Escapist Podcast: 207: Was Force Awakens a Glorious Return for Star Wars?

207: Was Force Awakens a Glorious Return for Star Wars?

We finally get around to talking about the new Star Wars. So yeah, there will be spoilers.

Watch Video

I can never get onboard with people saying The force awakens is better than Return of the Jedi. Force Awakens is just decent. There are a lot of problems with it. I sat down and watched ROTJ again a couple days ago and still thought it was great.

I do want to present a scenario that I think would have greatly improved the ending so imagine if..

If you read the spoiler, I just think the actual ending felt less emotional and the fight caused more problems than benefits. In my mind if they had just changed the order of events slightly it would have given you some more reason to empathize with him and given the movie some better character depth.

Hell yeah! I'm not gunna say it was better than one of the original trilogy, but it's been a long time since I really enjoyed a movie the way I did TFA. Especially as far as star wars releases go. I spent most of the movie verklempt! The steady trickle of action, taking in all the details I could (And still missing a few), watching a set up for hopefully a truly great trilogy!

I mean yeah, it borrowed from previous Star Wars, but it brought it's own stuff to the table. It was a good balance, IMO.

It had a huge impact on my night, even well after the movie, and I'm glad that there's a lot of active heroes. I mean I went in expecting Rey to be there jus to make everyone else look good, but she was a solid member of the team which was a great surprise.

I hope that this movie has a wider impact, showing women can be in highly profitable films, and that it can be worthwhile marketing the lead women.

Am I doing something wrong with the RSS links? Ever since episode 186, none of them have worked for me except 189, 196, 205, and 206 for some reason.

it was clearly disneys attempt at meshing old and new star wars.. you have a familiar plot, familiar characters but also introducing the next generation as well.

in my opinion they did a great job and after the prequels show they know star wars better than lucas does these days

IMO, it is not appropriate now to compare The Force Awakens to any of the original three as TFA is not a complete story. Nor was it conceived that way - it is Act I, not a full movie. Once 8 and 9 are released, it will be easier to compare and review the movie. (and I do consider it to be one long movie, not three movies.)

pookie101:
it was clearly disneys attempt at meshing old and new star wars.. you have a familiar plot, familiar characters but also introducing the next generation as well.

in my opinion they did a great job and after the prequels show they know star wars better than lucas does these days

Buddy of mine says he now has new respect for the prequels. IMHO, they were a failure, but they tried to do something new.

I liked the new Star Wars but 2 things:
1) I hate the "redemption" theme... we supposed to like Kylo Ren at some future point after what he did?!?!?!
2) No progress. We are in the same place now as at the end of Episode 6.

We Should have had a new story.

Tono Makt:
IMO, it is not appropriate now to compare The Force Awakens to any of the original three as TFA is not a complete story. Nor was it conceived that way - it is Act I, not a full movie. Once 8 and 9 are released, it will be easier to compare and review the movie. (and I do consider it to be one long movie, not three movies.)

This is pretty well my view. Beyond that its also unfair to judge any characters on what has been presented so far. We simply have not all the information needed to form a full judgment of who they are and what their motivations are. Example: We can't rightly say Rey is a "Mary Sue" (which she isn't anyway but thats a different argument) because we don't know her full backstory.

Its an incomplete story and we just don't have enough info to make informed judgments.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here