Zero Punctuation: Stardew Valley & Superhot

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stardew Valley & Superhot

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Stardew Valley & Superhot.

Watch Video

I still remember doing what I thought was quite well in Harvest Moon only to be told by my dear departed... whatever that my farm was apparently shit.

For some reason I thought he would like superhot more. I don't see how I completely forgot about his harvest moon addiction from lets drown out.

Harvest Moon is something that never personally appealed to me, farming sims bore me to death, so i'll pass on Stardew Valley.

Superhot sounds like it's way too pretentious for it's own good, and the gameplay just looks really bland and unexciting from the Youtube videos i've seen, so it's on my "avoid at all costs" list.

What the hell Yahtzee? I sit through a 30 second ad (that hides the volume control!!!!!), and then all I get is a 45 second trailer for the escapist (which I'm already on)? I've watched that ad half a dozen times (you're welcome for the undeserved revenue) and have yet to get it to play any actual review. Your website is borked.

Edit: I'm on linux, if that's related. I'm using chrome though. Other video streaming sites work fine and flash works fine...

Yahtzee bought the farm but in a good way! : )

Oooh an Apple ///, it was a fun computer I remember playing Wolfenstein on it. Later the Apple IIGS and woo color!

I have managed to stay away for the moment but I know Stardew Valley will end up on my computer at some point. Paradox has done a good job keeping the just one more turn mechanic going and that has occupied much of my gaming time.

Superhot is the most innovative shooter I've played in years.

alexbobp:
What the hell Yahtzee? I sit through a 30 second ad (that hides the volume control!!!!!), and then all I get is a 45 second trailer for the escapist (which I'm already on)? I've watched that ad half a dozen times (you're welcome for the undeserved revenue) and have yet to get it to play any actual review. Your website is borked.

Edit: I'm on linux, if that's related. I'm using chrome though. Other video streaming sites work fine and flash works fine...

Now that ain't meant to happen. This page may help, or alternatively you can drop a message in the Tech Team chat here and someone will give you more useful feedback.

alexbobp:

Oh thats happening to you too? I get that sometimes. Its the ad that features Unskippable (no longer on the Escapist), Jim Sterling (no longer on the Escapist) and Moviebob (no longer on the Escapist...I'm beginning to think this ad is outdated) along with Yahtzee, right?

But on topic, that time mechanic Superhot has does sound intriguing, even if the game itself is a bit up its own arse. I wonder if that kind of bullet-time-is-you gameplay would work in a game for someone like the Flash, where your hyperfast reflexes let you plan out whole moves while the enemies are still pulling triggers, target the largest threats and take them out at high speed then slow down to figure who the next schmuck is

Objectable:

And the very fact that the devs crowbared in this execrable forced meme taking the form of disingenuous fake praise is why I will never touch superhot. Stardew Valey on the other hand looks quite fun, but at the moment Factorio is filling my "time blackhole" slot.

I tried Superhot for maybe 30-ish minutes, or at least not very long. After the 4th-ish level started making me retry it 50 fucking times and throw me into trial & error and when I finally did clear it then fail some more on the next ones, I immediately asked for and got a refund.

The time-slowing mechanic really doesn't serve the game any when the difficulty comes from constantly running out of bullets and having to memorize all the levels like obnoxious patterns. Makes it feel like a shitty puzzle game with only 1 solution in each moment you spend in a level.

Michael Prymula:
Superhot sounds like it's way too pretentious for it's own good, and the gameplay just looks really bland and unexciting from the Youtube videos i've seen, so it's on my "avoid at all costs" list.

Why is every game, even Call of Duty, "pretentious" nowadays again? I forgot.

major_chaos:

Objectable:

And the very fact that the devs crowbared in this execrable forced meme taking the form of disingenuous fake praise is why I will never touch superhot.

Which shooter was more innovative lately? I can think of any which would make this "disingenuous fake praise" actually accurate.

Cid Silverwing:
After the 4th-ish level started making me retry it 50 fucking times and throw me into trial & error and when I finally did clear it then fail some more on the next ones, I immediately asked for and got a refund.

It always easy to blame the game if you're just bad at it. 50 times? Trial and error? That's clearly on you.

Ok that credit at the end made me want to see a crossover/ fusion game, Super Valley!

emanresu2:

Michael Prymula:

Why is every game, even Call of Duty, "pretentious" nowadays again? I forgot.

major_chaos:

Objectable:

And the very fact that the devs crowbared in this execrable forced meme taking the form of disingenuous fake praise is why I will never touch superhot.

