X-Men - Apocalypse - It's the End of the World as We Know It

Pages PREV 1 2

It is a shame that this movie isn't good I mean I always thought that Singer could do no wrong with Xmen as long as he was the director. I thought Days of Future Past was one of the best superhero films I have ever seen and it made up from the abysmal Last Stand. I guess he just wasn't able to replicate its greatness. I think the Xmen movies really shine when they avoid the tired old Superhero nonsense of someone is evil and he is trying to take over/destroy the world.

Frankly the X-Men mythos was always going to be a struggle to represent in a good way on the big screen. So much of what makes the X-Men who they are, relies on the society that hates and fears them. Top that off with absolutely crazy fucking villains and you will be hard pressed to tell a cohesive story in 2 hours. Hell the main X-men cannon is so fucked so a billion alternate versions of timelines that even Marvel had to scream, "FUCK IT ALL" and literally delete 90% of mutants off the face of cannon.

That being said, I think there is a lot of good things about X-Men Apocalypse. While it might not be the best movie in the Marvel universe, it technically isn't part of that universe because it is still owned by the wrong studio, but it isn't a bad movie. One thing I have learned is that while these are technically sequels, they are much better enjoyed if you take them as their own entities. If you still Apocalypse in with all the other X-men films, then the movie doesn't quite stand up to Day of Future Past, although I would certainly rate it higher than First Class and ANY of the 1st era trilogy.

Yet if you approach the movie on it's own, I found it a lot of fun. I was cheering and fist bumping my friends in the theater everytime something badass happened, and it happened a lot, especially for all the filler the movie technically has. But frankly, I've never openly Whooped or shivered in excitement in any other X-man movie than I did for Apocalypse. The fight scene in Xavior's head, the release of the Jean, Weapon X, Apocalypse as a whole, and everything Psylocke did, all of it had me jittering with fun buckets. FUN buckets, not Cum buckets you dirty bastards!

Are there problems? Of fucking course, it's made by FOX who has a strangle--hold on this IP like nobodies fucking business and they dare not let anyone actually make a proper X-Men movie.

Apocalypse does fairly little in the film, the filler was fine but a little too long, not enough build up with Jean Grey's ultimate power which could have used some of that filler time, the battle with the four horsemen is fairly dull and short, Psylocke isn't in it enough, there is only one real confrontation in the entire film as a matter of fact. The whole movie is a huge build up to this giant battle, when it could have done with having a few skrimishes between horseman and heroes here and there, if for no other reason than to build up the tension. Instead, like Batman V. Superman, too many plot threads had to weave through the film in order to do everything that they wanted.

Luckily the final battle is awesome, and marks a great cap on the second trilogy. Though we all know there will be more of these fucking things, let's face it. And probably another reboot that further fucks with the damn universe.

Frankly though, the film doesn't deserve it's hate. Let yourself go and you will have a lot of fun with this movie. I know I did.

Okay, so I'm looking at this from the outside and this is coming from someone whose last X-Men movie was Last Class and I've never read the comics. My question is: Have they changed Mystique's character because of Jennifer Lawrence's real life popularity? Again, just looking in from the outside, just from the bits and pieces I've seen they've put Mystique in an upfront and noticeably non-blue leadership role since Last Class that doesn't really follow what I know about her character. It seems like they're trying to bank on Jennifer Lawrence's popularity rather than Mystique as a character.

A lot of critics seem to be suffering from superhero fatigue

What exactly does THAT mean though? The assumption I am making is that reviewers would otherwise have given better scores to the likes of Superman Vs Batman and this more recent X-Men movie if their were not as many superhero movies being released?

Seems more likely that making a poor Superhero movie is now in line for a tougher time were as in the past reviewers would have given them an easier time. I wouldn't say they are suffering from fatigue more likely that the MCU and the rare ones like Deadpool have instead moved the bar.

Zelderahn:
Besides, the WB and FOX owned properties strike me as run by people who aren't very passionate about their projects. Marvels movies do not always hit a homerun, but they always strike me as being respectful of their property and driven to tell an epic narrative.

WB and Fox are reacting to Marvel, rather than acting. Their primary concern is getting movies out in sufficient quantity to match Marvel.

Bad - Main villain makes me think of Ivan Ooze from Power Rangers movie
Worse - Ivan Ooze had better dialog and delivery, and was fun.

Marter:
X-Men - Apocalypse - It's the End of the World as We Know It

X-Men: Apocalypse is the worst X-Men film in a while, and it's not even close.

Read Full Article

Let me guess, a lot of fans didn't feel fine?

Eh, I found it enjoyable enough.

