Good Bad Flicks: Exploring Silent Night Deadly Night

Exploring Silent Night Deadly Night

Exploring the making of Silent Night Deadly Night.

Watch Video

Nice job covering the controversy.

As for the movie itself, I was quite surprised myself when I watched it. I'd heard of the movie...but I knew more about the sequel than the original, so I was expecting a goofy slasher movie, with the main actor hamming it up.

This movie was anything but goofy, and the lead actor pulled off the role extremely well. I'd say that I could understand how parents could be upset by this but...I can't. One viewing of the movie's trailer is enough to show that it is NOT for kids, so any claims you are trying to pull it for the sake of the children is transparent at best.

American sensitivities always confuse me. I guess it's the difference between Canadians and Americans, but it's odd to think that swearing after 8 on television or a bit of blood and a few words in a movie will automatically get an adult rating. I mean my god, the Marvel movies are all PG13 in the States, but here they're all G, and Kingsmen uncensored was PG13 here because it's all cartoonish violence and a few words, how did that get an R rating?

Zontar:
American sensitivities always confuse me. I guess it's the difference between Canadians and Americans, but it's odd to think that swearing after 8 on television or a bit of blood and a few words in a movie will automatically get an adult rating. I mean my god, the Marvel movies are all PG13 in the States, but here they're all G, and Kingsmen uncensored was PG13 here because it's all cartoonish violence and a few words, how did that get an R rating?

GBF actually did a thing about that, questioning if there's a new rating system that would need to be made since some just don't make sense. "The King's Speech" was given an R-rating because of King George's cluster f-bomb, and nothing else. Said movie didn't do well when it was recut for a PG-13 rating.

Marvel's most outright violent moment in the films so far was probably the scene of the Hydra agent being thrown through the propeller of one of the bomber planes in Captain America. Sure, others had some pretty disturbing scenes (yellow jacket's death I'd rate as the most painful looking) but none of them had a mist of blood afterwards.

Then again I think Jontron said it best when he was discussing the hypocrisy of violence and sexuality in the US. "Yeah, yeah, fuck'em up! Show 'em exploding! That kid'll die, then the mom'll die, the mom's baby will come out and explode the foetus'll explo- don't show a boob! My kid is right here!"

I like this show and all but the ending of this episode gave me some flashbacks of Moviebob and Jim Sterling where they tried to tell the viewer what to think. I even agree in this case but I hope that it doesnt become a show to talk about your personal opinions through movies (something Moviebob ended up doing until it became way too much, becoming the core of each episode).

josemlopes:
I like this show and all but the ending of this episode gave me some flashbacks of Moviebob and Jim Sterling where they tried to tell the viewer what to think. I even agree in this case but I hope that it doesnt become a show to talk about your personal opinions through movies (something Moviebob ended up doing until it became way too much, becoming the core of each episode).

I think there's a big difference in what he said at the end versus Moviebob and Jim Sterling. The former wants you to think and decide for yourself, and if something offends you or you see something you don't like, you just change the channel or not play the game. The latter want to tell you what is and isn't acceptable because they know better than you. And I highly doubt the little soapbox moment is going to be a regular feature, because unlike Bob and Jim, this show hasn't been a thinly-veiled political show for months, if not years like theirs were.

LysanderNemoinis:

josemlopes:

I think there's a big difference in what he said at the end versus Moviebob and Jim Sterling. The former wants you to think and decide for yourself, and if something offends you or you see something you don't like, you just change the channel or not play the game. The latter want to tell you what is and isn't acceptable because they know better than you. And I highly doubt the little soapbox moment is going to be a regular feature, because unlike Bob and Jim, this show hasn't been a thinly-veiled political show for months, if not years like theirs were.

Exactly. I'm not telling anyone what they are allowed to like, dislike, etc. I was just pointing out the nonsense that was dealt with in the past, and the nonsense we are currently going through. If the people who were upset about the movie wanted the ads moved out of prime time so their kids couldn't see it, I would be ok with that. However, that wasn't what they wanted. They wanted the film removed from cinemas completely. Not cool. What gives them the right to tell other adults what they are allowed to watch?

With the stuff going on today, it's a similar situation. You have adults telling other adults what they are allowed to purchase, watch, etc. If you want to protest something you are against, that is your right. However, the folks who want that thing should be allowed to protest back.

I usually don't go into this with the videos but with censorship rearing its ugly head, I felt the need to say something. Besides, it was less than a minute at the end of the video. Not like I spent the entire time preaching, I'm not that full of myself. :) (I even removed a chunk so it wouldn't be too soapboxxy)

CecilT:

LysanderNemoinis:

josemlopes:

Exactly. I'm not telling anyone what they are allowed to like, dislike, etc. I was just pointing out the nonsense that was dealt with in the past, and the nonsense we are currently going through. If the people who were upset about the movie wanted the ads moved out of prime time so their kids couldn't see it, I would be ok with that. However, that wasn't what they wanted. They wanted the film removed from cinemas completely. Not cool. What gives them the right to tell other adults what they are allowed to watch?

With the stuff going on today, it's a similar situation. You have adults telling other adults what they are allowed to purchase, watch, etc. If you want to protest something you are against, that is your right. However, the folks who want that thing should be allowed to protest back.

