Play of the Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ah, Bastion players. I never tire of seeing them gloat knowing full well of how a massive nerf is heading their way.

Last play of the game I saw was a junkrat killing two people with his ult, me resurrecting them and them stomping the junkrat. Good times.

Truer stories have never been shown. I could snipe 6 people in a row (a rare occurance if I do say so myself), kill a tank single-handedly with Mei or Lucio, or strafe an entire team with Tracer and I'll still get Kanye'd by some Bastion player who just stood out in the open like a dick and mowed down a couple of people, WTF!

I've been playing this game for a week now, and it seems like it's mostly Bastion, Hanzo, and Reaper players that get the PotG, I should know because I've got a few as them.

It's really weird when it comes to Bastion getting Play of the Day.

Get a quad-kill with an Ult on any character? Too bad, Bastion killed two enemies in turret mode.
Heal/revive a whole bunch of teammates in a clutch moment? Nope, Bastion, this time he killed three enemies.
Do literally the best playing of your entire life, single-handedly bringing your team to victory? This time, Bastion used his Ult. Didn't hit anything with it, but the use somehow dictates he's Play of the Game. Maybe 'cause of the cute beep he does when he goes into tank mode? You'll never know.

I would have preferred Erin as Hanzo, or maybe Roadhog.

Burnouts3s3:
Ah, Bastion players. I never tire of seeing them gloat knowing full well of how a massive nerf is heading their way.

Seriously, I'm not asking for much, but any of the following is all they need in order to make Bastion's turret mode more balanced:

1: Make Bastion more squishy.
2: Cap his look speed while in turret mode so he can't just snap between targets.
3: Reduce his aim window from 360 degrees to 180 so that sneaking around behind him becomes a viable tactic.
4: Make it so he can't reload while in turret form.

Oh, also the fact that he's completely immune to Reinhardt's ult while in turret form is the highest form of bullshit that I've seen in this game. xP

Edit: I'm not entirely innocent if I'm being honest, though, as my best Defense hero isn't much better: Torbjorn.

I'd say this sums things up nicely:

I get the most plays of the game with Junkrat's ult, which can sometimes require a small bit of skill or risk, like hoping it'll survive long enough to get past a Reinhardt shield, or hoping the other team will stay huddled together even after hearing the ult go off.

crimsonspear4D:

I've been playing this game for a week now, and it seems like it's mostly Bastion, Hanzo, and Reaper players that get the PotG, I should know because I've got a few as them.

I got 12 PotG's yesterday as Reaper, 5 of them in a row. And when I don't get PotG it's usually Hanzo or Bastion I see getting them, so yeah, you're not wrong.

Burnouts3s3:

Unlikely considering he saw little play at "pro" (yes I know the scene in beta wasn't that big) level. And since balance is based around that...

RJ 17:

Oh, also the fact that he's completely immune to Reinhardt's ult while in turret form is the highest form of bullshit that I've seen in this game.

He isn't. Reinhardt's ult takes him out of both turret and tank configuration, just like the charge.

Ah Bastion the robot powered by salt.

But seriously people who think Bastion is OP need to learn how counter pick. Bastion is the easiest character to counter pick in the game.

Eric the Orange:
Ah Bastion the robot powered by salt.

But seriously people who think Bastion is OP need to learn how counter pick. Bastion is the easiest character to counter pick in the game.

Regardless of how easy he can be to counter with the right character, the fact remains that the damage he puts out in that turret mode is ridiculous. If he gets in a vantage point up on a ledge or something and catches people unaware, he can mow down an entire team in seconds, I've seen him do it. That kind of damage outside of an Ult is OP.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
Regardless of how easy he can be to counter with the right character, the fact remains that the damage he puts out in that turret mode is ridiculous. If he gets in a vantage point up on a ledge or something and catches people unaware, he can mow down an entire team in seconds, I've seen him do it. That kind of damage outside of an Ult is OP.

It's called balance, something everyone thinks they can do, but they really haven't a clue.

Bastion deals so much damage because he is so easy to counter. Peek shot him with Mcree, Pharah, Widow (particularly effective) , Hanzo, Mei, Zenyatta, Junkrat, hook him with Roadhog, run him over with Reinhardt, catch him unaware with a teleport and shotgun blast to the core with Reaper, reflect with Genji, or use his aggressiveness to charge your Zarya energy and alt-fire him to death.

