Zero Punctuation: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.

Watch Video

Um, Crash Bandicoot did outlive the PS1 Yahtzee.

What i never got about Nathan Drake was why people compared him to indiana jones when the two would probably be eachothers mirror universe version. Indiana Jones had devotion, sincerity, principles and was willing to leave fortune and glory behind in order to save the innocent. He was first and foremost an archeologist who wanted to uncover the mysteries of the past for all to see because it is something he genuinely loves himself. Nathan Drake is a cynical grave robber who only cares about the shiny stuff he can sell on the black market to get filthy rich while casually destroying the ruins of lost civilisations. His enemies are no less justified in what they are doing. The equivalent would be if star wars as about Emperor Palpatine fought Plamperor Empatine with the exact same motivations, weapons and third reich implications

Crash Bandicoot did out outlive the playstation one, it's got several games on playstation 2 doesn't it?

I could see there being another Uncharted games focusing on Nathan's daughter as an adult if she decides to follow in his footsteps, course then the game would inevitably get compared to Tomb Raider even more then it already is.

God damn it, now I want another completely limerick episode!

darkrage6:

Politrukk:
Crash Bandicoot did out outlive the playstation one, it's got several games on playstation 2 doesn't it?

I think he might be referring to Naughty Dog's involvement with the franchise. After Crash Team Racing, they lost the rights to the series and Universal Studio passed on the rights to other developers, but the games weren't very good or as good as they used to be, except Twinsanity, that was probably the last good Crash game, before the series went off the rails

I do find it funny how we have this current trend of "character-driven, narrative-focused gaming" but the people pushing it have forgotten that those kinds of games are nothing new and that you need your characters and narrative to be INTERESTING. Drake was never an interesting character, instead just coming off as a smug, self-congratulatory douchebag two steps away from smooching his biceps. And that's before they spent the last three games playing up his past which of course is completely pedestrian. It really goes to show how clumsy current game writers are.

I thought Naughty Dog lost the rights to Crash? How did they get away with putting him in the game?

Kitsune Hunter:

darkrage6:

Politrukk:

I think he might be referring to Naughty Dog's involvement with the franchise. After Crash Team Racing, they lost the rights to the series and Universal Studio passed on the rights to other developers, but the games weren't very good or as good as they used to be, except Twinsanity, that was probably the last good Crash game, before the series went off the rails

that's fair enough, I mean Crash team racing was brilliant, what they did to it after that was horrid.

"All they do is quip and talk into their shoes!"

Not sure what the target demographic is for Uncharted 4, but if it's the white-collar desk-job professional or managerial demographic (or anyone who's in college specifically to get that type of job), then Uncharted 4 is just making its audience comfortable and giving them something they can relate to.

Is the honeymoon phase already over? Are the masses gonna come onto this page and say "Yeah! Yahtzee's right! That game is sooo over-rated and Nathan Drake blargle blargle blah!"

I mean, okay, go for it. Good for you. I'mma keep enjoying the hell out of it though

Meh, for all Yahtzee wants to rag on it, I had way more fun getting to level cap in The Division -- as broken and lacking in end-game as it is -- than I did playing the first three Uncharted games combined.

Never have understood why people rave about them.

Different strokes, I suppose.

Huh, normally it takes longer than this for him to review a game...

darkrage6:
I could see there being another Uncharted games focusing on Nathan's daughter as an adult if she decides to follow in his footsteps, course then the game would inevitably get compared to Tomb Raider even more then it already is.

Or worse... Nathan's daughter is actually Lara Croft! She changed her name to distance herself from her father in order to stop being compared to him!

OT: A Crash Bandicoot cameo? Why didn't Angry Joe mention that in his review??

Other than that, I bet Drake would have loved to play The Last of Us...

Kitsune Hunter:

darkrage6:

Politrukk:

I thought Mind over Mutant and Crash of the Titans were decent games. I liked Twinsanity but I absolutely despised it's irritating soundtrack(sorry, not a fan of Acapella at all).

