Zero Punctuation: Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

Pages PREV 1 2

Multiverseman:
IMO, I blame Miyamoto for most Mario games being formulaic drivel. From the stuff I've read, whenever Nintendo's teams tried to do something creative or the like with the Mario games after Super Paper Mario, Miyamoto would intervene. It happened with Super Mario Galaxy 2, and it happened again with Sticker Star, and I'm guessing it was also the case here...

And yet I thought Super Mario Galaxy 2 was better than the 1st game.

And I wish for a Super Mario Galaxy 3 on the next Nintendo console.

xaszatm:
I'm confused, you're saying Miyamoto stifles creativity in the Mario games...when Sticker Star's whole shtick was that it was copying too much from Thousand Year Door.

This statement honestly baffles me. The complete opposite is true; most people disliked Sticker Star because it had no story whatsoever, while previous Paper Mario games had terrific stories and subplots.

xaszatm:
...when did I say the game was great? I thought it was a good game by itself, but a poor Paper Mario title. I AGREE that changing the battle system was a poor choice. And I think the more generic story only hurt it in the long run (though I do find that the humor is still there, it's just not as pronounced). When did I say that others had to like Sticker Star for that matter?

Also, I still say the Club Nintendo survey did more to make Sticker Star what it was (for better or for worse) than Miyamoto himself. We are taking one paragraph as if Miyamoto viciously mandated it like some petty tyrant. I don't mean to undersell Miyamoto's influence because I don't think it was that influential.

I don't think the change to the battle system was really a poor choice. The lack of story though is what killed it, since the story and subplots were the strongest aspects of previous Paper Mario games. And Miyamoto is the one that overreacted to the Club Nintendo survey, basically saying "People weren't particularly fond of this story? Fuck it! No more story at all, none whatsoever!"

Samtemdo8:

Multiverseman:
IMO, I blame Miyamoto for most Mario games being formulaic drivel. From the stuff I've read, whenever Nintendo's teams tried to do something creative or the like with the Mario games after Super Paper Mario, Miyamoto would intervene. It happened with Super Mario Galaxy 2, and it happened again with Sticker Star, and I'm guessing it was also the case here...

And yet I thought Super Mario Galaxy 2 was better than the 1st game.

And I wish for a Super Mario Galaxy 3 on the next Nintendo console.

I believe he's referring to how Miyamoto removed from it any semblance of a plot that wasn't "Bowser kidnaps Peach":

http://www.wired.com/2009/06/super-mario-galaxy-2/

Michael Prymula:
Well, looks like we've already got a candidate for Yahtzee's blandest games list.

Not necessarily. His Super Mario Maker review was pretty harsh, so I was in shock that it didn't make the blandest games list for last year.

ToastyMozart:

Catasros:
to be honest, the Thousand Year Door is one of those games I really hope gets re-released seeing as it's a game I never had the chance to play. And considering that most people seem to really love it, I'm surprised Nintendo has yet to put it up on the eshop, the cost of prettying it up a bit'd be payed off by the end of day one of release. But maybe that's just my wishful thinking...

In the meantime, I think a group of people made a texture mod for a higher resolution UI, so you could just run it in Dolphin until a proper re-release comes around.

Cheers for this, will hopefully enjoy it ^.^

HEY!

I liked the music numbers in The Young Ones.Especially when Suggs would make fun of Rik.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here