Hail, Caesar! - Go, Hollywood! (Also - Boo, Hollywood!)

Hail, Caesar! - Go, Hollywood! (Also - Boo, Hollywood!)

Hail, Caesar! is a film that requires you to have some understanding of classic Hollywood in order to fully appreciate it.

Read Full Article

Gotta love the Coen brothers. I still havn't seen all their work yet, but am damn well determined to eventually. They are genuinely surprising, quirky and clever in a comfortingly consistent manner. Basically, their names on any film are like a stamp of garunteed quality. :)

in fact, there's an entire scene based on just that premise, and it's hilarious.

As someone who's religious himself, I thought that scene was easily one of the funniest parts of the movie, in a good way. It could be that I had at least somewhat of a better understanding of what was going on there than a lot of the film background stuff I'm probably not quite as 'in-the-know' about.

Yet another movie about people who make movies. Hollywood is becoming way too self-referential.

Leon Royce:
Yet another movie about people who make movies. Hollywood is becoming way too self-referential.

B-but this one is so goooooood and full of joy.

Although I think I was the only person laughing in the entire theater, which was weird.

Looks and sounds enjoyable. I gotta see this with my family, before Deadpool premieres next weekend. Who knows? Maybe people who aren't "film people" and go see this will turn into "film people".

Leon Royce:

The cheat code to getting an Oscar nod for next year.

Saw it this weekend, thoroughly enjoyed it and I didn't have much foreknowledge of the subject matter.

That said, I don't know if the Coens ever do sequels, but I'd pay money to see an expanded telling of Alden Ehrenreich's character's story. There's enough there for a whole movie.

I can't say I enjoyed this movie. Without spoiling anything, it feels like maybe three of the dozens of threads had what I'd call a satisfactory conclusion. It just boils down to people meandering around, usually without a threat or sense of real urgency. AKA, boring stuff.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here