The first half of the movie was dumb though. Really dumb. It jumped around so much I never had a chance to feel invested in anything. Something happened, lets digest it for a bit and oh wait somethings happening over here! This new thing is super exciting and we should totally pay atten-NEW THING!

The individual stories that they were trying to tell were either good or great (I particularly liked the way Magnetos played out, even if I still find that arrow part ridiculous) that I was getting pissed off at never being able to just enjoy the moment before we jumped somewhere else.

The last half though? Loved it. Quicksilvers part was glorious as expected. The scene with Wolverine was both ridiculous in the campiest way and compelling. You could tell that Hugh Jackman was just having fun and that makes me have fun. The final fight scene was brilliantly done with the only minor annoyance being how long it took for Jean to do anything.

My biggest gripe is that I'm kind of tired of Magneto's heel/face turns. We get it, he's conflicted. He's got a good heart, but he keeps being let down by people so he lashes out. Its compelling the first time. Not so much the second. The only reason it even had me invested was they made me care about his motivations this time instead of in First Class/DoFP where he just sort of did a bad thing because he could. If they make a fourth film and he does a heel/face turn again I wont be able to handle it anymore.

LetalisK:
Okay, so I'm looking at this from the outside and this is coming from someone whose last X-Men movie was Last Class and I've never read the comics. My question is: Have they changed Mystique's character because of Jennifer Lawrence's real life popularity? Again, just looking in from the outside, just from the bits and pieces I've seen they've put Mystique in an upfront and noticeably non-blue leadership role since Last Class that doesn't really follow what I know about her character. It seems like they're trying to bank on Jennifer Lawrence's popularity rather than Mystique as a character.

Never really got into the comics, but as a person that has watched every animated adaptation of X-Men and enjoyed them thoroughly, I'd say they have in about the level of importance she usually is. In the original X-Men cartoon she was pretty much a footnote, but in every other one she's fairly front and center. That being said, there's little doubt that they made her character more important than they may have planned due to Jennifer Lawrence's popularity. They'd have been dumb not to do so.

I just got back from watching it, and my reaction at the end was "How are they going to top that!?!" as well as "where the heck did all those negative reviews come from?" Seriously, the actors are great in their roles, the plot makes sense, the characters are fun and relatable, the CGI is so fantastic it's basically unnoticeable... Honestly the only negative thing I can say about the movie is that Apocalypse looks like a reject Power Rangers villain, but he's more than crazy, powerful, and badass enough to make up for it.

I would rate it at least as good as Days of Future Past, which I rate above First Class and any other X-Men movie for that matter, and I liked all of those well enough.

Marter:
younger versions of the characters you have come to know from previous films, because younger, lesser-known actors are cheaper

I'm confused. It's the same actors that have been there since the start of the trilogy. Being younger and cheaper might have been part of the motivation for rebooting it in the first place, but continuing to use the same actors in three films over 6 years is hardly something to criticise.

Laughing Man:

A lot of critics seem to be suffering from superhero fatigue

What exactly does THAT mean though? The assumption I am making is that reviewers would otherwise have given better scores to the likes of Superman Vs Batman and this more recent X-Men movie if their were not as many superhero movies being released?

Seems more likely that making a poor Superhero movie is now in line for a tougher time were as in the past reviewers would have given them an easier time. I wouldn't say they are suffering from fatigue more likely that the MCU and the rare ones like Deadpool have instead moved the bar.

Naw, this is anything but poor. Critics are just fatigue on these types of superhero plots.

Naw, this is anything but poor. Critics are just fatigue on these types of superhero plots.

Then they are shit critics, they should be reviewing the product on it's own merits not on weather or not their is a lot of that product available. If it's good then it should be reviewed as good weather their are 100 movies the same as it or 1 movie the same as it.

Of course the counter argument is if they are tired WHY are they not down rating ALL super hero movies, so far we have had four this year. Civil War and Deadpool both reviewed very well, B VS S and X Men reviewed poorly, it makes no sense.

Laughing Man:

Then they are shit critics, they should be reviewing the product on it's own merits not on weather or not their is a lot of that product available. If it's good then it should be reviewed as good weather their are 100 movies the same as it or 1 movie the same as it.

Of course the counter argument is if they are tired WHY are they not down rating ALL super hero movies, so far we have had four this year. Civil War and Deadpool both reviewed very well, B VS S and X Men reviewed poorly, it makes no sense.

Civil War and Deadpool didn't have end of the world plots. The main criticism of this film is that its yet another superhero movie about a villain trying to destroy the world. I wouldn't say that X-men is reviewed poorly as a whole. According to Rotten Tomatoes the critical consensus is that it is "middling". If it came out like 3 years ago it would have been better received.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.