Zero Punctuation: Just Cause 3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Just Cause 3

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Just Cause 3.

Watch Video

Gotta agree with Yahtzee on the sucky naval options. Way too many games ignore the water aspect of the sandbox. But yeah, the game is still great.

Been loving JC3 and was looking forward to hearing Yahtzee's take on it.

Shame about the final boss. It seems to be a problem with a lot of AAA games not knowing how to close out. Ideally, a game should close out by doing what had been the meat of the game. In JC3's case, a more appropriate finale would be the dictator showing up with a Star Destroyer and Rico having to take it apart component-by-component.

Looks like Yahtzee found his GOTY, or one of his Top 5 anyway.

I have been telling people this and they do not listen! Le sigh! Maybe i have to get famous-ish first. Hmmm...

I think aside from the idiotic gear unlocking mechanics that tie specific upgrades to specific events rather than just giving us gears to upgrade what we want, and the fact that you can't throw the triggered explosives any more, Just Cause 3 is so far been a pretty great followup.

The PC controls gave me so many problems on the changes made though. Not used to M2 being the hookshot and kept going for E. So many unneeded deaths.

Is that how Brits pronounce "squirrel", then? Like it rhymes with "Professor Quirrel"? Cute.

JC3 has been such a huge disappointment for me. On one hand, I liked how they improved the AI of the enemy from JC2 and added the indicator for when they would call reinforcements, or when they have lost sight of you. On the other, I absolutely despise the fact that you no longer search for upgrade parts around the world and instead must do challenges with those long as fuck load times in between retrying.

Steve the Pocket:
Is that how Brits pronounce "squirrel", then? Like it rhymes with "Professor Quirrel"? Cute.

You mean, the way it's spelled and with both its syllables?

OH MUH GAWD, I am so happy he talking about that bullshit "share my stats with friends" thing. I hate this feature and didnt even know it was on until one of my friends popped up on my IM and said "DUDE, im totally crushing you in headshots lol" If I want an experience that broie I would be playing CoD. Hate that feature. Let me play my single player games in peace.

Devin Barker:
OH MUH GAWD, I am so happy he talking about that bullshit "share my stats with friends" thing. I hate this feature and didnt even know it was on until one of my friends popped up on my IM and said "DUDE, im totally crushing you in headshots lol" If I want an experience that broie I would be playing CoD. Hate that feature. Let me play my single player games in peace.

But how else could you put always-online-totallynotDRM in the game?

But, Yahtzee... All those complaints are Just Flaws that don't get in the way of the Just Applause you would already be giving this game like how you would have given to Just Santa Claus...

Other than that, those online stats are nothing more than Just Faux Pas when they are irrelevant to your overall gaming enjoyment...

I've seen a big bastard load of bugs in this game. Shame, but with all its flaws it sounds Just Baws.

Johnny Novgorod:

It's probably going to take spot number 2 for the simple glorious fun of it all. His GOTY will probably be Undertale since it makes major innovations in video game story telling by waging active psychological warfare against what ever goal the player seems to be going for.

At this point I would also expect MGS5, and BloodBorne to definitely make it in, along with possibly Elite Dangerous, Talos Principle or Soma to round it all out.

empirialtank:

Johnny Novgorod:

It's probably going to take spot number 2 for the simple glorious fun of it all. His GOTY will probably be Undertale since it makes major innovations in video game story telling by waging active psychological warfare against what ever goal the player seems to be going for.

At this point I would also expect MGS5, and BloodBorne to definitely make it in, along with possibly Elite Dangerous, Talos Principle or Soma to round it all out.

Well, Undertale is going to present a bit of a dilemma, since Yahtzee always reminds us that the only eligible games for his Top 5 are the ones he has reviewed, ZP-style. Not that there's anything stopping him from breaking his own rule this year. Similarly, Elite: Dangerous is technically a 2014 game, but again, nothing's stopping him from declaring it GOTY 2015.

BloodBorne and Soma are definite contenders. Talos Principle, I seem to remember him being mostly bored by it?

Steve the Pocket:

In what sane world would "Xabcd", not rime with "abcd"?

Thank you for the review, good stuff : )

Maybe they will release a holiday pack - Just Claus.

The goal is to deliver gifts to all the houses - anther map zone take over mission while dodging all the bad people who despise the holiday spirit (because reasons!) along with the dictator being the Grinch.

