Good Bad Flicks: Exploring Soldier

Exploring Soldier

Exploring the making of Soldier.

Watch Video

Love this movie.

My favorite part is that they hired 4ft. actors to make the trucks look bigger.

I really liked how between the soldier's outbursts of aggression, it seemed like there was a profound expression of sadness in their eyes. Especially in the fight between Todd and Cain; one man was doing as he was told, the other was doing what he had to. Neither seemed to hold genuine resentment for the other. It wasn't really until he was dealing with the colonel that his glare hardened with hatred.

I would have bet on Zombies in Space. It's the only place the Resident Evil movies can go.

JCAll:
I would have bet on Zombies in Space. It's the only place the Resident Evil movies can go.

http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Joint_Nations_Space_Research_Station

It's been done in tie-in media. Please don't give Anderson any ideas. :(

Russel is a real trooper. he didn't need to put this much effort into it, or fight the studio to keep character moments for a guy that barely speaks. it worked out great in my opinion.

Anderson makes very entertaining movies, I don't care how "crap" they are or how hard they bombed. at least they don't feel like cynical pay checks. glad he struck gold with Resident Evil in the end. He gets the mix of CGI and practical effect right most of the time and that is a great asset in "genre" movies. Event Horizon and Soldier still look great today.

Thanks for this amazing episode, worth the wait :)

Rawbeard:
Russel is a real trooper. he didn't need to put this much effort into it, or fight the studio to keep character moments for a guy that barely speaks. it worked out great in my opinion.

Anderson makes very entertaining movies, I don't care how "crap" they are or how hard they bombed. at least they don't feel like cynical pay checks. glad he struck gold with Resident Evil in the end. He gets the mix of CGI and practical effect right most of the time and that is a great asset in "genre" movies. Event Horizon and Soldier still look great today.

That's pretty much what the RE movies have become. They're cynical pay checks that push characters from the games to the sidelines to an overpowered fan-fic character played by the director's not that hot wife. If you like them, more power too you, but I can't stand the movies. I'll give where credit is due, Mortal Kombat, Event Horizon, and Soldiers are Anderson's best movies ever made.

CoCage:

Rawbeard:

That's pretty much what the RE movies have become. They're cynical pay checks that push characters from the games to the sidelines to an overpowered fan-fic character played by the director's not that hot wife. If you like them, more power too you, but I can't stand the movies. I'll give where credit is due, Mortal Kombat, Event Horizon, and Soldiers are Anderson's best movies ever made.

I love Soldier. And I really loved Event Horizon and Mortal Kombat. I can only just shake my head and wonder what the hell happened to Anderson after these great movies. I mean, did he fall and have his talent land on his keys or something? And as to where Anderson could go next, I agree he should go to space. And like the Most Interesting Man in the World, he should fucking stay there.

how can it be so poor? the movie is great. wanted to see it for some time again but failed to find it so far. im also glad they kept these scenes in there because it really makes a more powerful impression that these kids get trained to be brainless killing machines.

I ended up watching this movie a few times when I had cable. I thought it to be a perfectly serviceable action movie.

LOVED this movie, and I totally forgot about how they said it took place in the "Blade Runner" universe. Also had no idea it had so many references to other movies.

I can't believe all the stuff the studio wanted to cut out of it. The kid getting shot, and Todd shooting through the hostage when his squadmate hesitated were some of the most memorable parts in the film.

Probably my only gripe was it had a few too many "protagonist looking cool with fire behind him" shots, that I just thought felt a little cheesy. Beyond that, phenomenal movie.

Damn, I kind of want to go watch it again.

I freakin' loved Soldier and Event Horizon. I'd go so far as to say Event Horizon is the most effective space horror film since Alien. As for Soldier, I consider it a staple of any action movie collection.

for Event Horizon I would describe it more like an HP Lovecraft story in space. As far as Soldier goes... it;s by far one of the best action movies of the late 90's, I always wished it would have gotten a sequel to further explore the universe cause it just seemed like such a cool premise and I kept wondering what the rest of society was like, I mean what purpose did these soldiers serve? What sort of problems was humanity facing that they needed cold ruthless killers?

Gorrath:
I freakin' loved Soldier and Event Horizon. I'd go so far as to say Event Horizon is the most effective space horror film since Alien. As for Soldier, I consider it a staple of any action movie collection.

It is indeed an under-appreciated labour of love, forged by a crew that suffered for their art. Russell is tough as leather, fleet as a greyhound and hard as Krupp steel. He looks great, sounds great, and he even blows a guy out a window with an RPG. Everything about this film is metal.

EDIT: Only downside, now I think of it, is that it sounds like I'm describing Triumph Of The Will for tweenies.

JCAll:

Exactly this!

Anyway, Soldier is great; give it a watch! :D

GZGoten:
for Event Horizon I would describe it more like an HP Lovecraft story in space. As far as Soldier goes... it;s by far one of the best action movies of the late 90's, I always wished it would have gotten a sequel to further explore the universe cause it just seemed like such a cool premise and I kept wondering what the rest of society was like, I mean what purpose did these soldiers serve? What sort of problems was humanity facing that they needed cold ruthless killers?

Well, this exists concurrently with Bladerunner, and that's getting a sequel, so... wish granted? Kinda?
OT: Because I needed more reasons why Kurt Russel is awesome.

Funny thing, there was a suggestion awhile back that Prometheus and Blade Runner were in the same universe. By proxy, they must therefore share the same universe with Soldier and Alien, with Soldier also referencing Aliens.

...Ridley Scott cinematic universe anyone?

On the flipside, no idea how Event Horizon or Stargate would fit in. And Cecil did suggest that EH was in the same universe as Pandorum awhile back, so there's that.

Soldier is easily in my top 5 movies. I loved this movie as a kids and I'm glad to hear it holds up pretty well to this day. Real shame it didn't perform well in the box office :(

I prefer the "Fear and duty" quote myself, but to each their own.
I do really like this movie, nice to know now how much effort went into it all.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here