Honest Game Trailers: Undertale

Undertale

From the crowd funding platform that will pay for your game as long as you fill it with terrifying fetish characters, comes the game that gets by on referential internet humor almost as much as... we do!

Watch Video

I did not see that coming.

Nicely done though.

That was both surprisingly enjoyable and less spoiler heavy than I thought it was going to be.

hOI!

What? No mention of Temmie? Unforgivable!

Ok, I must be salty, 'cause "barebones underground and uninspired environments" pisses me off. And how the hell do you play this game while "ingnore the plot completely"? "Playing an RPG like an RPG"? that's the whole friking point, there's no "standard" a game must obey.

ritchards:
hOI!

What? No mention of Temmie? Unforgivable!

Temmie got a prominent cameo at one point, if it makes you feel better.

Besides, trying to briefly describe temmie is really difficult unless you want to go with "a wierd thing dog centaur thing"

Weasker:
Ok, I must be salty, 'cause "barebones underground and uninspired environments" pisses me off. And how the hell do you play this game while "ingnore the plot completely"? "Playing an RPG like an RPG"? that's the whole friking point, there's no "standard" a game must obey.

Even by 8-bit Standards its enviornments are uninspired and bland.

I mean look at games Shovel Knight and Oddalus The Dark Call:

http://yachtclubgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/screen_07.png

http://www.honestgamers.com/images/assets/13/O/51344/6.jpg

Even some old school NES games like these:

http://i.imgur.com/s02Mw3A.jpg

http://www.fsgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/imagenes/2014/03/03/1391629717883.jpg

And the combat just boils down to Geomatry Wars style platforming when it comes to resisting enemy damage.

Samtemdo8:

Weasker:

Even by 8-bit Standards its enviornments are uninspired and bland.

I mean look at games Shovel Knight and Oddalus The Dark Call:

http://yachtclubgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/screen_07.png

http://www.honestgamers.com/images/assets/13/O/51344/6.jpg

Even some old school NES games like these:

http://i.imgur.com/s02Mw3A.jpg

http://www.fsgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/imagenes/2014/03/03/1391629717883.jpg

And the combat just boils down to Geomatry Wars style platforming when it comes to resisting enemy damage.

Fair point on the graphics. Now, "barebones" I would argue it's not, the characters and the interaction with the environments have a lot of attention to detail. It just sounds like he was expecting "a living breathing" world from an Open World game, which is ridiculous and unnecessary for this game.
Second, I don't think it's fair to say the gameplay "boils dow to..." when every enemy has a different attack pattern and the bosses always introduce new rules. It's like saying an FPS "boils down to" pressing the "shoot" button when the enemy is on the center of the screen.

Should I watch this honest trailer if I haven't played the game at all yet, and don't want to be spoiled? I know the Honest Trailers try to avoid spoiling stuff, or at least warning people first.

Happyninja42:
Should I watch this honest trailer if I haven't played the game at all yet, and don't want to be spoiled? I know the Honest Trailers try to avoid spoiling stuff, or at least warning people first.

It's marked for spoilers and I would argue that if you plan on playing it as unspoiled as you can, hold off on watching this. There are a few big spoilers tucked away in there.

Weasker:

He said that it has such a good story and characters that people tolerate the barebones underground and uninspired environments. I don't remember when he said "ingnore the plot completely" though.

Tanis:
That was both surprisingly enjoyable and less spoiler heavy than I thought it was going to be.

Speak for yourself man, that seemed to be really heavy with the spoilers. But then again I somehow managed to pretty much avoid almost everything about it before I played it.

Dalisclock:

Happyninja42:

It's marked for spoilers and I would argue that if you plan on playing it as unspoiled as you can, hold off on watching this. There are a few big spoilers tucked away in there.

Righto, thought as much. Thanks.

CaitSeith:
I don't remember when he said "ingnore the plot completely" though.

Right when the duck grabs him in the video. "...ignore the plot while you do" all this random things I can't quote verbatim. I mean, it's not like the game is an open world filled with sidequests. It's pretty linear, and I for one appreciate that it never deviates too much from the main story.

Good video. I love Honest Trailers!
I think my only issue with the video is that it keeps on riding on the "meme" humor that Undertale has.

I don't really think Undertale has any substantial memes from the internet like "doge" or "trollface". I think the humor it's wanting to talk about are the tongue and cheek moments that refer to anime fandom, dating sims, and perhaps the style of dialogue by the Temmies.

Weasker:

CaitSeith:
I don't remember when he said "ingnore the plot completely" though.

Right when the duck grabs him in the video. "...ignore the plot while you do" all this random things I can't quote verbatim. I mean, it's not like the game is an open world filled with sidequests. It's pretty linear, and I for one appreciate that it never deviates too much from the main story.

He isn't talking as much as sidequest as about padding. Besides, you don't need to talk to 90% of the game characters outside the battle to get the happy ending. And after defeating (well, giving mercy) to the boss of an area; you can backtrack safely and talk to the monsters you faced in random encounters. That's totally optional, it takes time and it doesn't advance or change the plot by any means. The irony is that all of this are positive observations from his part.

Meh, I was pretty luke-warm on this game. This Honest Trailer was funny, but not nearly as mean as I was hoping it would be (judging by the opening warning). I dunno. I think the Hype Train ruined this one for me.

And Alphys as Tumblr. Where's the lie.

Then again, it's not really gonna incite as much rage as mentioning So Sorry so with that said, that was a goooood trailer xD

I can't blame the internet alone on this one...

I only had a slight interest in the game so I watched the Game Grumps Let's Play of it.

I wish I hadn't. I really wish I hadn't. Its exactly the Earthbound-type game I would have sunk into instantly.

If you have any curiosity about it, play it yourself. People said so in the comments but we didn't listen.

Redlin5:
I can't blame the internet alone on this one...

I only had a slight interest in the game so I watched the Game Grumps Let's Play of it.

I wish I hadn't. I really wish I hadn't. Its exactly the Earthbound-type game I would have sunk into instantly.

If you have any curiosity about it, play it yourself. People said so in the comments but we didn't listen.

Did you end up playing it, though? If it seemed up your alley, you could've stopped watching the Let'sPlay.

This game sniffs its own farts and likes it. I'm glad Honest Trailers at least called it out a bit for that.

Ah man this is driving me nuts. What is that song that's playing during the bit at the end? When they're listing the stars of the game?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here