Overwatch Story Is "A Painting On A Postage Stamp"

Overwatch Story Is "A Painting On A Postage Stamp"

Overwatch has a fairly deep story for its characters, something that can be hard at times to display within the upcoming FPS.

Read Full Article

I think we realized the second it became clear it was multiplayer only. Seriously, have there ever been any multiplayer games with a heavy story focus? The two kind of contradict each other.

Short films and comics...sounds an awful lot like how Team Fortress 2 has handled it.

Let's just hope it doesn't resort to the "LOL RANDOM SCOUT'S MOM BONUS DUCKS" nonsense that's come to characterize TF2's lore. I can't be the only one who misses the days when TF2's "story" consisted of vague, cautionary allusions to a covert war between two mega-corporations out to control the world.

Well okay, that's not entirely true. I do like one major addition, and that's Ms. Pauling. I have a crush on her She's pretty cool.

Sooooo it's basically going to be like League of Legends. Each champion in LoL has a pretty decent backstory and they've actually constructed a pretty interesting world...the only problem is that it has fuck-all to do with the actual game itself. Sounds like that's pretty much how Overwatch will be: all that effort into story building...and no one's going to give a rat's ass about it.

erttheking:
I think we realized the second it became clear it was multiplayer only. Seriously, have there ever been any multiplayer games with a heavy story focus? The two kind of contradict each other.

In game, not so much. Maybe the Zombie mode in Call of Duty, I don't know I haven't played it. Out of game, TF2 has a bunch of story and lore for the characters in comics and short films.

The second Overwatch article already that must be running out of lube at the end of the page.

Don't some of the MOBA games also push story and lore through non-ingame sources?

Solkard:
Don't some of the MOBA games also push story and lore through non-ingame sources?

League of Legends and Dota 2 both do it like that, although both games have handled their lore rather...inconsistently. I've never played Dota, but I do know that Riot likes to go back and retcon older champions in League.

That being said, Riot has tried to push in-game events based around certain champions, like "killing" Gangplank before they released his champion relaunch. Those have only been done fairly recently, however, and with a mixed reception.

Pushing a world and a story is difficult without a single-player campaign, and likely doomed to failure. But, who knows? Maybe Blizzard will find a way to make it work.

Just as soon as they lower the price to something reasonable...*grumble grumble*

-Stop me when it sounds similar to TF2...
-Stop

No but honestly, as people have said, this seems kind of pointless, unless it's basically cosplay bait. I guess there's nothing wrong with that but at some point there's a disconnect between trying to care about the characters and caring about the game, as the game actively undermines any meaning or lasting importance the story may try to push. It simply and very directly DOESN'T MATTER.

I honestly wish the world and characters were in a different game. The game to me seems as generic and uninteresting as they come, and looking at the artistry and personality that some of the worldcrafting in Overwatch has, it just feels like a missed opportunity.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.