Literally more than half of the heroes can counter him, so why would you choose him? Because he's got insane damage, and mows down noobs like a lawnmower from Hell. Any team with half a brain will immediately think "Ah, they have a bastion. Someone swap to a counter-pick, and force that damn bot into switching to something useful, or have him die a hundred times." If a character could be countered by literally everyone else, I'd expect him to be God-tier in a few categories to justify its existence.

I had a game I stepped out the door, and watched several members get mowed down by 5 bastions. Immediately turned around, swapped to Widow, and proceeded to turn each one of them into scrap, 2 shots at a time. The match was over in minutes, with one of the easiest victories I've ever had. It's all about the counter picks.

Newage:

RJ 17:

Oh, also the fact that he's completely immune to Reinhardt's ult while in turret form is the highest form of bullshit that I've seen in this game.

He isn't. Reinhardt's ult takes him out of both turret and tank configuration, just like the charge.

Oh I beg to differ, considering how I used my ult on a turret Bastion last night, knocked the Mercy that was standing right beside him on her ass, and yet he continued to unload directly into my face.

Eric the Orange:

Counterpicking for a particular setup is fair advice for this game, where switching characters is relatively seamless. However, I feel like it falls apart a bit when Bastion is the only hero where you hear this advice.

RJ 17:

Newage:

RJ 17:

Oh I beg to differ, considering how I used my ult on a turret Bastion last night, knocked the Mercy that was standing right beside him on her ass, and yet he continued to unload directly into my face.

You can disagree all you want, I played 40 hours of Reinhardt in closed beta, I think I know how his ult works.

Newage:
You can disagree all you want, I played 40 hours of Reinhardt in closed beta, I think I know how his ult works.

And your hours of play mean a grand total of jack and squat to me since I know what I did, I know what I saw, and I know that my ult was utterly ignored by Bastion.

RJ 17:

Newage:

And your hours of play mean a grand total of jack and squat to me since I know what I did, I know what I saw, and I know that my ult was utterly ignored by Bastion.

You honestly didn't say much about what you saw. Earthshatter can get LoSed by terrain elements, like small pillars and lamp posts. It can also be countered by a few things (barriers and Zarya's bubbles are the typical ones). If you had a video, you could probably find a good culprit as to why it didn't work, but I can assure you that Earthshatter works on turret configuration Bastions (fun fact, it also works on Torbjorn turrets).

he can be infuriating. Makes it all the more satisfying when I chain him as roadhog. Though it's still usually him in potg or trobjorn putsing about while his turret kills everyone.

Newage:

RJ 17:

Newage:

You honestly didn't say much about what you saw. Earthshatter can get LoSed by terrain elements, like small pillars and lamp posts. It can also be countered by a few things (barriers and Zarya's bubbles are the typical ones). If you had a video, you could probably find a good culprit as to why it didn't work, but I can assure you that Earthshatter works on turret configuration Bastions (fun fact, it also works on Torbjorn turrets).

Map: Hanamura
Side: Offense
Cap Point: B
Approach: from the left flank entrance (the one with the deck that the Hanzo/Genji animation ends on).
Bastion's Position: Up the small stairs against the left wall directly to the left of the entrance I'm coming through. I know he's there, that's why I'm taking this approach.
Event: Walk into the room and turn immediately to my left and raise shield. Stomp up the stairs to push into melee range. Clear shot with Bastion right in front of me and an enemy Mercy right beside him.
Outcome: I ult, Mercy falls, Bastion keeps firing.
Killcam: Bastion unloading against my shield...then me as my ult fires. Bastion takes one swing from my hammer before he kills me.

If I had the video evidence I would happily provide it, sadly my description will have to suffice.

Edit: And to be clear, I WANT you to be right. Best case scenario I got screwed over by some weird bug/glitch, worst case scenario they changed things since your time as Reinhardt during the beta. I certainly hope it's the former, but I know for a fact I had a clean shot of Bastion within range and he completely ignored my ult.