Yes Hookshottable made it back for a second appearance! Now I need to find some way to work it into a conversation during the holidays coming up.

Steve the Pocket:

That's how Americans pronounce it too. Where is it pronounced like anything else?

Dornedas:

Devin Barker:

But how else could you put always-online-totallynotDRM in the game?

If I didn't get trade-in value for that Need for Speed reboot I would have taken sadistic pleasure in snapping the disc in half. I still wanted to, it would have been the best $30 I would have ever wasted.

OT: Seems like besides the boss fight, I've heard everything I already knew. Which is good because I already decided to buy it. Hopefully those patches fix up the frame-rate issues though.

Devin Barker:

That's the main reason why I have no friends on Xbox Live, so I don't have to deal with that nonsense.

Anyways I agree with Yahtzee, the game is pretty fun but kind of runs out of steam at the end.

voltair27:

Steve the Pocket:

That's how Americans pronounce it too. Where is it pronounced like anything else?

No, Americans pronounce it "Squirl"

FINALLY, Yahtzee's reviewed a game I can comfortably predict will be in his Top5 for the year. During the parade of mediocrity these last couple months, I've been worried I'd be stuck at four and forced to convince myself that SOMA really does represent the 5th least-shit game [he has reviewed] this year.

And a rough fucking year it has been: 2015 has been unusually plagued by unnecessary/incremental excretions and forgettable faff. His vivacious vitriol notwithstanding, the normal bell curve of Yahtzee's yearly reviews has turned distinctly pear shaped. It should speak to the copious dreck on offer that finding five "good" games took 350 days.

Top5 predictions
- Witcher 3
- Bloodbourne
- Just Cause 3
- Until Dawn (plot fits the interactive story gameplay; works on every level Everybody's Gone to the Rapture doesn't)
- Invisible Inc. (token indie game; beats out Axiom Verge by being tighter and more original)
Honorable mentions: Axiom Verge, MGS5

Bottom5 predictions
- Godzilla
- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (not a game)
- Alone in the Dark: Illumination (a franchise so lost and corrupted George Lucas should sell it to Disney)
- King's Quest
- Stealth Inc. 2 (boring, patronizing, and literally insulting gameplay covering up what could have been fun stealth)
Dishonorable mentions: Dex (slightly less shit than Stealth Inc. 2), The Order: 1886

voltair27:

Steve the Pocket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejuK8_12Fmg

I'm surprised he didn't make mention of the sticky rockets, which are officially my new favorite thing, if only because you can stick those things on people without them noticing and proceed to launch them into the ocean.

Thanatos2k:

voltair27:

Steve the Pocket:

That is the exact same thing just with faster pronounciation.

yes_more_ads_please:
FINALLY, Yahtzee's reviewed a game I can comfortably predict will be in his Top5 for the year. During the parade of mediocrity these last couple months, I've been worried I'd be stuck at four and forced to convince myself that SOMA really does represent the 5th least-shit game [he has reviewed] this year.

And a rough fucking year it has been: 2015 has been unusually plagued by unnecessary/incremental excretions and forgettable faff. His vivacious vitriol notwithstanding, the normal bell curve of Yahtzee's yearly reviews has turned distinctly pear shaped. It should speak to the copious dreck on offer that finding five "good" games took 350 days.

Top5 predictions
- Witcher 3
- Bloodbourne
- Just Cause 3
- Until Dawn (plot fits the interactive story gameplay; works on every level Everybody's Gone to the Rapture doesn't)
- Invisible Inc. (token indie game; beats out Axiom Verge by being tighter and more original)
Honorable mentions: Axiom Verge, MGS5

Bottom5 predictions
- Godzilla
- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (not a game)
- Alone in the Dark: Illumination (a franchise so lost and corrupted George Lucas should sell it to Disney)
- King's Quest
- Stealth Inc. 2 (boring, patronizing, and literally insulting gameplay covering up what could have been fun stealth)
Dishonorable mentions: Dex (slightly less shit than Stealth Inc. 2), The Order: 1886

Not enough people read his Extra punctuation articles, it seems. Or the text at the end of his videos, the one that said "go play Undertale" (I think it was in the BlOps 3 episode).