Aiddon:
I do find it funny how we have this current trend of "character-driven, narrative-focused gaming" but the people pushing it have forgotten that those kinds of games are nothing new and that you need your characters and narrative to be INTERESTING. Drake was never an interesting character, instead just coming off as a smug, self-congratulatory douchebag two steps away from smooching his biceps. And that's before they spent the last three games playing up his past which of course is completely pedestrian. It really goes to show how clumsy current game writers are.

Well that's just your opinion though, and in mine Nathan is an interesting character, he never came across as a "douchebag" to me at all, and I for one appreciated this game's focus on his personal life. So no I don't think current game writers are "clumsy" in the least.

Let's hold off on how Nathan Drake comes off as a character until the Uncharted film is released next year. Sometimes the best way to resolve unending topics such as these is to ask for a third party's opinion.

Also, there are already talks about the possibility of Uncharted 5:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/game/uncharted-5-development-uk-release-date-platform-rumours-3638534/

This is exactly what I was expecting from Yahtzee. I actually avoided the first two Uncharted games because he really didn't like Nathan and made him sound terrible in his videos. Finally picked up the first one when it was super cheap, and I ended up enjoying it enough that I bought the other two.

While I don't drool over the franchise by any means, and I can see why people find Nathan smug and annoying, I enjoy the games and I like him. I didn't think 4 was going to change Yahtzee's mind in the slightest because it really is just more of the same, but I was curious to see if he was going to like the part where you're just playing regular Nate diving for salvage at the beginning--and sure enough, he did.

Johnny Novgorod:
I thought Naughty Dog lost the rights to Crash? How did they get away with putting him in the game?

I assume Sony paid Activision. I wonder how much they were willing to fork over just for a easter egg.

Kitsune Hunter:

darkrage6:

Politrukk:

Can confirm that, though "Wrath of Cortex" wasn't too bad, even if it didn't do anything outside of be Crash 3 with better graphics.
Hell, they even lampshade it in Twinsanity when Cortex is talking about playing his minions:

"The Check Bounced?! Are you sure?...Well, the last few years have kinda been slow. "Wrath of Cortex" didn't do as well as we hoped..."

While the hub world designs were a little janky (Namely how it seems impossible to access the first snowboarding level once you reach a certain part of the game), I really did enjoy it and it's sense of humor and callbacks, Young!Me was fucking hype as shit about that Spyro cameo towards the end!

As for the Acapella, I can see why you mightn't like it, but the music for the snowboarding level of the final act is freaking amazing in my opinion.
I only found out years later that the music in that game was all Acapella only, blew my mind :o

This made me think that I'd really like a point and click adventure game with a well-known badass protagonist adapting to mundane everyday life.

Maybe a retired Lara Croft in her late 40s has to buy christmas presents for her nieces and nephews and then puts up with her annoying extended family on christmas day.

I hope the Telltale's Batman adventure game has an entire episode where you play as only Bruce Wayne.

Casual Shinji:

Johnny Novgorod:

I assume Sony paid Activision. I wonder how much they were willing to fork over just for a easter egg.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what they did.
At first, I really did think they just copied from the digital release on PSN, but they actually did do custom animations and such.
*Sigh* I'd love to see a new Naughty Dog made Crash game tho...

No mention of the Guybrush Threepwood cameo? No?

Diablo1099:

Hmmm, they'd have to either bring him into a full 3D environment, or go strictly 2D. The weird on rails 3D isn't going to fly anymore.

Honestly, I'd be happy if they left the overgrown building aesthetic alone for a bit and focused on something sci-fi or fantasy like. Maybe a space adventure.

I wonder if you can tell in the story the EXACT moment when they fired Amy Hennig.

darkrage6:

Yeah, but Naughty Dog wasn't involved by that point.

Still disappointed that Naughty have foregone their tradition of the 4th game in a series being a kart racer.

Casual Shinji:

Diablo1099:

Hmmm, they'd have to either bring him into a full 3D environment, or go strictly 2D. The weird on rails 3D isn't going to fly anymore.

Honestly, I'd be happy if they left the overgrown building aesthetic alone for a bit and focused on something sci-fi or fantasy like. Maybe a space adventure.

