Where Are The Marvel Games?

Pages PREV 1 2

The Marvel movies are...fine. I've seen most of them, they never knocked my socks off but they're worth killing a few hours over. Big badda boom, not a lot of depth. One thing they do really well, though, is tell stories through their action beats, which helps them sell to foreign audiences where Disney can't depend on the translation being good or culturally specific references making sense, and which is where Marvel seems to be making most of their money these days.

You watch it in the US and speak English, you get it. You watch it in Thailand with a shitty Thai translation that kinda doesn't make much sense, you can still follow along because of visual storytelling techniques. The movie may cost $300 million to make, but not only does it do a billion in sales but also a bunch of money comes out of cheap-to-make toys that sell for a serious markup around the world thanks to the now-easily-recognizable characters.

Contemporary video games, on the other hand, depend on the written story beats, and tutorials, etc. Essentially, the translation quality actually matters, which is not something you can depend on when you're talking about all the places in the world that Marvel has been selling to. The audience is no longer 'people who live near enough to a theater to go see it and bring their friends/family,' but people willing to spend hours at a time playing a video game on a console or computer. The price of entry goes up ($60), the length of the game is almost unquestionably going to be greater than the length of a movie, meaning your quality has to be consistent for a longer period of time for basically the budget of a medium-sized movie (which Marvel doesn't really do)...yeah, no. Not their wheelhouse at all. Expect big-ass movies and cheap-to-make freemium mobile games for the forseeable future from Marvel.

Strazdas:

RealRT:

Strazdas:

you do know spiderman games still get made, right? they are so horrible they rival the recent Tony Hawk game.

And your point is? Yeah, there were Spider-Man games based off the last two movies and yeah, they sucked, just like the source material, but my point was that it IS possible to make good Spidey games like the ones I mentioned above.

my point is that holding up a game from two decades ago as some shining example when the series went down to make one of the worst games out there is a bit delusional. Is it possible? maybe. will they do it for next spiderman game? sure as hell not.

Yeah, it is delusional, thankfully, I did nothing of the sort. I merely listed the superhero games made since the NES era that were actually good.

I think Disney and Marvel should put more money and manpower in video games to expand on the Cinematic Universe. I liked Captain America: Super Soldier and how it fit in the middle of the movie, when Cap and the Howling Commandoes are trashing all those HYDRA locations. The one in the game just so happened to be a castle that once belonged to Baron Heinrich Zemo.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here