RJ 17:
Snip

Alright, I got a few of my buddies together and we did some testing with it. Same map spot, same scenario (me on Reinhardt, and my friends on Bastion and Mercy). First I checked if it was a problem with the stairs (someone on reddit said recently that Earthshatter didn't work when used on stairs), by having my buddy face the stairs, while I Earthshattered. It worked, so we continued

I then tried to see if line of sight was a problem. First I tested on the wooden pillar, and when I ulted, The bastion didn't budge (I was looking directly at him, and I could see roughly 50% of his silhouette). However, seeing as my friend couldn't see the point, we supposed that's not where the Bastion was. So we put him on the other side of the stairs, close to the spawn tunnel. As it turns out, even if I could see 2/3 (his chest cannon and his folded left arm) of the Bastion, my Earthshatter would not have any effect on him. he had to be almost fully visible for me to stun him (which did work). This setup (Bastion at the end of that spawn tunnel overlooking the point) is is generally used on that map.

I think what you saw was a Bastion that wasn't quite enough in your line of sight. part of his body must've been hidden behind the wall, and when you Earthshattered, the game must've considered him not in LoS. I didn't record the experience (because I'm stupid like that), so I invite to to recreate it yourself (and it's a good opportunity for you to check that you can stun Bastion with Earthshatter).

Then there are the play of the games that just don't look that impressive. I got a team kill on D.Va's self-destruct which did earn play of the game, even if was just me ejecting immediately hiding behind a wall and standing there. The commendations are where the real rewards are handed out.

People with "mains" have problems with Bastion. The rest of us do just fine.

Ahhh Bastion, the cheerful little robot from WALL-E's dreams of what he would be like as a terminator.

There are reasons why Bastion often gets PotG though, and it's all tied into how PotG works.

Newage:
I think what you saw was a Bastion that wasn't quite enough in your line of sight. part of his body must've been hidden behind the wall, and when you Earthshattered, the game must've considered him not in LoS. I didn't record the experience (because I'm stupid like that), so I invite to to recreate it yourself (and it's a good opportunity for you to check that you can stun Bastion with Earthshatter).

Fair enough, I will say that - considering how fast everything happens in this game - I can't verify with certainty whether or not part of the Bastion was obscured, it just looked like the cracks from my ult went right to where he was and he just kept firing. I do know that I was fully up the stairs before I ulted because I too have heard that Reinhardt's ult has troubles with stairs, so I wanted to make sure that wouldn't be an issue.

I'll take your word for it, though, that what happened to me isn't supposed to happen and hope for a fix for instances such as this. I can't imagine that Blizzard intended to allow ults to "miss" just because someone's toe wasn't in LoS.

suzaku4489:
Literally more than half of the heroes can counter him, so why would you choose him?.

He is easy to counter yes, that is true, but even I when admitting it must admit that Bastion deserves somewhat of a nerf. Not a complicated one though, if you ask me all he needs is more ranged drop-off for his damage. More bullet spread, something like that. Because his range is ridiculous and leads to very frustrating moments. Time and time again did I suddenly die only to see a Bastion getting me in his sights through some tiny peephole where I could never engage him away mowing me down in half a second. That's not fun. It's not super overpowered, but it's not fun to play against either.

The same goes for Torbj?rn's sentry, that thing has ridiculous range too. It's funny how you sometimes get a tip that you can engage his sentry out of its 40 meter range. But there's barely any situation where you can actually engage him at that range because of the map design. There's simply barely any areas with those kind of unimpeded distances. That's not super overpowered, but it is once again pretty frustrating.

Bastion has gone through a lot of changes since the early betas and this is probably the most balanced iteration. Give it another week or so, and people will figure out why higher level players don't pick it as often.

On topic about comic: Wait...Bastion has a mom?! :o

Anyway, he REALLY is a pain in the ass, but he's not "OP". Close, but not there (unless we're talking double Reinhart and a bastion on a payload with a 76 watching the flanks and Mercy keeping them all alive. THAT'S rediculous).

The big thing with Bastion is that with the element of surprise, he's rediculous. Once you know where he is, he can be countered. And if you kill him, keep an eye on him when he comes trundling back from spawn. An enemy team did that to me the last time I tried him. Every time I was just about to make it back, they had someone scouting ahead (Tracer, pharah, etc) who spotted me before I had hooked up with my team, and they put me out of my misery right quick.

That said, they REALLY need to tweak Play of the Game a little further. He gets them way too often.

I get most PoTG as Pharahs now that I'm back in the groove with her, the game seems to love her rocket spamming, usually just killing 3 people in quick succession with vanilla rockets is enough to get me end of game highlight, especially if it's on objective.

