Good Bad Flicks: Exploring Snow White and the Huntsman

Exploring Snow White and the Huntsman

Exploring the making of Snow White and the Huntsman.

Watch Video

the movie sure had its moments and was an interesting view but our twilight known actress still wasnt to convincing enough for me.
the only darker themed version of snow white is still the one with sam neil and miss weaver. thats one i enjoy and had good acting from nearly everyone.

All you need is Kill, which was renamed Edge of Tomorrow

You forgot that it was again changed to Live. Die. Repeat.

Also, how did anyone think Stewart would be a good lead? She didn't have any fans, no Twilight fans where watching those movies because of her. I don't blame her for accepting more money then any job has a right to pay, but why anyone thought she was a good idea for a lead and that she was worth 34 million us beyond me.

I'm surprised that Hollywood can't scrounge up 7 competent actors that happen to also be little people... It just seems like something that wouldn't be that hard to find (at least, not any harder than a number of other niche character actors).

It's a shame the acting in the film was crap and the pacing was frenetic, because the effects were certainly interesting and a great deal of work was clearly put into them.

Zontar:

All you need is Kill, which was renamed Edge of Tomorrow

You forgot that it was again changed to Live. Die. Repeat.

Also, how did anyone think Stewart would be a good lead? She didn't have any fans, no Twilight fans where watching those movies because of her. I don't blame her for accepting more money then any job has a right to pay, but why anyone thought she was a good idea for a lead and that she was worth 34 million us beyond me.

LDR was the tagline. The marketing was all over, they had "Live. Die. Repeat" (the tagline) in big letters while in smaller print was the actual title.

As far as Stewart, from the studio heads point of view, she was the lead in a billion dollar franchise. Most of the folks in charge of the money don't watch these movies, they just look at the various trends. They saw her as a hot commodity and signed her for Snow White, with the deal that her salary would double plus 5% of the back end if she did the sequel. In their minds she was the main draw.

Personally, I think there could have been a stronger female lead in there (perhaps Saoirse Ronan?) but I didn't think she detracted from the film any. The only part that was iffy was her speech towards the end. Everything else I enjoyed. I do think she is better in smaller films like Adventureland and American Ultra. She is much more likeable there than as Bella Swan.

CecilT:

As far as Stewart, from the studio heads point of view, she was the lead in a billion dollar franchise. Most of the folks in charge of the money don't watch these movies, they just look at the various trends.

Well no one accused Hollywood executives of being in touch with the market. I think you even made a video about that, or several if we're talking things connected to that subject. I mean the man who cancelled Firefly, ruined X-men 3 and Wolverine Origins as well as holding back Deadpool from being made somehow got hired at Sony after Fox fired him. How did that happen?

Also this is a massive coincidence, but when I first found your stuff on YouTube I marathoned every video you had at the time (because I'm that type of guy) and literally minutes after I finished the last one and pressed the subscribe button the announcement was made you where coming here. Talk about coincidences.

So, Snow White and the Huntsman is a good bad flick. Huh.

All I can say is that The Huntsman: Winter's War was a bad bad flick. :(

CecilT:
Personally, I think there could have been a stronger female lead in there (perhaps Saoirse Ronan?) but I didn't think she detracted from the film any. The only part that was iffy was her speech towards the end. Everything else I enjoyed. I do think she is better in smaller films like Adventureland and American Ultra. She is much more likeable there than as Bella Swan.

Saoirse would've been great, particularly if they let her keep her own accent - it's a film with a lot of texture in that respect, and an Irish brogue would've been a perfect fit.

I was going to say 'don't forget Stewart in The Runaways', but you included a poster alongside the others in the video.

And I agree; it's a slight film in a lot of ways, but I still really admire and enjoy it. You'd be hard pressed to find many other gritty fairytale films crafted on such a scale and to such detail, with so overt nods to Guillermo del Toro's aesthetic, as well as some scenes which seem to play out like homages to Princess Mononoke. And with a kind of Jeanne d'Arc female protagonist, to boot.

I'd have preferred someone like Saorsie in the lead, but I'm fine with Kristen (the Twilight films suck[1], but I don't feel she did). I also--- er, spoilers, I guess? ---rather like how the film resolves without a romantic entanglement.

I'd need to see it again to be sure (it's a film I keep meaning to buy but never get around to doing so. I keep catching most of it as repeats on TV), but I recall the score's pretty good, too, courtesy of James Newton Howard.

[1] The first one's kinda enjoyable, and there's the odd decent scene in some of the others, too.

I appreciated the aesthetic and Charlise Theron was perfect for the evil queen role, but yea, Stewart kinda pulled the film down. She just wasn't believable as a genuine threat to the queen, not in the way that she was being portrayed. The whole lesson to be learned from the tale is about vanity, to not stress too much about looks. In the movie and every version of the tale I've heard, Snow White was supposed to be more beautiful than the queen. But placing Charlise in the role of the queen pretty much rules out 99.9% of actresses to match her in that very specific regard. Maybe Mila Kuniz? Beyond that, it's a solid fantasy flick and I enjoyed it. Having Florence on the soundtrack didn't hurt either. With all the comparisons made between this and Alice in Wonderland I never knew they had some of the same creators behind them. huh.

When the mirror said that Snow White (Kristen Stewart) was prettier than the Queen Raven (Charlize Theron) I figured what kind of freaking movie I was watching. The movie itself is pretty average, but some things were just non-sense: the death of that eighth dwarf, the love triangle of the Huntsman, Snow White and that guy I won't bother trying to remember his name, the transition from damsel in distess to sudden "badass" (this one bothered me the most, she got the motivation to fight the queen, but she has no skill or strenght, the Huntsman taught her only one move, yet suddenly she's up front in the army), and the movie going from the queen has some magical powers to fantasy overload where anything can happen (those things that came out of the bird, WHat the Actual F***?). But the Huntsman holds the movie with his backstory and participation.

So yeah, watch it only if you like fantasy flicks, yet don't mind those movies that heavily borrow from Lord of the Rings, and completely skip the sequel/prequel/spin-off/Frozen cash-in.

The visuals are amazing. Theron is terrific.

Stewart is awful. I don't hate her (she was quite good as far back as Zathura) but if I was a peasant hearing the upstart girl try to rouse the people into a dangerous rebellion against the evil queen- I would have gone back inside after that speech. Just. Fucking. Awful.

Maybe Queen Theron was SO crazy (the mirror not being magic at all) that convinced herself of being less beautiful than Kristen...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here