Five Reasons Why You Should Play Duelyst

Five Reasons Why You Should Play Duelyst

Duelyst is the newest online collectible card game on the block, and it's poised to take on Hearthstone in a big way.

Read Full Article

This reads more like a sponsor add. The claim that this is going to be bigger then hearthstone also brings me back to the days where the next big mmo anouncement was allways gonna be THE "WoW killer"... only to see them shamefully crumble under their own hype.

Thing is thought that hearthstone is as big as it is BECAUSE of its simplicity. The more complex you make your CCG the more casuals you will lose in the process. Now depth and complexity isnt bad, far from it. But it remains a fact that most people who play hearthstone do it because its quick, its easy, and most of the strategizing is done during the deck building.

This game wont be bigger then hearthstone because you need to invest alot more time into it and into individual matches compared to heathstones quick n easy gameplay.

Doesnt mean its a bad game, just means that the claim that its going to be bigger rather... overoptimistic.

Karadalis:
This reads more like a sponsor add. The claim that this is going to be bigger then hearthstone also brings me back to the days where the next big mmo anouncement was allways gonna be THE "WoW killer"... only to see them shamefully crumble under their own hype.

Thing is thought that hearthstone is as big as it is BECAUSE of its simplicity. The more complex you make your CCG the more casuals you will lose in the process. Now depth and complexity isnt bad, far from it. But it remains a fact that most people who play hearthstone do it because its quick, its easy, and most of the strategizing is done during the deck building.

This game wont be bigger then hearthstone because you need to invest alot more time into it and into individual matches compared to heathstones quick n easy gameplay.

Doesnt mean its a bad game, just means that the claim that its going to be bigger rather... overoptimistic.

It's moments like this that makes me wish I could give a +1 alone and get away with it. Some people just nail the argument. Hearthstone is big, really big. This game sounds like a possible middle ground between MTG and Hearthstone. That might work in its favour, but I somehow doubt it'd gonna explode. There's a lot of TCGs out there. And all this one seems to do based on this very ad like article (It really sounded scripted to hell and back) is that it's cheaper and does a tweaks a thing or two in comparison to Hearthstone. That of course doesn't account for the actual gameplay, but hopefully you get my point.

I wouldn't be surprised if this just faded into obscurity over time.

I don't post much these days and I found Duelyst in mid-November while looking for alternatives to Hearthstone. It's been great at that. The positional board is what drew me to it. I wouldn't call it an HS-killer in the way that DotA2 isn't a LoL-killer - and it's more like final fantasy tactics than heroes of might and magic.

Right now the UI and presentation isn't as simple or clear for people to understand, but the actual gameplay is pretty good. It's worth trying if you're interested in HS but didn't like some of the worse RNG elements. I'm not here to advertise the game, but I think it would be popular with an audience of people who are sort of burned out on HS, or want something somewhat more strategic.

I agree that this article sounds more like a paid ad, which would be fine if they say so (for example, Trump and Kibler have been playing Duelyst, and Trump openly tells people that it's a paid promotion). I don't mind Counterplay Games (the Duelyst Dev team) promoting the game at all, and advertising will probably ramp up as it comes out of beta. I find it unfortunate that the article here misses the fact that it was a kickstarter game, and has already been greenlit on steam but they're waiting for a couple more patches before really making that push, I think.

Anyway, I can see how it doesn't have the "at first glance" appeal that HS would to a Warcraft player, or a mobile player, but I'm sure the UI will be changed a bit before the mobile version comes out / before it leaves beta.

So no, it won't ever be as "big" as HS, but it might be able to survive in the market, which is really all it needs to do. A clean presentation helps a lot.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.