2016 Oscars Preview

2016 Oscars Preview

The 88th Academy Awards are this weekend. Here's your preview.

Read Full Article

Marter:
But it's important to remember that the Oscars is a political show, and that there's campaigning to get nominations and votes. Movies like Beasts of No Nation are snubbed because of the way they were distributed. There's a heavy bias against "genre" films. And, yes, there's the "diversity problem." This is not a perfect awards ceremony and, if your favorite movie doesn't win or wasn't even nominated, it doesn't make you wrong or mean you should love it any less. While there are diverse groups included in the Oscar voting, the majority are White and male, and the average age is 63. The winners represent their tastes, not necessarily those of the nation and most certainly not of the entire world.

Ayup. I still don't know how people can take the Oscars seriously not just when there's a lot of flagrant biases but when every year Brutally Honest Oscar Ballots comes out and shows many of the participants in voting to be complete blockheads. Every year people admit that they themselves and many others haven't even seen all the films in a category and vote in that category anyways. I know we do that here all the time but this is an internet forum, not a supposedly prestigious awards program for a major, highly visible industry. I would at least expect them to do that for Best Picture nominees - setting aside 16 hours to watch 8 films in a period of two months isn't that fucking hard. I'm sure that most voters have busy jobs and families to take care of but unless they've got a newborn crying every half-hour they should be able to put aside two hours for themselves in one week to watch a film. Then there's the obvious distaste for animated films and grudges against actors and directors. Thats just what they admit outright, not including all the unmentioned things. The whole process is rather incredulous and honestly the recent shakeup the awards show received with the #OscarsSoWhite controversy might not have been enough of a kick in the arse it needed but its a start.

I just want to list some of my predictions about The Oscars before it start. I'll break it down to Will Win, Rooting For, and occasionally mention a snub.

Best Picture: Rooting For: The Big Short
Will Win: The Revenant
Snub: Inside Out. Original is not a word commonly associated with family movies. This was an original movie that should have been given more appreciation from The Academy.

Best Director: Rooting For: Adam McKay for The Big Short
Will Win: Alejandro G. Inarritu for The Revenant
Honorable Mention: George Miller for Mad Max: Fury Road. I didn't like this movie. To be honest, the whole series never appealed to me. I only watched Fury Road because of the hype. Even though, I didn't like it. I definitely appreciated how technically difficult this movie was to pull off. I have no problem if he won.

Best Actor: Rooting For: Bryan Cranston for Trumbo
Will Win: Leonardo DiCaprio for The Revenant. It's going to be a combination of Lifetime Achievement and Playing Ugly and Handicapped. Ohhhh! Those Oscars biases.
Snub: Jason Segel for The End of the Tour. It was a wonderfully nuanced portrayal of an acclaimed author who is trying to wrestle with his demons as privately as possible.

Best Actress: Rooting For: Jennifer Lawrence for Joy
Will Win: Brie Larson for Room

Best Supporting Actor: Rooting For: Mark Rylance for Bridge of Spies
Will Win: Sylvester Stallone for Rocky: The Force Awakens
Snubs: Richard Kind for Inside Out. Bing Bong!!! Tom Noonan for Anomalisa. For Crying Out Loud! He played all but 2 characters in a whole movie.

Best Supporting Actress: Rooting For: Kate Winslet for Steve Jobs
Will Win: Kate Winslet for Steve Jobs. There has to be some upsets, then what the use of having an award show.
Snubs: Jennifer Jason Leigh for Anomalisa. Phyllis Smith for Inside Out. Alicia Vikander for Ex Machina.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Rooting For: The Big Short
Will Win: The Big Short
Snub: Steve Jobs. Aaron Sorkin reinvented the biopic with this screenplay.

Best Original Screenplay: Rooting For: either Ex Machina or Inside Out
Will Win: Ex Machina
Snub: The Hateful Eight

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook