8 Fictional Planets You Should Never Visit

8 Fictional Planets You Should Never Visit

If these planets existed, they'd have the most extensive travel warnings you'd ever seen.

Read Full Article

The solution to all these problems is to nuke them from orbit. Then keep nuking. And keep nuking. And do it until Exterminatus is complete.

Though with how Science Fiction tends to be there's often more then enough worlds to make an 8 worst planets list out of each franchise. I know Star Trek, Star Wars and Stargate all have some pretty terrible worlds to visit.

Zontar:
The solution to all these problems is to nuke them from orbit. Then keep nuking. And keep nuking. And do it until Exterminatus is complete.

Though with how Science Fiction tends to be there's often more then enough worlds to make an 8 worst planets list out of each franchise. I know Star Trek, Star Wars and Stargate all have some pretty terrible worlds to visit.

Definitely, although I'm surprised LV-426 didn't at least get a mention. I'd much rather not get eaten by xenomorphs.

SlumlordThanatos:
snip

My logic was "What planets could I land on and have a legitimate chance of being murdered within seconds." LV-426, for all its faults, at least restricted its xenomorphs to a single colony. But I might revisit it with a follow-up gallery later on.

Except you CAN'T Visit SR388 anymore.

Because

No mention to that film Pitch Black planet? Ok sure it has three sun but once the eclipse has begun, there is nowhere to hide from those nocturnal predator!

I suppose the same could be said to the game Borderlands Pandora (when they first discover it, they didn't realise the native creatures were habination) but with the added bonus of psychopath bandits!

LV-426? Anyone? Aliens? Had Sigourney Weaver? No? Nothing? okay...

Also no Armaggedon? Toxic atmosphere, chemically burning seas, scorching temperatures, billions of Orks and random Chaos artifacts that can steal your soul if you touch them?

I mean seriously you did Doctor Who before Warhammer 40k?! I thought you took being a nerd seriously.

Zontar:

Good plan, except for earth 3, Owl Man will have an anti-exterminatus gadget, whilst even if it works Superwoman and Ultraman will still be hunting you down looking for both revenge and a new planet to crush under their heel.

SlumlordThanatos:

Definitely, although I'm surprised LV-426 didn't at least get a mention. I'd much rather not get eaten by xenomorphs.

To be fair, by the end of Aliens LV-426 was a pretty safe place to be, what with the giant nuclear explosion visible from space removing the Terraformer, the derelict ship, Hadley's Hope and any trace of the Xenomorphs. Stay out of the fallout zone and it's all golden.

Unless of course you take Colonial Marines as being canon, in which case you must be ritually burned at the stake and ground into fish food, the fish will then also be burned at the stake.

Silentpony:
Also no Armaggedon? Toxic atmosphere, chemically burning seas, scorching temperatures, billions of Orks and random Chaos artifacts that can steal your soul if you touch them?

What about Commorragh (technically not planet I know), or the unnamed Necron Homeworld, or Cadia, Catachan (alias planet Tyranid) or the death worlds in general?

In 40k it's harder to list planets that aren't horrific (mostly the Tau worlds) than the ones that are somewhat approachable.

OMG how is LV-426 NOT on this list? It should be #1 least desirable tourist stop.

"Game over, man! Game over!!"

fix-the-spade:

Silentpony:

What about Commorragh (technically not planet I know), or the unnamed Necron Homeworld, or Cadia, Catachan (alias planet Tyranid) or the death worlds in general?

In 40k it's harder to list planets that aren't horrific (mostly the Tau worlds) than the ones that are somewhat approachable.

Yeah it's a universe that has planets specifically marked "death worlds" and yet people continue to live on them. They're the worlds where the toughest mortals come from (is Cadia a death world yet? If not it should be given its location).

Zontar:

It's funny you mention that. In the book Starship Troopers (IE, the only Starship Troopers should care about), the humans go one step further on a couple planets the Arachnids settle. They don't just nuke the surface, cuz the bugs live underground. They crack the planets open with what I assume is some combination of an anti-matter bomb and Cyclonic Torpedo.

fix-the-spade:
Unless of course you take Colonial Marines as being canon, in which case you must be ritually burned at the stake and ground into fish food, the fish will then also be burned at the stake.

What are you talking about? There was never an Aliens game with that title.

Still, you have a good point. I've not seen Aliens in a long time, it was a bit fuzzy.

Xan Krieger:
[SNIP

Cadia is technically not a Death World. Its a Primus Class Fortress World and Naval dockyard too. But you're right. Chaos Marines are practically an indigenous species.

And basically every single world in the Eye of Terror is a literal hell planet, including a personal favorite that isn't a planet at all but a massive obese naked man curled up into a ball.

See?
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Oliensis

Silentpony:

I mean seriously you did Doctor Who before Warhammer 40k?! I thought you took being a nerd seriously.

I'd argue that Doctor Who is far more in nerd territory than W40K. If anything, 40K is far more a setting for jocks indulging in power fantasies (seriously, I got tired of "for the Emperor!" being repeated ad nauseum years ago). But that aside, the problem with 40K is that its planets tend to be hellholes by default, whereas in Doctor Who, hostile worlds aren't entirely uncommon, but are by no means the norm.

Anyway, looking at the list, I feel listing a universe as a planet is a bit out of lace, and as pointed out, SR-388 has the issue of being destroyed. Also, I don't think Arrakis really belongs on the list. Maybe this is from watching Children of Dune not too long ago, but while Arakkis was a harsh world prior to Paul's terraforming project, the Fremen could still survive quite well, and both the Atreides and Harkonens established themselves securely. If anything, threats to people on Dune seem to come more from the Sardekar or the Fremen themselves. Even the sand worms are more intent on going about their business than targeting humans specifically (though that does still happen). And after the terraforming takes off, some Fremen feel the planet's got too 'soft' for their liking, and spark a civil war.

Kids these days...

Silentpony:

Cadia is technically not a Death World. Its a Primus Class Fortress World and Naval dockyard too. But you're right. Chaos Marines are practically an indigenous species.

And basically every single world in the Eye of Terror is a literal hell planet, including a personal favorite that isn't a planet at all but a massive obese naked man curled up into a ball.

See?

There is also the planet that is literally named Murder, that's right lads, a world called Murder.

Zontar:

Nice idea in theory; except when the dwellers have anti-orbital defenses.

I'd like to nominate this guy

Ego the living planet.

Not especially dangerous compared to some listed already but he does just go on and on and on;

and on.

You'll be trying to will deafness on yourself before the first afternoon is over.

What about Alderaan?
Too soon?

Apokolips. A hive planet run as a concentration camp, led by Darkseid. At least you'll likely get a quick death on LV-426. You'll be praying for that on Apokolips.

No LV-246? I understand these things are a matter of opinion, but can imagine no valid argument for not including LV-246 in such a list.

Dune is gone.
It has been nuked to oblivion, in Frank Herbert?s penultimate dune-novel "Heretics of Dune".

Silentpony:

Xan Krieger:
[SNIP

See?

I know the chaos gods are crazy but....*struggling for words*...you know there are no words, that is beyond my verbal ability. This is why I stick to Khorne, don't think about violence, just do it.

All these spots were on my vacation tour this year! Those tickets were non-refundable!

Chuppi:
Dune is gone.
It has been nuked to oblivion, in Frank Herbert?s penultimate dune-novel "Heretics of Dune".

Well, that's what they get for hiring Samus Aran to handle their worm problem.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here