Writer's Blockade

Writer's Blockade

We aren't afraid of either.

Read Full Article

Yeah but, if given the choice, I'm sure most everyone would just simply choose to bang their manic pixie dream girl.

Over time I've found the most effective motivation to be the deadline. If you know the next section is going live on Friday, whether it's nicely polished or just a pile of half-finished notes, you feel compelled to actually write something. My logic is that you can always go back later to change something if it doesn't work, granted that doesn't apply to a consistently rolling webcomic.

You know what you need to combat writers block? A manatee tank with floating balls with random words printed on them. The manatee will select several balls at random, and you then write your story around them.

But...i don't want to choose between fun and responsibility. Isn't there a third option where we travel to the desert to consume conspicuous cacti and just allow whatever dribbles out our brains to be absorbed by those that require our absorption?

How can you have writers block when EverQuest Next was canceled just over a week ago?! That alone is enough material to push 2 months worth of comic gold. Touch in a bit about how Daybreak split their game H1Z1 (each now dubbed "H.5Z.5") for giggles.

Oh, and there's the whole Gawker with Hogan's sex tape. What, too easy to make tabloid jokes?

The Cuban trade agreement Obama is so sought after could have a Duke Nukum joke about finally releasing his cigar supply.

Come on! Be creative!

You know, I really didn't need the metaphor of turning shit into chocolate stirring around in my head.

Yup...
Either you throw darts until you hit something, or you frantically type and type on a idea until you're satisfied with it.
Well, that's what my experience is like.

Oooor... there is one last option. Your brain decided to grace your mind with flow and quality made of dreams.
But hey, who gets that? :P

(Well, I do, sometimes.)

So true. Whenever I feel uneasy about what I'm writing, I just tell myself, "Just write it. You can fix it when you go back to do the editing."

The Wooster:
We aren't afraid of either.

As clearly demonstrated by all the "Lazy Grey Art Days". :P

I owe my entire education to the latter motivation pictured.

The only thing not pictured is how difficult it can be to run after thirty plus hours without sleep.

Or you can choose to make a comic strip about Writer's block

Grey cleverly comes up with a 2nd metaphor so awful that the first one doesn't sound so bad anymore.

Uh, Grey? Who said you could put this image in my head? Take it back.

Take it back

I don't know about that second metaphor. What if you're creatively constipated from consuming too much cheesy schlock? Might there be a creativity laxative somewhere?

Most creative people I know take either a long shower or a big dump. Having a balanced diet kind of locks you out of the second option, though.

Third option: create a webcomic about writer's block to delay a deadline :^)

Deadlines are hell of a motivator though. I remember banging out 7500~ or so words on a project last summer because the project review was two days later and I wasn't even 1/3 of the way through at the end of two months.

It ended up being a major success, but ever since then I only ever write seriously when I can no longer escape the deadline :P

What if my muse IS that shambling abomination from the multi-planar spaces between angles? Lovecraftian horrors make excellent guides, what's that Yog-Sothoth? Enact an ancient rite that will open the gateway to higher and lower planes? Well... If you think it will help me write my next book!

Deathfish15:

Oh, and there's the whole Gawker with Hogan's sex tape. What, too easy to make tabloid jokes?

Gawker trying to be a real news site is itself a joke.

IceForce:
Yeah but, if given the choice, I'm sure most everyone would just simply choose to bang their manic pixie dream girl.

I thought Erin WAS the MPDG.

NPC009:
Most creative people I know take either a long shower or a big dump. Having a balanced diet kind of locks you out of the second option, though.

Fortunately, creative people are too free-spirited to be pinned to structure -or- fibre!

...sorry, I'm a writer who hangs with mostly artistic people. Most of my friends couldn't plan their way out of a paper bag. But honestly, that's half the fun.

The deadline was depicted entirely too friendly. Its much more vicious in reality.

I have a baaad habit of undermining deadlines, especially in a job position that you can't just express yourself freely in - same goes for writing presentations.

I have been in a general writing block for some time. Likely related to seasonal depression or "winter blues", but I do agree with Grey that being unable to find the creative means to...be creative can be the challenge itself. Challenge is always good.

Something Amyss:
...sorry, I'm a writer who hangs with mostly artistic people. Most of my friends couldn't plan their way out of a paper bag. But honestly, that's half the fun.

Fire works 9 out of 10 times if you happen to find yourself in one of these wretched paper bags. The 1 - 10 times are usually when it's wet. In which case you're screwed. Unless...you have a foolproof plan?

Xsjadoblayde:

Fire works 9 out of 10 times if you happen to find yourself in one of these wretched paper bags. The 1 - 10 times are usually when it's wet. In which case you're screwed. Unless...you have a foolproof plan?

If I might quote one of the greatest philosophers of our times, "once upon a time the plan was foolproof, but time proves only fools come to your door."

I have a foolproof plan, but I'm sure fate will provide me with the fool to disprove that. >.>

Something Amyss:

NPC009:

Fortunately, creative people are too free-spirited to be pinned to structure -or- fibre!

True. Pizza for breakfast and pancakes for dinner make bowel movements a weekly event.

NPC009:

True. Pizza for breakfast and pancakes for dinner make bowel movements a weekly event.

How did you know what I...I mean, yeah, that would be a pretty awful diet. >.>

Mikeybb:
I owe my entire education to the latter motivation pictured.

The only thing not pictured is how difficult it can be to run after thirty plus hours without sleep.

If I hadn't had a concept of 'the last minute', there's a good chance most of my schoolwork would have never been done.

I stopped calling it "Writer's Block" because I can't use that metaphorical block to build up my writing plateau!

Other than that, I could only hate the deadline if my selections beforehand had no room for even fun with said selections...

Something Amyss:
If I might quote one of the greatest philosophers of our times, "once upon a time the plan was foolproof, but time proves only fools come to your door."

I have a foolproof plan, but I'm sure fate will provide me with the fool to disprove that. >.>

Ahh, so the phrase must undergo an evolution to account for this. A probability-proof plan? Ooh, trying saying that particular phrase 10 times quickly with anaesthetic in the lips...or booze, prayer... whatever works best.

You guys forgot option three, the breakdown.

That's when the Block falls over and squashes you flat.

what about the option where you use the writers "block" to create a dick in minecraft

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here