I usually don't go into this with the videos but with censorship rearing its ugly head, I felt the need to say something. Besides, it was less than a minute at the end of the video. Not like I spent the entire time preaching, I'm not that full of myself. :) (I even removed a chunk so it wouldn't be too soapboxxy)

I liked your show a lot already, but with your further comments and being one of the few people these days to have the common sense and pattern recognition to see that the moral guardians of yesterday are no different from the social justice/politically correct whiners of today, you have earned a lifelong fan. You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

you think america is crazy with removing things? look at germany. a bit of blood and they go all crazy about it. thinking that this will harm kids and turn them in to psychotic killers. i still remember how much controversy the movie hannibal got for its brain eating scene. seriously, they made a huge drama out of it. hell, even the employees in the cinema kept asking people if they are over the requested age.

not surprised about the mothers as well. they always go crazy over things. proofing too well they are not capable of explaining their children that they cant watch this and why. instead of looking at the damn rating label which clearly indicates its not for damn children. this amount of stupidity should be punished and if these idiots protest, remove them asap.

LysanderNemoinis:

I liked your show a lot already, but with your further comments and being one of the few people these days to have the common sense and pattern recognition to see that the moral guardians of yesterday are no different from the social justice/politically correct whiners of today, you have earned a lifelong fan. You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

Thank you! I really appreciate it :)

I can't say my childhood was enhanced by believing in Santa Claus. I can't say my childhood was hurt by realising he was fictitious.

With my condescending hat on, surely children will be more grateful if they realised it was people who bought their gifts.

Santa Claud doesn't matter. It's fun fantasy, but should stay there.

Awesome film title. I wished they called the final Matt Smith Doctor Who episode Silent Night.

Zontar:

Being from Quebec, I'm in the same boat. I've never even seen examples of outrage culture in my neck of the woods. Some Canadians from other provinces are being wary about Syrian immigrants, for instance, and are being as vocally stupid as some US Governors. They're saying that letting them in lets potential terrorists in as well - but closer to Montreal? Nada. Even in my local French Canadian online hangouts, I haven't seen hide nor hair of the Tumblr slacktivism that's poisoning most forms of intellectual debate, these days.

A lot of horror movies that receive R ratings in the US only get 16+ ratings here, and most of the games that have been infamously billed as Adults Only are actually pretty damn tame. I didn't even get the point of the uproar about Hatred, either, seeing as it's basically just another twin-stick shooter. I mean, yeah, it has a basic premise that's ripped right out of a high schooler's binders covered with Black Metal band logos, but it was ultimately pretty harmless.

All I know is that the US' censorship mentality has devolved over the past twenty years. It used to be that R-Rated protagonists smoked, drank, cussed and blew shit up for the sake of their handler's political agenda, or because some Eldritch abomination was hunting them down. Now it's all "Oh dear, our hero's dropped an F-bomb! It's R-Rated!"

Guts, gore, gunfire, massive casualties? No problem. PG13. Someone flashes a tit or says fuck? Restricted.

IamLEAM1983:
Even in my local French Canadian online hangouts, I haven't seen hide nor hair of the Tumblr slacktivism that's poisoning most forms of intellectual debate, these days.

I think it's the language barrier mixed with the fact that English Quebec is more influenced by French Quebec then a lot of people realize. That's not to say there aren't people who are like that here, but for whatever reason there's just a lot less of them.

Zontar:
I think it's the language barrier mixed with the fact that English Quebec is more influenced by French Quebec then a lot of people realize. That's not to say there aren't people who are like that here, but for whatever reason there's just a lot less of them.

Makes sense. A lot of the girls I've worked with who actually have gaming hobbies tend to just not care about Gamergate as a concept, about Anita Sarkeesian or, hell, any other tangentially related controversy you could think of.

They play what they like, how they like it. End of story. The same goes with censorship. We're pretty lax with it, just making sure kiddies aren't exposed to really overt stuff.

IamLEAM1983:

They play what they like, how they like it. End of story. The same goes with censorship. We're pretty lax with it, just making sure kiddies aren't exposed to really overt stuff.

I think this line sums up the Quebec mentality in regards to censorship as a whole.

josemlopes:

Since Cecil is much more informed, I wouldn't mind it in this case. He balances out his own opinion with counter opinion. He's a lot more well informed and stable than Moviebob.

Though I am biased since for years we've had "don't do this, don't do that", hearing someone say "do what you want" is refreshing.
A demand that limits is bad, a "demand" that broadens is fine- since by broadening it becomes parodoxical ("Do what you want- including ignoring this"). I just want to support more people who are fighting against coddling, dumbing down, and turning everything saccharine.

If anything, the segment on the comments of the controversy reminded me a LOT of Moviebob and Jim.
"Tristar doesn't have to be your audience. Tristar is over."

CecilT:

LysanderNemoinis:

josemlopes:

Only saw your post now, but yeah, I agree. I just remembered while watching the episode on how I also agreed on what Moviebob said sometimes when he kept things light and look how things turned out.

I wasnt saying that what you did here was wrong, just that it may not be the right path to follow (just thinking on the long term and how the other shows ended up becoming something different after some time). I guess my message was:

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."

(I copy pasted the quote and for some reason part of it doesnt seem properly written but you get the idea)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here