Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition Review - Simply Divine

Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition Review - Simply Divine

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition's extensive updates makes for an entirely new experience, even for those who've played the original.

Read Full Article

Now, here's the question.

I never played any of the old Infinity Engine RPG's, and when I tried to play Pillars of Eternity, I gave up on it because of its needless complexity. Is this game more accessible, or am I going to be tossed into the middle of the English Channel again and told to swim or die?

SlumlordThanatos:

I never played any of the old Infinity Engine RPG's, and when I tried to play Pillars of Eternity, I gave up on it because of its needless complexity. Is this game more accessible, or am I going to be tossed into the middle of the English Channel again and told to swim or die?

Started playing this co-op with a friend a few days ago, and we got slaughtered in the first tutorial fight... After adjusting the difficulty though, it's gotten better. I still find the skills and leveling to be somewhat cumbersome. Learning new skills (that come from books, you either find or buy) require you to forget one of your old ones, unless you've put more levels into having more available skills. And then I've only found 2 skills that my character could use, and one of them turned out to be shit, after already forgetting one to make space. Luckily we saved before that. The turn based combat is fun though, and gives you time to think ahead and plan your moves. Also, the different elemental synergies that can occur and how they affect combat is very well done and feels natural. You can obviously put out fire with a water spell or by knocking over a barrel of water, but it also creates steam that again affects the combat. We tried to make for some hefty explosion, by throwing a barrel of oil onto some enemies that were already in a sea of flames. It dealt lots of damage, but also turned into black thick smog that made it difficult to target the enemies that were now shrouded in darkness.

I was literally playing the update just before reading this...

I love it! I had given up on the original in the second area, but can already see that this new version will help with my qualms massively... It has also sorted out some of the characters, and the weird things they did.
One of the potential companions is no longer insufferable to be around, the beings at 'the end of time' no longer stand and stare at each other refusing to interact... (time can be a fickle, cold-hearted bitch in the original) and the wizard you meet in the first town seems a whole lot rounder as a character...

Even though I have played this bit before it really really does feel new!

SlumlordThanatos:

Having never played Pillars of Eternity or the original Original Sin I will say this: Original Sin EE has a pretty steep learning curve. There is next to no hand holding for combat and you just gotta figure things out for yourself. Granted, I'm on Tactician Mode, which is fucking hard because the AI is smarter and more numerous. That said, I think the game thus far has been worth it. Personally, my recommendation is to cheat. And I don't mean "give me all the stat points!" cheating. I mean "Wow, that spell I bought is actually really worthless! Let me give myself some more gold so I can get an actually useful skill. And I completely allocated my stat points wrong, let me reallocate them." This way you can learn the game but not be punished by having to start over. I found this approach to be very rewarding.

Also, protip, if you're getting consistently and painfully squashed, it's probably because your gear sucks. Go buy some new stuff. This game has that similarity with Diablo in that gear is a major part of the power curve. At least in Tactician Mode. I'm also not exactly running an optimal group.* You can probably get further with less in the lower difficulties.

*My group consists of a bow wielding ground/water ranger-mage(the setup guy and future badass when I get maxed sneak), a lone wolf two handed sword fire/air warrior-mage(the closer), and the two handed sword warrior companion(the helper).

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.