge against the humans for their betrayals and abandonments when she was Elven but she also steps over that grudge every now and then.

And in a way it makes sense that she's raising new corpses because there are simply too many threats to face and too few soldiers to face them and it's not like she can strike a bargain with the humans to ask for their dead nicely.

I still don't think you can go the "they didn't ask for this" route when 75% of questing for Horde in Eastern Kingdoms involves helping the undead commit atrocities like torture and turning others into undead, more often for fun than any sort of strategic value (the questgivers say as much). Sylvanus and occasionally the rest of the Forsaken are portrayed as tortured souls cursed with undeath, yet they gleefully create more undead. If the Horde needs more soldiers, Orcs seem to breed like rabbits. But before the Valkyr thing, there was Putress. He was ousted as a "traitor" only because he turned on Sylvanus--his plague was exactly what a quarter of Undercity has been dedicated to accomplishing since the start of WoW. Varian walked through Undercity and saw the brutalized corpses of fellow humans being used as playthings in the literal city square. And yet Jaina (and many Horde apologists among roleplayers) try to protest that the undead are just misunderstood and the Horde was a peaceful nation under Thrall. Ironically, Garrosh was the only one with the stones to speak up against Sylvanus, and then players forced Blizzard to make him a villain.

Yea. This whole "Our world is dying" Bullshit in the trailer, I have no idea where Metzan got this. It was a huge plot point in WC3 that the Orcs gave themselves up willingly to the Burning Legion, for power, to kill the Draenei, then later to attack Azeroth which was only even a choice in the first place because of Medivh's possession and Gul'dan's connection to Sargeras helping open the portal.

And I won't lie, yes the humans a bit racist in Warcraft, granted they kind of have a right to hate the Orcs seeing as they burned down Stormwind, hung humans from their boats and Zeppelins and used their skulls as cups (WC1 Pre-battle/post battle scenes). The Orcs in WC1 were brutal, evil creatures (Granted because they were hopped up on demon blood), The time between WC2-WC3 the orcs were overcoming this bloodlust put upon them by their ancestors (And themselves in the case of Thrall), but not in WC1.

Headbiter:

Samtemdo8:

Come on man Thrall is a cool character.

Was. Since Cataclysm (which ironically was supposed to be the AddOn for his character to truly develop) he's a sad parody of himself.
[quote]Why is everyone constantly making Thrall out to be the face of the Wacraft franchise?

Gee, I don't know. It might have something to do with Blizzard making him the literal face of the franchise, ever since WarCraft 3: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/WarcraftIII.jpg

Just wanted to point out that the orc on the WC3 Orc cover variant is not Thrall.
Thrall has blue eyes and eyebrows, that orc has red eyes and no eye brows.
It is most likely just a generic orc, the only cover that has a hero is humans with Arthas; the rest of the covers are named undead, elves, orcs.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/media/artwork/warcraft3?page=6

No, Blizzard writers are just shite at writing. Evidence material; everything including and beyond Diablo II.
They can never hold a single story together after the first expansion pack. With the sole exception of Warcraft 2.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.