Twinsanity was actually pretty good in that regard, they had a bit of both in it and, while you can kinda see where parts of the games were rushed (Another thing they lampshade on), it really does hold up well in my opinion.

That and, even in the first game, they had a lot of levels without the overgrown building aesthetic, something that only improved as the series went on.
The Future levels in Crash 3 were my favorite <3

Yahtzee, not everybody talks exactly as openly as you would like to believe. Especially not like a Shakespearian character. In fact, if you were to take closer note of their subtler facial expressions, you would see that they convey emotions to each other without needing words, which is possible between couples who know and are comfortable enough with each other, i should know, being part of one. This is a technique great actors use to convey to the audience without requiring a condescending or state-the-obvious script. Like an emotion based show-don't-tell. Is it social anxiety related that you do not read faces too well? I can understand that.

It says something about Uncharted 4 itself that I'd rather hear more about Crash Bandicoot. I remember playing one of his games on the PS2, and still angry they didn't program him to grab ledges, which Mario's been doing since the N64 days.

darkrage6:

Kitsune Hunter:

darkrage6:

Politrukk:

I thought Mind over Mutant and Crash of the Titans were decent games. I liked Twinsanity but I absolutely despised it's irritating soundtrack(sorry, not a fan of Acapella at all).

I lost track, how long has the Crash Bandicoot series been going on since the last one? When was the last one, and on which system?

The Artificially Prolonged:
Still disappointed that Naughty have foregone their tradition of the 4th game in a series being a kart racer.

Hmmm, there are certainly enough different types of vehicles in an Uncharted game with which they could have done so.

I wanna play it anyway.

Fun that Yahtzee caught the fact that in Uncharted 3, Nathan appears to have forgotten everyone he has ever known before as a young child.

Diablo1099:

Casual Shinji:

Twinsanity was actually pretty good in that regard, they had a bit of both in it and, while you can kinda see where parts of the games were rushed (Another thing they lampshade on), it really does hold up well in my opinion.

That and, even in the first game, they had a lot of levels without the overgrown building aesthetic, something that only improved as the series went on.
The Future levels in Crash 3 were my favorite <3

I was actually refering to Naughty Dog's last three games (Uncharted 3, The Last of Us, Uncharted 4) where they've been pushing these visuals very heavily. And it looks fantastic, but I've kind of had my fill of plants growing on architechture.

Casual Shinji:
I was actually refering to Naughty Dog's last three games (Uncharted 3, The Last of Us, Uncharted 4) where they've been pushing these visuals very heavily. And it looks fantastic, but I've kind of had my fill of plants growing on architechture.

Oh, Apologies then.
Never actually played those games, closest I did was watching a Speed-Run of the first game.
Hell, only interested in this one because my man Crash is in it :P

K12:
This made me think that I'd really like a point and click adventure game with a well-known badass protagonist adapting to mundane everyday life.

What Heavy Rain should have been.

Maybe a retired Lara Croft in her late 40s has to buy christmas presents for her nieces and nephews and then puts up with her annoying extended family on christmas day.

I like to think Octodad is some kind of aquatic superhero, retired from saving-the-world business, trying to adapt to earthian life all for a promise to his wife only he remembers.

I hope the Telltale's Batman adventure game has an entire episode where you play as only Bruce Wayne.

Might be funnier playing as Harley trying to please Mr J, or that ugly fat cop guy who despises batman for no real reason.

Gorfias:
Fun that Yahtzee caught the fact that in Uncharted 3, Nathan appears to have forgotten everyone he has ever known before as a young child.

I think I prefer the crowbared brother over the implication that Sully basically raised him to be a murdering thief. They could've dropped the whole 'mother' subplot though. As a matter of fact, I think it would've benefited the story and Nate's character if he and Sam weren't blood related and were just two kids from an orphanage that became as close as brothers. I always kinda liked the idea that Nate made up his name and his heritage, because he's actually just a nobody from the streets. The subplot with his mother being a "brilliant researcher", and that this "gift" is in his blood turns it into another generic hero's origin.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here