OT: Just Cause 3 is a sandbox filled with explosions and doesn't claim to be much more than that. Which is why it does its job perfectly. As far as climaxes go, seems like Bayonetta and Portal are the few AAA games who know how to do endings properly, sadly. Ah well,JC3 is still a fun game.

Thanatos2k:

voltair27:

Steve the Pocket:

I guess I must be the exception.

Nice twist on the "Just Cause!" pun, and I lost it at "sitting in a cowpie burping the alphabet." I would not put it past some developer to make doing that an achievement.

Johnny Novgorod:

empirialtank:

Johnny Novgorod:

Well, Undertale is going to present a bit of a dilemma, since Yahtzee always reminds us that the only eligible games for his Top 5 are the ones he has reviewed, ZP-style. Not that there's anything stopping him from breaking his own rule this year. Similarly, Elite: Dangerous is technically a 2014 game, but again, nothing's stopping him from declaring it GOTY 2015.

BloodBorne and Soma are definite contenders. Talos Principle, I seem to remember him being mostly bored by it?

If nothing else, it should get some special mention for inspiring him to write a song. All together now!
Random documents and audio logs...

Such masterful pun work, and yet no mention of this seasons big jolly elf? Just Claus.
Shame about the Macaws. I wanted a pet with gills or feathers, but my pet shop had Just Paws.
When I ask people if they like this kind of comedy I always hope for a YES, but all I get are Just Naws.

voltair27:

Steve the Pocket:

Apparently in America it is also pronounced skwur-uh l, rather than skwir-uh l. I never even knew that, and it seems rather strange since nothing in the spelling seems suggest the American pronunciation, but then again, spelling and pronunciation in English is completely fucked, so nothing surprises me anymore.

FirstNameLastName:

voltair27:

Steve the Pocket:

Apparently in America it is also pronounced skwur-uh l, rather than skwir-uh l. I never even knew that, and it seems rather strange since nothing in the spelling seems suggest the American pronunciation, but then again, spelling and pronunciation in English is completely fucked, so nothing surprises me anymore.

Huh, that's interesting. I've always pronounced it like the latter.

yes_more_ads_please:

You do realise that, unless it's your job, you do not have to buy and play these games? It is liberating knowledge! ;)

TalonM13:

Snippedy snip!

Welcome to humans! We are all human and do human stuff like other humans. Quite human really. I recommend not putting certain humans on pedestals, or else you will likely be disappointed. That saying of "never meet your idols" comes to mind, for your particular words. :) Also, are you Jim Sterling? Could you sign my...actually, never mind!

Saika Renegade:
I'm surprised he didn't make mention of the sticky rockets, which are officially my new favorite thing, if only because you can stick those things on people without them noticing and proceed to launch them into the ocean.

Why have i not thought of this?? Thankyou!! I experimented with all but the homo-mounds! Some indigenous people are going to be taking some cheap flights tonight!

ZZoMBiE13:
Such masterful pun work, and yet no mention of this seasons big jolly elf? Just Claus.
Shame about the Macaws. I wanted a pet with gills or feathers, but my pet shop had Just Paws.
When I ask people if they like this kind of comedy I always hope for a YES, but all I get are Just Naws.

That would be too easy, playing to expectations be a fool's game, i tell you! Nice rhymes however. ;)

FirstNameLastName:

That is very true. But I never heard an American say "squirrel" before. Is that weird? Should that have happened by now? I can't imagine it sounding like you say without at least 2 litres of mamma's moonshine to soften the tongue. :) Time to scour youtube for US citizens talking about squirrels! Hope it doesn't stain my totally clean search history.

I just wanted to say that Just Cause 3 has succesful DRM. It has thwarted the efforts of crackers for more than 2 weeks now and has already promted many a pirate to purchase it. I have tipped off the escapist and hope they will do a story on Denuvo, of course their anti-DRM stance might mean they are biased and would never write it.

Thew new Hitman, Tomb Raider and Deus Ex games will apparently also be using Denuvo, which means they too may remain uncracked for long periods of time. It'll be interesting to see if this impacts sales. Hard to say though, you'd need to survey pirates and that's tough to do since nobody wants to admit to being a criminal

Xsjadoblayde:
:) Time to scour youtube for US citizens talking about squirrels! Hope it doesn't stain my totally clean search history.

Or you could just watch Pixar's UP. The way the dog says "SQUIRREL!" should see to your unique needs in this matter.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.