The Angry Birds Movie - Another Garbage Video Game Adaptation

Pages PREV 1 2

Lets say a pig had been the protagonist and helped the birds get the eggs back, with the overwhelming majority of pigs still being evil. What would have been different? Pigs are still mostly evil, violence is still the solution. Just this time pigs are clearly white people, so that makes it okay?

I have some problems seeing the difference, just as I have a problem with people being able to declare European colonization and cultural replacement as bad while declaring nearly the same thing happening in Germany as good (that is not some conspiracy theory, at current rates the entire young adult age bracket will become majority Muslim in a few years, which will eventually work it's way throughout the entire age pyramid obviously).

PS. one of the bumper stickers in the movie was a pig version of the Coexist bumper stickers ... it definitely is a thinly veiled parable for what is happening in Europe. Its message is desperately needed. Either the Geneva convention on refugees gets a massive work over soon or western Europe will become Islamic within little more than a single generation (and probably suffer economic collapse from white flight and/or civil wars).

All I know is: I would never see this movie for myself (being an adult, and all that) and got lucky, as my kid's grandmother took him to see it. He loved it (he's almost 5). So....win for everyone! (except grandma)

Pinky's Brain:
Lets say a pig had been the protagonist and helped the birds get the eggs back, with the overwhelming majority of pigs still being evil. What would have been different? Pigs are still mostly evil, violence is still the solution. Just this time pigs are clearly white people, so that makes it okay?

I have some problems seeing the difference, just as I have a problem with people being able to declare European colonization and cultural replacement as bad while declaring nearly the same thing happening in Germany as good (that is not some conspiracy theory, at current rates the entire young adult age bracket will become majority Muslim in a few years, which will eventually work it's way throughout the entire age pyramid obviously).

PS. one of the bumper stickers in the movie was a pig version of the Coexist bumper stickers ... it definitely is a thinly veiled parable for what is happening in Europe. Its message is desperately needed. Either the Geneva convention on refugees gets a massive work over soon or western Europe will become Islamic within little more than a single generation (and probably suffer economic collapse from white flight and/or civil wars).

Europe is at an interesting crossroads, I agree there. However, few problems with this analogy:

-I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that Muslims pouring into Europe is part of an intentional conspiracy. In contrast, the pigs integrating themselves into the birds' society is entirely pre-meditated, a ruse that comes from the top. The pigs aren't refuges, and never even present themselves as refuges (they pose as explorers).

-I actually see the birds as being more analogous to the United States, but that's down to interpretation.

-Back to point 1, the birds destroy the pigs' entire civilization by the end of the movie, said civilization being presented as uniformly violent (e.g. obsessed with explosives), decadent (monarchy, the excesses that Chuck briefly flies through), and morally repugnant (that they intend to feast on the eggs of creatures which, in this setting, are sapient beings).

If the Europe analogy is correct, then the film is basically saying that all Muslims/people of the Middle-east are barbaric, that any Muslim entering Europe is part of a conspiracy, and that it is morally justified to wipe them and their civilization out without a second thought. I'm not saying that a film with an anti-imigration message is bad. But it doesn't help that even without those themes, the film is still lacklustre, and with them, it presents a distorted view of what's really going on in the world in regards to refugee situations, and the cultures those people come from.

I've also seen people making the refugee-crisis-analogy. Haven't seen the movie myself, I don't know how much of it is made-up.

I admit that I found the trailer more funny than the first Ghostbusters 2016 trailer. :(

Hawki:
-I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that Muslims pouring into Europe is part of an intentional conspiracy. In contrast, the pigs integrating themselves into the birds' society is entirely pre-meditated, a ruse that comes from the top. The pigs aren't refuges, and never even present themselves as refuges (they pose as explorers).

They are slightly constrained, they have two sides to work with and the good guys have to bomb the bad guys castles.

The pigs are also creating a building with the sign "Hamnest_ International" ... yet clearly Muslims don't control Amnesty international.

-I actually see the birds as being more analogous to the United States, but that's down to interpretation.

I think the pissing Eagle has that one on lock down.

None of this should be a surprise. What should be a surprise is how easily the movie could have been good. You've got a technologically advanced race coming to an island nation that's eventually led (and therefore represented) by a red guy? Gee, I wonder why that sounds familiar. The filmmakers have no interest in exploring this parallel, however. Instead, we just have evil pigs and good birds and eggs and a slingshot. Because why try to elevate your source material when you can just put in the bare minimum and get away with it?

note: emphasis mine

also note: Green is considered the color of islam; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_in_Islam

Of course none of this imagery could have been deliberate or anything. After all the filmmakers have no interest in exploring relevant political parallels, because why try to elevate your source material when you can instead just put in the bare minimum and get away with it?

Velocir_X:
snip

Yeah, no. That's not how political parallels in movies work. The amount of digging needed to come up with this stuff is hilarious and unreasonable. If you dug that hard into older movies, you'd come up with similar things.

The Greece picture doesn't even look remotely similar.

Arranging three pre-existing characters into a group that vaguely vaguely vaguely vaguely vaguely resembles a three-color flag is somehow biting social commentary? Pull the other one, it's got bells on it.

It's a movie about invasion, naivety, exploitation by foreigners and war. The real world Amnesty international and Coexist movement are tied to the enemy by easter eggs.

These are the simple facts.

As somebody who actually enjoyed the movie on the grounds that I liked for the first time in years seeing a cartoon that wasn't trying to pull at my heartstrings at some point, all I can say to the haters is that it made a shit-tonne of money, is going to be licensed by your local equivalent to UTV or BBC to play every Easter week for the next 10 years....and is the Animal Farm of our generation....

Overall 8/10 needed more Matilda.

EDIT: Also made my own thread like last week because I didn't see this lol: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.939222-Anybody-watch-the-Angry-Birds-movie

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.