Five Actors Who Should Play Green Lantern

Five Actors Who Should Play Green Lantern

Who could do a better job playing Green Lantern than Ryan Reynolds?

Read Full Article

Terry Crews would NAIL John Stewart.

An odd thought, but why not Phil LaMarr as John Stewart? He's already proven himself capable of voicing the character in JL/JLU, and I think he could do an excellent job live action as well.

P.S. Thanks

McMarbles:

While I would love terry crews in the comic book universe, do you think he could really nail the john stewart tone? I didn't read much of the comic books, but pretty much every iteration of john stewart in the cartoons/movies always has him as more of a serious/defender type hero, and I'm just a bit too used to terry crews playing funny/cheesy action star to see him nailing that role (could be wrong though.)

OT: actually agreed with alot of the choices, I could see alot of them nailing the role in their own respective way.

Honestly I think there's better actors available for John Stewart. I would purport that John Boyega could fit the role well but he's probably not really available for it due to Star Wars. After Creed I think Michael B. Jordan could potentially pull it off and I'd have more faith in him in the role than Donald Glover, plus he would bring some experience with superhero films to boot.

McMarbles:

Thats not a good fit given that we've never really seen Terry Crews as a serious character. He may not have the acting chops for it and, frankly, I don't think people would give him a role as a serious character because his physique is just so exaggerated that its hard to take seriously. He's not "buff", he's a meat mountain. He's bigger than Arnold and Arnold never really worked as a serious character except for when he played a humanoid tank. John Stewart has, to my knowledge, never been popular as a wisecrack or devil-may-care type. However, I wouldn't rule Crews out of the DCCU despite that though, because he would be fantastic as Cyborg ala Teen Titans' somewhat more reckless attitudes and personality.

Why are these candidates so incredibly old? Even Matt Bomer, who doesn't look that old, is 30 freaking 8. 38! He's got about 10 years on what Hal Jordon should be.

Start over dude.

Gorfias:
Why are these candidates so incredibly old? Even Matt Bomer, who doesn't look that old, is 30 freaking 8. 38! He's got about 10 years on what Hal Jordon should be.

Start over dude.

I always thought Michael Jai White would make an excellent John Stewart; he's a good enough actor (I don't hold Spawn against him) and highly physical in his personal life that I'd believe he's a retired marine.

Sadly what now stand in his way is that he's 48:

Mind, we should all be so lucky to look as good as this at nearly 50.

I can't believe there are so many John Stewart candidates and yet nobody even mentions Idris Elba.

Gordon_4:

I always thought Michael Jai White would make an excellent John Stewart; he's a good enough actor (I don't hold Spawn against him) and highly physical in his personal life that I'd believe he's a retired marine.

Sadly what now stand in his way is that he's 48:

Mind, we should all be so lucky to look as good as this at nearly 50.

He does look like a version of John Stewart. But yeah, 48 rather than 28? What's up with that?

RealRT:
I can't believe there are so many John Stewart candidates and yet nobody even mentions Idris Elba.

He's 40 freakin 3! He has grey hair already! There have got to be some young men that could do this.

Gorfias:

He's 40 freakin 3! He has grey hair already! There have got to be some young men that could do this.

No, there haven't. John Stewart is supposed to be a goddamn ex-marine, not some young punk, so 43 is a fitting age.

RealRT:

Gorfias:

No, there haven't. John Stewart is supposed to be a goddamn ex-marine, not some young punk, so 43 is a fitting age.

And he's an architect. I still think they should find someone in his late 20s to mid 30s. One could do their 4 years 18-22, use Veteran's assistance to go to college and be working by 26.

Never saw Green Lantern, mostly because I detest Ryan Reynolds. Something tells me that if they did make another, they would use Hal Jordan over the clearly superior John Stewart.

Gorfias:

RealRT:

Gorfias:

And he's an architect. I still think they should find someone in his late 20s to mid 30s. One could do their 4 years 18-22, use Veteran's assistance to go to college and be working by 26.

Actually I was trying to track down any kind of summary of John Stewart's personal history prior to joining the Green Lanterns and it's oddly sparse. It doesn't say how long he was in the Marines; just the he was a sniper (which is odd because I swear I'd heard he was a combat engineer) and then he studied architecture but again makes no mention of how long he spent in that career.

Besides I reckon Stewart's one of those Lanterns who looks better with a few miles on the clock.

Gorfias:

RealRT:

Gorfias:

Yeah, but John Stewart is supposed to be, you know, mature and badass. He's the mature Green Lantern, if you need a young and hip Green Lantern, that's what Kyle Rayner is there for.

Gorfias:

Start over dude.

The thing is most comic book fans are mid 30's and older and they want the super heroes to be the father figures they where when they where children so when young actors are cast BOO, HISS, TOO YOUNG!

All the people in this thread asking for John Stewart, ick. As a longtime fan of Green Lantern comics, John Stewart is a piece of shit, and easily the worst green lantern to come from earth. Worse than Guy Gardner, even. He was really cool in the DCAU, but don't let that fool you.

Honestly, I think original actor could have been a good Green Lantern if the writing hadn't been total shit.

McMarbles:

The comic nerd in me is screaming about how horribly wrong this is, but the Terry Crews fan in me would love this so damn much.

I would like to see John Bernthal as Guy Gardner.

P-89 Scorpion:

Gorfias:

Start over dude.

The thing is most comic book fans are mid 30's and older and they want the super heroes to be the father figures they where when they where children so when young actors are cast BOO, HISS, TOO YOUNG!

Sad, because I remember when I was young and watching shows that had what were supposed to be high schoolers and I'm thinking, these schmoes look to be in their 30s! I know my kids are thinking the same thing. I want them to like these characters and be excited about them. That isn't going to happen if they look like someone's grand parents.

That written,...

RealRT:

John Stewart is supposed to be, you know, mature and badass. He's the mature Green Lantern, if you need a young and hip Green Lantern, that's what Kyle Rayner is there for.

Ick. Kyle Rayner. Should be forgotten by time. I will concede, John Stewart in the cartoons appears to be older. But again, to get the kids, a new generation of fans, I think we need someone late 20s, early 30s and have him play Hal Jordan. Without the green animated costume.

Gorfias:
Ick. Kyle Rayner. Should be forgotten by time. I will concede, John Stewart in the cartoons appears to be older. But again, to get the kids, a new generation of fans, I think we need someone late 20s, early 30s and have him play Hal Jordan. Without the green animated costume.

Do we, really? I think a mature character is more than capable to be appealing to kids, if done right. Hell, animated John Stewart is prime example of that.

RealRT:
Do we, really?

No, but thats what the executives who make these decisions typically think. Then again, WB's casting is all over the place. They cast Ben Affleck, a 42-year old man who mostly looks his age, as Batman but then they cast Gal Godot as Wonder Woman, which, well, thats just me thinking that that was a very poor choice of casting most likely based on her popularity in the Fast and the Furious movies.

MarsAtlas:

RealRT:
Do we, really?

No, but thats what the executives who make these decisions typically think. Then again, WB's casting is all over the place. They cast Ben Affleck, a 42-year old man who mostly looks his age, as Batman but then they cast Gal Godot as Wonder Woman, which, well, thats just me thinking that that was a very poor choice of casting most likely based on her popularity in the Fast and the Furious movies.

DC Movie Universe's everything is all over the place. I agree, Gal Gadot was by far not the best choice for the role of Wonder Woman.

MarsAtlas:

RealRT:
Do we, really?

And Ben is sporting some gray hair. He is supposed to be playing a Batman that is older. Batman already has his fans thought. Should be fine but...

RealRT:
Gal Gadot was by far not the best choice for the role of Wonder Woman.

She looks like an 8 year old boy in drag. WTF? This is supposed to be the ultimate Amazon. Wonder Woman! Where is the big bust and wide hips?!?!?! Man. I'm old. I miss Linda Carter for this role.

Gorfias:

MarsAtlas:

RealRT:
Do we, really?

And Ben is sporting some gray hair. He is supposed to be playing a Batman that is older. Batman already has his fans thought. Should be fine but...

RealRT:

She looks like an 8 year old boy in drag. WTF? This is supposed to be the ultimate Amazon. Wonder Woman! Where is the big bust and wide hips?!?!?! Man. I'm old. I miss Linda Carter for this role.

I share the Linda Carter attraction, but you seem to be confusing 'race of warrior women who spend their lives training for war' with 'bikini models'.

Gorfias:

P-89 Scorpion:

Gorfias:

Start over dude.

Sad, because I remember when I was young and watching shows that had what were supposed to be high schoolers and I'm thinking, these schmoes look to be in their 30s! I know my kids are thinking the same thing. I want them to like these characters and be excited about them. That isn't going to happen if they look like someone's grand parents.

