7 Lesser-Known Superhero Movies

While Deadpool managed to break a barrier and become a household name, these films failed to do the same for their superheroes.

Read Full Article

Ok 1,4, 6 and 7 I haven't heard of before. Man they are really obsure.

I thought Super, from James Gunn, was going to be on this list... but i guess it is known in some circles at least.

And hey, I liked the 2004 Punisher! By no means a perfect movie or anything but Thomas Jane made a great Punisher... it could have used a better first act and I think the villain was miscast (Travolta came off way too silly to be taken seriously), but the final act was well done and frankly any time the male and female leads don't automatically sleep together is a plus in my books.

The Shadow! I actually can't remember any of it so I really have no idea how bad or goodbad it is but it is definitely on the bad spectrum.

How the hell isn't Steel on this list?! Is Shaquille O'Neal wearing a latex costume shaped like steel while saying "Its Hammer Time!" not worthy of your list, Escapist?!

Synigma:
I thought Super, from James Gunn, was going to be on this list... but i guess it is known in some circles at least.

Same, I watched it before I saw Guardians of the Galaxy and it was cool to see some familiar faces.

Maybe it's well known now because of that, or it doesn't qualify as a "super"hero movie

Am I the only one who watched the Condorman movie?

Wuvlycuddles:
The Shadow! I actually can't remember any of it so I really have no idea how bad or goodbad it is but it is definitely on the bad spectrum.

I remember it reasonably well. It had flavor. You can do much worse.

I was kind of expecting Defendor (with Woody Harrelson). It's kind of odd.

Was this article written by a tween or something? If you were a kid who was alive at the time and like superheroes, most of these don't count as obscure. Sure, there was some weird one's in there, and I definitely wasn't around for one of them... but I definitely remember these and they were not obscure in the era they came out in. Newsflash, some of us are a bit older and also always liked superheroes, independent of the current fad of superhero popularity.

Y U NO Special or Defendor? Those are good. Most of the non swap-thing movies on this list aren't so much.

Synigma:

And hey, I liked the 2004 Punisher! By no means a perfect movie or anything but Thomas Jane made a great Punisher... it could have used a better first act and I think the villain was miscast (Travolta came off way too silly to be taken seriously), but the final act was well done and frankly any time the male and female leads don't automatically sleep together is a plus in my books.

I agree and I actually liked it better than the reboot. I always saw the punisher as being able to handle punishment as well as dealing it. Ray's movie didn't really show that, while I feel the first one did

Ok, I seriously want to see Pizza Man now.

Wish it was on netflix or something

The Return of Captain Invincible, anyone? Alan Arkin as a recovering alcoholic superhero -

I saw the 90's Punisher movie. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't very good. Still, it was prompted me to do some reading of The Punisher comics, so I suppose it was good in that respect. Punisher vs Batman would be a movie I would watch, the man who kills vs the one who doesn't. Both are known for doing their homework, and are skilled hand-to-hand fighters.

OT; There was a made for t.v JLA movie back in the early (20)00's. Had Green Lantern (not Stewart), Flash and John Johns. It was half documentary and half action movie. It wholly sucked.

I live in Oxford, where there is a museum called The Pitt Rivers. It's brilliant (you have to go through an entirely other museum just to find it). It's absolutely crammed with crazy stuff from all over the world and looks like a Victorian cabinet of curiosities. image

Anyway, I mention it because on the top floor there is a row of ancient looking, tribal shields from New Guinea, and painted onto the front of them is The Phantom. image

Don't underestimate Billy Zane.

The Phantom is awesome and The Punisher wasn't too bad.

CaitSeith:

Nope. Me too.

Back in the day, I took Adam West's Batman relatively seriously. There simply was relatively very little out there for a nerd like me that spent $50 a week on comic books.

This belonged to a similar school of camp, winking at you about how silly it all is, yet, visually, it was almost the game in town.

Another recent one is :

As for this list, Paper Man looks awesome! Never heard of it before now. I just ordered it on Bluray from Amazon for $7. Seems worth checking out.

Jorpho:

I was kind of expecting Defendor (with Woody Harrelson). It's kind of odd.

Looks to be from the same school of thought as

Neither movie is dull to me.

That Swamp Thing movie was directed by Wes Craven AND stars that chick from Escape From New York??? I kinda wanna see it.

CaitSeith:

Michael Crawford as the least likely superhero ever, and yet it works. Plus that theme was epic, and the car chase was pretty bitchin.

Also, The Phantom was awesome and fuck the OP for suggesting otherwise :P

Gordon_4:

CaitSeith:

Michael Crawford as the least likely superhero ever, and yet it works. Plus that theme was epic, and the car chase was pretty bitchin.

It's more a spy-movie than a superhero movie imo...

But who remembers DARKMAN?

mister freedom looks awesome, totally going to watch that

also here is one nobody saw

Boy Wonder http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1456060/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Excellent take on the "realistic" super hero genre, really great acting from the main

Marter:

While Deadpool managed to break a barrier and become a household name, these films failed to do the same for their superheroes.

Read Full Article

You go out of your way to mention Billy Zane as the Phantom but fail to mention Treat Williams' Jeremy Irons in Dungeons and Dragons-level ham as the villain? Marter, I know you can do better than that. =P

Wuvlycuddles:

I actually kind of liked The Shadow... though I won't claim to have the most discriminating taste.

mtarzaim02:

Isn't it crazy how many amazing characters were created because DC wouldn't let people use the The Question license?

OT: I remember watching Blank Man a lot on HBO when I was a kid. In hindsight, I think it was about as bad as superhero movies not featuring Superman or Batman were, but still.

mtarzaim02:

I recall a review (Pre-Nolan) saying that Darkman was what Batman movies aspired to be.

The scene when Darkman is being chased by missle shooting helicopters was terrific! (after a blast, he asks, "you gotta be [email protected][email protected]$& kidding me!!") worked for me.

Pretty good list, although I greatly disagree about 2004 Punisher.

Whoa there. I haven't seen the 2008 Punisher, but it would be quite difficult to top the tone and characterization of the 2004 version. Completely underrated film.

Still, I had no idea that Paperman existed, despite being a pretty big Ryan Reynolds fan. Will have to check that out.

SecondPrize:
Y U NO Special or Defendor? Those are good. Most of the non swap-thing movies on this list aren't so much.

Are you asking about The Specials, also written by (and featuring as a cast member) James Gunn (Minute - as in "small" - Man)? It was pretty bad, but did feature several talented actors and comedians, including Thomas Haden Church (The Strobe), Rob Lowe (The Weevil), Paget Brewster (Ms. Indestructible), Jordan Ladd (Nightbird) and Jamie Kennedy (Amok). Like I said, not too great (and overshadowed by the equally lackluster Mystery Men, which came out about the same time.

Mortuorum:

SecondPrize:

Are you asking about The Specials, also written by (and featuring as a cast member) James Gunn (Minute - as in "small" - Man)? It was pretty bad, but did feature several talented actors and comedians, including Thomas Haden Church (The Strobe), Rob Lowe (The Weevil), Paget Brewster (Ms. Indestructible), Jordan Ladd (Nightbird) and Jamie Kennedy (Amok). Like I said, not too great (and overshadowed by the equally lackluster Mystery Men, which came out about the same time.

Nah, without the s or the end as well as the the. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479162/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

SecondPrize:

Mortuorum:

SecondPrize:

Nah, without the s or the end as well as the the. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479162/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Oh yeah, I saw that!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here