Which shooter was more innovative lately? I can think of any which would make this "disingenuous fake praise" actually accurate.

Cid Silverwing:
After the 4th-ish level started making me retry it 50 fucking times and throw me into trial & error and when I finally did clear it then fail some more on the next ones, I immediately asked for and got a refund.

It always easy to blame the game if you're just bad at it. 50 times? Trial and error? That's clearly on you.

People are calling COD pretentious? Seriously? That's the first heard i've ever heard of that. I can't imagine why anyone would say that about the franchise.

also "Innovative" does not always automatically equal "good", I could not give less of a fuck about how innovative Superhot if it's as boring to play as it looks and has a shite story combined with a ridiculously short length.

emanresu2:

By my subjective standards taken as a shooter Superhot is actually quite bad, its more of a puzzle game that makes clever use of perspective. And even if you subjectively think its the best thing since sliced bread that doesn't change the fact the people are regurgitating a prewritten phrase to take part in HILARIOUS MAY MAYS (tm), not attempting to express a genuine opinion. Its the slimiest viral marketing I can think of off the top of my head.
Lets be honest if any game from a mainstream dev ended with a message telling you to spam forums with zero context praise people would have rioted.

You married Leah, didn't you Yahtzee?

Michael Prymula:
People are calling COD pretentious? Seriously?

I just found this:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/69964291

But that's not where I read that first. I think it was somewhere on Steam about one of the newer titles Black Warfare Advances Ops (can't tell them apart anymore) because the story featured augmentations or something (not really following those games anymore). Like Deus Ex does (needless to say it's also pretentious).
So yeah. Apparently any game is pretentious as long as it has a story and/or does something unique.

major_chaos:
[...]

It's not tacked on and fits perfectly in the story. So I don't see a problem here.

Scarim Coral:
Ok that credit at the end made me want to see a crossover/ fusion game, Super Valley!

Super Valley: Stardew Hot Edition: The first-person farm simulator/puzzle shooter where you raise a farm, shoot down pending farm rivals (all covered in red) in hopes of winning the heart of a local farm guy/girl, and the world around your retro computer doesn't move unless you do as you later craft better and better equipment, weapons and, especially, guns... Get it now for the low prize of 50 GALD!!

OT: Stardew Valley almost interest me after hearing this one lore theory about it... and SuperHOT sounds kinda fun-ish...

Other than that, I love Pony Island! *blinks* ...What? I do...

I accidentally finished Super Hot while trying it.

My tits flew off the love handles when HAL didn't let me skip a cutscene. Shit got old super fast.

I dozed off and woke up when he was talking about quick-escapes and re-starting the game. For a moment, I thought he was talking about ImScared but I guess I'll have to wait a while for him to eviscerate THAT turd...well, probably not since he doesn't really like jump-scare games.

Worgen:
For some reason I thought he would like superhot more.

Me too.

Jofe:

Ah, so that's her name. Thanks for letting us know.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought SuperHot outstayed its welcome after 3 levels. We get, you're kinda sorta' maybe iffy quirky.

lastoflancas:

Jofe:

Who? I remember hearing he was moving to the States, but was he engaged too?

Does it mean that Yahtzee isn't exactly immune to dating sims then?

Holy Hell! Maybe it's because I got one hour sleep. Maybe it's because I'm worried and paranoid right now. Or maybe it's because I hate coffee, but that was fucking hilarious!

You were on fire in this one mate. Or should I say "Super Hot"

Back Off Sandman!

Silentpony:
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought SuperHot outstayed its welcome after 3 levels. We get, you're kinda sorta' maybe iffy quirky.

lastoflancas:

Jofe:

I think in the game, he married the first woman he met, just to get it over with.

I guess there's going to be some kind of "metanarrative" schtick in games like these since Undertale. Sounds like a topic for Extra Punctuation.

I feel like Super Hot may have been kind of a victim of its prototype's own success. The vague version of the full game's plot and the "shoot red dudes in a world with almost no textures" worked fine enough for the scope of the prototype, but both seemed to have been stretched thin for the full release - and even then the campaign ended up being pretty short, even if there's a lot of extras in the package. Overall I got the impression that they didn't want to cock up people's expectations after the prototype got such a good response.

The lack of a more complicated artstyle I can understand given the game's budget, but I think they could have provided more content by providing more challenging adversaries and environments that take advantage of slow mo being a central mechanic, like aiming for small weak spots or executing complicated acrobatics and combos you'd usually never be able to pull off. Part of the cinematic appeal of slow mo is after all showing the audience something too complicated to fully comprehend in real time (unless it's simply being used for dramatic emphasis, which Super Hot can't really go for).

And yeah the story also seemed pretty weak once it got an inch deep. Which tends to be the case with mystery stories once the mystery gets revealed (the blanks always seems spookier in our heads), but in this case in particular it felt like someone liked that type of meta narrative and only managed to copy it at a surface level, like someone citing pretty-sounding poetry when it doesn't actually apply to a situation. Which ultimately made it come across as cleverer than it actually was.

But all that aside, I think the devs' biggest mistake was hiding a BIG chunk of the content in the "Endless" and "Challenges" sections.

I think people would have been waaay more satisfied with Super Hot if the mapping work in those modes had been put towards additional campaign maps and the gameplay variants would have been introduced over the course of the game. Could have fluffed it like Hotline Miami masks, could have done a linear progression and fluffed it as the protagonist's powers fluctuating/the game updating. There were some really fun alternative game modes, but none of them have maps designed to take advantage of them, and there are some pretty cool Endless maps, but you always have to play them in the standard game mode (with optional timers).

Darth_Payn:

Silentpony:

lastoflancas:

I think in the game, he married the first woman he met, just to get it over with.

I guess there's going to be some kind of "metanarrative" schtick in games like these since Undertale. Sounds like a topic for Extra Punctuation.

Well, the first woman who was available, because Robin is the first woman you meet but she's married to Demetrius. You can marry her daughter though.

emanresu2:

Michael Prymula:
People are calling COD pretentious? Seriously?

I just found this:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/69964291

But that's not where I read that first. I think it was somewhere on Steam about one of the newer titles Black Warfare Advances Ops (can't tell them apart anymore) because the story featured augmentations or something (not really following those games anymore). Like Deus Ex does (needless to say it's also pretentious).
So yeah. Apparently any game is pretentious as long as it has a story and/or does something unique.

major_chaos:
[...]

It's not tacked on and fits perfectly in the story. So I don't see a problem here.

Wow, some people truly are bellends.

Superhot is one of those rare games in which I kind of wish it had no story. I really loved the gameplay and how badass it made you feel. I wasn't into the story though because it was trying real hard to be all meta and it showed

Jofe:

Most people did, according to the message board poll, so I'm guessing it's because it's too hard to track down anybody in the town and they went for the person who happened to be closest and most easily impressed by flowers, salad, and wine.

springheeljack:
Superhot is one of those rare games in which I kind of wish it had no story. I really loved the gameplay and how badass it made you feel. I wasn't into the story though because it was trying real hard to be all meta and it showed

I only just played the prototype just two days ago, and was having an absolute blast. I had been wondering what the story in the full game would be like, if any, and while it's a shame that they apparently didn't keep it as minimalist as possible, so long as I get me an endless mode I think I'll be set.

I'm particularly excited about watching the replay in real time, since that will make epic moments look truly amazing.

chadachada123:

springheeljack:

I only just played the prototype just two days ago, and was having an absolute blast. I had been wondering what the story in the full game would be like, if any, and while it's a shame that they apparently didn't keep it as minimalist as possible, so long as I get me an endless mode I think I'll be set.

I'm particularly excited about watching the replay in real time, since that will make epic moments look truly amazing.

Honestly it is not a bad story its just kind of there. The good thing is you can knock it out really fast and get right to the good stuff

slo:
Does it mean that Yahtzee isn't exactly immune to dating sims then?

I'm reminded of his review of Killer is Dead where the talks about the dating mode there, where you have to(have the option to?) seduce women by thrusting gifts in their faces in between staring at their breasts, and when you success she gives you a power tool, like some kind of bizarre vending machine(I forget exactly how he put it and I can't pull up the video at this moment).

To be fair, gift giving in stardew valley is tricky, because some gifts will be loved and others will just earn you a look of disappointment, and it's totally dependent on the person(unlike the original Harvest moon where you could just shove eggs in people faces until they marry you). The only way to know which gifts will be liked is if someone tells you or you figure it out from Observation(The people who are at the saloon every single night will always thank you if you give them beer).

springheeljack:

chadachada123:

springheeljack:

Honestly it is not a bad story its just kind of there. The good thing is you can knock it out really fast and get right to the good stuff

Agreed. Yahtzee's review of it is actually pretty fair, but I still LOVE that gameplay. Haven't been playing much else since it came out. :P

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here