Dark Souls: The Plot

Dark Souls 3 made me reconsider what the "good ending" really was in the original game. Relinking the fire over and over again is just dumb. It's time for humans and darkness to have their turn.

It's just a prank, bro!

I always interpreted the linking of the flame to be the necessary sacrifice to keep the fantasy world from sliding into total chaos, with the end result being something like what happens to the Oolacile Township or New Londo, and the effects already being apparent in the bleak, hollow populated ruins of wherever the current game is taking place. It's just a shame we never get to see the worlds during that golden age the linking of the fires ushers in.

If Dark Souls were a more modern setting then ive no doubt thats exactly what would happen.

Yep, that's the Dark Souls ending alright! I wonder if it will have more views than "ANCIENT LORD RELIGHTING A FLAME EPIC FAIL"

This is one of the things I truly loved about the plot of DS1 - the whole prophecy is just misdirection by the greater powers of the world to find someone who'd prolong the Age of Fire. The "Chosen Undead" isn't predestined, he's just the first guy strong enough to make it. You aren't chosen, you aren't fulfilling some mystical prophecy, you're just falling for the line fed to you by Frampt.

The one fun part about the whole thing is that Gwyndolyn and the rest of the "Gods" get eaten by Aldrich. Serves them right, the dipshits...

I'd love to this is meant to be a cutting criticism

Might want to settle on an sentence opener there.

Y'know, I have a close friend who never shuts up about Dark Souls. Despite every information dump the dude throws at me whenever he gushes about it, the plot barely if ever gets any mention from him, so I'm completely willing to believe that this is an unaltered, completely canon representation of the lore.

K12:
Dark Souls 3 made me reconsider what the "good ending" really was in the original game. Relinking the fire over and over again is just dumb. It's time for humans and darkness to have their turn.

If you ever thought that that linking the fire was a good idea, you got played. All those myths and legends about the "Chosen Undead" linking the fire? That was all propaganda. You were never any kind of mythic hero or Chosen One; you were just the first chump to come along with a soul strong enough to keep the flame going, provided you could be tricked into turning yourself into kindling. Why do you think

See, this is why I LOVE Dark Soul's Story; it doesn't just present things at face value and expect you to believe them; it gives you the story you're MEANT to know, but shows the cracks in it as well. The same can be said of real life; history is the property of the current generation, not those who lived it, and so much of it gets glossed over or downright erased in order to press an agenda.

K12:

Is the Age of Dark all that better an alternative though? I've travelled through time itself in the latter two Souls games, and seen the darkness: it's not exactly what I'd call a cheery and prosperous replacement for the Flame. And then there's all this business about humans being inherently evil, or having a greater potential for evil, or be intrinsically linked to evil and doomed to inevitably become mindless rotting zombies....

OT

Something tells me epic Flame pranks will never be as popular as Gwynevere webcam videos.

Dragonlayer:

K12:

Is the Age of Dark all that better an alternative though? I've travelled through time itself in the latter two Souls games, and seen the darkness: it's not exactly what I'd call a cheery and prosperous replacement for the Flame. And then there's all this business about humans being inherently evil, or having a greater potential for evil, or be intrinsically linked to evil and doomed to inevitably become mindless rotting zombies....

OT

Something tells me epic Flame pranks will never be as popular as Gwynevere webcam videos.

But those will most likely be a Gwyndolin catfish.

Solkard:

Dragonlayer:

K12:

OT

But those will most likely be a Gwyndolin catfish.

I have no idea what that means.

Do I event want to know?

It's the limbs in the last panel... they crack me right the fuck up!!!
Nicely done! :D

Yup... pretty much... best summary of the darksouls 1 story i have seen up to date.

The glee on their faces!

Why does it look like the little, spikey-headed guy is sitting in that lady's cleavage in the 3rd panel?
But it's the last panel that slays me! The flailing of his limbs is very Jim Carrey-esque.

Dragonlayer:

K12:

Possibly not but it does seem like an inevitability the avoidance of which has had pretty shit outcomes for everyone involved.

Gwyn seems to think humans are inherently evil but what if they are redeemable and relinking the fire is making that redemption harder and harder but unleashing the undead curse and the weight shit that lords of cinder in DS3 got up to.

You can keep prolonging the inevitable or walk confidentally into the future prepared to do what it takes to make it work out... you might still fail and fuck everything up but worst case scenario you end up just as fucked as you will eventually get anyway.

Finally someone who doesn't mistake plot with lore

Darth_Payn:
Why does it look like the little, spikey-headed guy is sitting in that lady's cleavage in the 3rd panel?
But it's the last panel that slays me! The flailing of his limbs is very Jim Carrey-esque.

The short answer would be she is an illusion created by that guy to keep the player character moving on the right path. Kind of like the giant head in the Wizard of Oz but with huge cleavage.

The weird thing about Dark souls plot is that almost your entire understanding of it relies upon you finding one character that you probably don't even know exists unless you use a guide. It's such a baffling move that I honestly don't understand how anybody could think that was good idea.

Woops. Double post.

Dark Souls has a plot? I thought they just gave a 13 year old emo a pad of paper to write on and said go nuts.

chocolate pickles:
Dark Souls has a plot? I thought they just gave a 13 year old emo a pad of paper to write on and said go nuts.

You don't understand! it is subtle!

That aside, I love everything about Dark Souls, except DS 2. I forgot all about that game like I forgot everything about... about... wha

Silk_Sk:

I'd love to this is meant to be a cutting criticism

Might want to settle on an sentence opener there.

Haha, syntax humor, I dig it. Can we still say "dig it" in 2016?

Well, this is now your peak, good luck making anything better ever in your life Grey.
Although Gwynivere shouldn't be there, as the tits are a lie, and she is in fact just an illusion with the real version of her having left forever ago.

If Gwyndolin had just been up front with me and said something along the lines of "The world's going down the drain, could you please sacrifice yourself so the world can keep functioning?" I would have totally gone along with it.
I still went along with it, but I murdered Gwyndolin along the way for his/her deception.

It may be the overall focus of Dark Souls from the perceptive of the player, but that is because the setting is with a very rich history and the events of the game are rolling along the momentum of actions that set it all in motion before the character you play as even existed. It is very much the situation of a being with divine power going up to every two bit schmuck that wants more in life and going "you are the chosen one" as the long con, figuring one of them has to succeed. Hence the cursed undead- hence the undead asylum.

The largest forces the player is exposed to as "major players" in the plot are those that covet the flame, never want the source of their power to be extinguished and will go to any length to keep it aflame, and those that are actively trying to use the power of raw darkness to undo the unnatural rekindling of the flame.

From my own perspective, it is the rekindling of the flame that is the true bad ending. Not just because of who supposedly got the last, smallest spark to give unto all of humanity and the hints relating to that, but also that those that seek to rekindle the flame are those that cling to the past where they were in power and drowned in luxury while doing to others what the dragons did to them and would burn the entire world- turn it all to ash if only to gain a moment more of their former glory. Those that seek their own flame are madmen seeking to become gods and damn the rest of the world in the process.

It is very much a situation lacking in any moral high ground. Everyone is acting on their own motives and most of those are in their own interests. True charity and selflessness is something lacking from the vast majority of characters that exist within the souls series and this is doubly true of those that proclaim their cause just and righteous.

I would have been so pissed off if I'd gotten that ending...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here