That written,...

RealRT:

John Stewart is supposed to be, you know, mature and badass. He's the mature Green Lantern, if you need a young and hip Green Lantern, that's what Kyle Rayner is there for.

Just don't do the 1980s Doctor Who mistake of casting a kid side-kick. Child fans want to be the Doctor, even when it's a middle-aged Tom Baker or a 60 year old William Hartnel, not the Doctor's annoying kid side-kick.

On the other hand, doing what Doctor Who did in Earthshock (it's 35 years ago, so I think spoilers are ok by now) and killing the kid side-kick, gratituitously and without any heroic death because it's quickly revealed that they didn't need to prevent the Cybermen ship from crashing into Earth anyway, with a close-up on his face showing him terrified and crying as he clutches his brother's necklace, is an AWESOME way of making up for that mistake.

Especially when the show features a guy with a time-machine, and none of the Doctor's other companions even question why they aren't going back to rescue Adric ('But Doctor, can't you travel bend the rules of time and save him?' 'Well, yes...but he's SERIOUSLY annoying'. 'Oh yeah. Next stop Skaro?'

Azrael the Cat:

Gorfias:

MarsAtlas:

RealRT:

I share the Linda Carter attraction, but you seem to be confusing 'race of warrior women who spend their lives training for war' with 'bikini models'.

Well she doesn't look like a warrior either, for that matter - she's skinny as hell.

RealRT:

Azrael the Cat:

Gorfias:

Well she doesn't look like a warrior either, for that matter - she's skinny as hell.

Now THAT I do agree with. Same with all the fawning over Rey in TFA - I think it's awful the way in which women with full figures get body-shamed by the very people who claim to be all about ending sexism (particularly the 'if you're skinny with a large bust, you don't exist' crap), and whilst it certainly isn't Daisy Ridley's fault, I don't see how glorifying being rake-thin is an achievement.

It is VERY possible to have women who (a) look like athletes, and (b) look attractive. In fact, most female athletes look attractive IRL, and only look masculine/bag-of-walnuts when they're on the race track and flexed (most male athletes don't look their best in those conditions either). I was a champion swimmer who competed in penants, national competitions with many male and female Olympians, and several world record holders, and a LOT of the female olympians who look a bit masculine when flexed and competing are absolutely stunning looking when they're out of the pool. And why wouldn't they - they're young prime specimens of human physicality.

Again, I'm very much a fan of Linda Carter - a great example of a woman who was sexy as hell AND absolutely looked like an athlete who could kick ass.

Azrael the Cat:

Again, I'm very much a fan of Linda Carter - a great example of a woman who was sexy as hell AND absolutely looked like an athlete who could kick ass.

Well, what do you gonna do, I mean, they are only making a blockbuster that costs more than GDP of some countries, they can't afford to do casting as well as a TV show in the 70s did.
Wait...

Please please, if DC make another Green Lantern, make it John Stewart, this is one of the few places where you will make both SJWs and originalists happy.

When I originally saw the green lantern,I thought Reynolds is going to be an awful Hal. However I think he'd be awesome Kyle rayner. Not that it would have saved the movie, but I think I would have been better.

At least you didn't go with the classic suggestion of Nathan Fillion (who does the voice often).

Oh, and Shia Labeouf as Kyle Rayner, obviously. ;)

Azrael the Cat:
you seem to be confusing 'race of warrior women who spend their lives training for war' with 'bikini models'.

I just think real women, warriors or not, have curves. (That should be a movie title!) But I think in Greek Myth, the did have one less curve: they lopped off a breast to ensure it would never interfere with their bow strings. Or was that Spartan women?

Azrael the Cat:

Just don't do the 1980s Doctor Who mistake of casting a kid side-kick. Child fans want to be the Doctor, even when it's a middle-aged Tom Baker or a 60 year old William Hartnel, not the Doctor's annoying kid side-kick.

Yeah, true of Batman and Robin or Green Arrow and Speedy. Robin and Speedy have come to be rehabilitated and OK characters in their own rights, but initially? I'm sure no one fantasized about being Robin. OK, maybe Eminem.
Bigger age gap: Repo Man. I recall critics amused that young fans weren't that into Estevez, but Harry Dean Stanton.

Loving Dr. Who's newest run but happy they have an older guy playing him again.

Eric Bana? Give his spot to someone who actually pretends to act.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here