Also what is this myth of "if you know where Bastion is, you can counter him". That is just bull of the highest degree, there are chokepoints such as on Vostroya industries where you can damn well know where the bastion is, it doesn't change diddly squat, not least because you also have to deal with said Bastion's team supporting it as it overwatches the only entrances.

Tbh when a really annoying Bastion is on the enemy team, the hero I most want to see on my own team in response is Junkrat, maybe because I instinctively feel non direct explosives the best way to deal with static defences. Failing that, I hope we got a reinhardt player master of the shield.

I complained about Bastion during the beta, but now I'm okay with him (aside from his boring POTGs).

Reinhardt's god damn shield through. "Hello, my flend! I am here to stagnate gameplay for a bit! HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!"

It's fine in close quarters but the fact it's so effective at letting his entire team roll up on you is just infuriating. And then it shows up as a shitty statistic at the end and people commend it like the person playing him actually had to work hard.

I played Zenyatta once and did a trancendence heal that healed 1100+ hp and saved my entire team from any casualties during a combined Zarya+Phara ult.

Then a Widowmaker got play of the game for "Shutdown" (denying an ult) by sloppily bodyshotting another Phara at 20% health who was treathening bascialy no one.

The level of salt was unreal from my side.

Edit: For reference, 1100 hp is like 7 Tracers.

i did manage to get POTG several times with widowmaker, so as d.va and pharah. twice even with tracer. but yes, most of the time is bastion who gets POTG. once i got POTG with pharah right at the beginning of the round, killing 5 people.
but there are really moments i ask my self how this guy got POTG when he hardly did any damage or kills. with one guy he killed only 1 person wile i know that me and others have killed way more or made more damage.

the only person im struggling (yeah, i know) to get it is mercy. but then again i should not be surprised since im mainly healing and the highest amount of resurrection was 3 players so far. but yesterday a player did get POTG with mercy and all he did was resurrecting 2 players only. so this really made me question my self whats going on there. but at least i get the highest votes when i play mercy.

Frankster:

Also what is this myth of "if you know where Bastion is, you can counter him". That is just bull of the highest degree, there are chokepoints such as on Vostroya industries where you can damn well know where the bastion is, it doesn't change diddly squat, not least because you also have to deal with said Bastion's team supporting it as it overwatches the only entrances.

Tbh when a really annoying Bastion is on the enemy team, the hero I most want to see on my own team in response is Junkrat, maybe because I instinctively feel non direct explosives the best way to deal with static defences. Failing that, I hope we got a reinhardt player master of the shield.

To point 1) A Mei ice wall in his face, or a DVa Defense matrix to block his shots while your team charges up into a better position maybe would work. I was a reinhart defending a Bastion up on the little raise platform on Anubis/Desert point A, and I though we were going to lock that down, when a Mei just up and blocked us with an ice wall and that gave the enemy team enough time to rush in and get an early advantage. :s We lost that point pretty hard after that.

2) Yeah, junkrat is a good counterpick for Bastion, assuming you can get him close enough to lob those nades and get hits. Peek-a-boo widowmaker or Genji-deflecting-his-own-shot-at-him or a really sneaky tracer are also good counters.

Bastion as more counters than probably any other hero in the game. If you're willing to switch, you will make his life miserable. I played a game tonight where I had two Bastions because, in their words, "he's OP." The other team saw this and immediately picked two Widowmakers. They killed those Bastions over and over for the whole match because they wouldn't switch. It was like playing a game with only 3 teammates. The problem is that people haven't gotten out of the mindset of sticking with one hero for the whole match. Once everyone realizes that switching is a core part of the game's strategy, Bastion will seem significantly less oppressive.

He's one of the least picked heroes by pros for a reason, and if Blizzard wants their game to have a competitive scene, they'll balance it around that. Certain heroes are always going to be noob stompers.

Headsprouter:
I complained about Bastion during the beta, but now I'm okay with him (aside from his boring POTGs).

Reinhardt's god damn shield through. "Hello, my flend! I am here to stagnate gameplay for a bit! HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!"

It's fine in close quarters but the fact it's so effective at letting his entire team roll up on you is just infuriating. And then it shows up as a shitty statistic at the end and people commend it like the person playing him actually had to work hard.

I usually will run as 76 and flank the Reinhardt. The helix rockets will definitely grab his attention and make him either retreat, drop his shield to attack you, or then his back to your team.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here