Hail Hydra

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Hmmm, yes. Those filthy treasonous colonists are shocked by this? Perhaps now they will see fit to rejoin the empire.

The think pieces are pretty entertaining. Thank god we didn't have blogs in the early 90's. Some of the "events" back then were even worse (somehow).

As an american, I might be tempted to take umbrage at panel two, but panel three pleases me enough to overlook it. Fair play.

Is it really considered a big deal? I mean it's gonna be revealed he wasn't really evil soon enough he was just doing for *insert dumb reason*.

Meiam:
Is it really considered a big deal? I mean it's gonna be revealed he wasn't really evil soon enough he was just doing for *insert dumb reason*.

Well, he was created by Jewish writers before the US entered WW2 as a hero fighting Nazis. That's not just another hero, that's a powerful political statement.

"Widowmaker is balanced."

I've seen nothing overtly "OP" about her, nor have I really heard any whining about her...is there really a sizeable chunk of people that think she needs balancing or are you just getting your ass kicked by Widowmakers a lot, Grey? :3

Personally the sniper I hate the most is Hanzo. Don't know what it is, but any time I get into a game with a Hanzo on the other side, it's like their arrows are magnetically attracted to my face. o.o

OT: this explains the topic I saw in the Off Topic forum about Cap being evil. People really should keep in mind that this isn't going to be permanent, their golden boy isn't going to be evil for very long...that's why it's called "an event."

Hell, remember when DC made the Justice League a bunch of commies workin' for Great Mother Russia? Does Batman still wear red? Not the last time I checked. :P

Renegade-pizza:
Hmmm, yes. Those filthy treasonous colonists are shocked by this? Perhaps now they will see fit to rejoin the empire.

all the european countries should reclaim their colonies. Russia gets alaska, while england, france, the netherlands and Spain can split the rest.

RJ 17:

I've seen nothing overtly "OP" about her, nor have I really heard any whining about her...are there really a sizeable chunk of people that think she needs balancing or are you just getting your ass kicked by Widowmakers a lot, Grey? :3

Must be it, I have no clue either why she'd be OP.

CyanCat47:

Renegade-pizza:

all the european countries should reclaim their colonies. Russia gets alaska, while england, france, the netherlands and Spain can split the rest.

Does the Roman Empire resurrect to reclaim England then (and most everywhere else)?

UberPubert:
As an american, I might be tempted to take umbrage at panel two, but panel three pleases me enough to overlook it. Fair play.

The guy is not fat enough and is missing his guns?

Anyways, Widowmaker is balanced. Why her as an example? Other heroes might be more suited for that flame.

Saelune:

CyanCat47:

Renegade-pizza:

Does the Roman Empire resurrect to reclaim England then (and most everywhere else)?

fair enough, although it was the fact that the empire eventually stretched to locations like england that lead to the fall of the west

Is the french guy holding a baguette or his raw overused erect penis?

How dare you sir! I am offended by that highly accurate representation of my countrymen eh what! (In this country almost all health care is free, at best dental is subsidised and we really resent having to pay money upfront for medical care. I imagine that is where the bad teeth stereotype comes from)

Saelune:

CyanCat47:

Renegade-pizza:

In this eventuality the two empires are joined by a series of political marriages or they play a winner takes all round of rock paper scissors.

"The White Album is overrated"

As overrated as Metallica's Black Album?

Vault Citizen:
How dare you sir! I am offended by that highly accurate representation of my countrymen eh what! (In this country almost all health care is free, at best dental is subsidised and we really resent having to pay money upfront for medical care. I imagine that is where the bad teeth stereotype comes from)

Saelune:

CyanCat47:

In this eventuality the two empires are joined by a series of political marriages or they play a winner takes all round of rock paper scissors.

Most likely, they'll host a gladiatorial game of cricket to decide the winner

Meiam:

People have been making a big deal about it, yes.

Then again, it's sort of surprising given the number of people who think Captain American should be a frothing at the mouth Muslim puncher because MURRICA.

Something Amyss:

Meiam:

People have been making a big deal about it, yes.

Then again, it's sort of surprising given the number of people who think Captain American should be a frothing at the mouth Muslim puncher because MURRICA.

Currently Red is actually playing up Islamaphobia for political gain right now. Also there are spoilerly reasons that everyone has already predicted how this mess will blow over.

But you want to talk about alt-right in modern comics. Frank Miller's "Holy Terror" is freaking bizarre and was originally a Batman series.

edit- also as an American, it's just a matter of the country's parents being jealous of our success. And yet they always shower praise on that pothead, Canada.

MCerberus:

But you want to talk about alt-right in modern comics. Frank Miller's "Holy Terror" is freaking bizarre and was originally a Batman series.

I'm not sure what's alt about it. Frank Miller is batshit, but Holy Terror seems to represent a fairly mainstream view of Muslims.

Thaluikhain:

Well, he was created by Jewish writers before the US entered WW2 as a hero fighting Nazis. That's not just another hero, that's a powerful political statement.

This is true, but it's worth noting also that (as I recently found out) Simon and Kirby were present at Marvel and seemingly had no objections when a previous story also had Cap ostensibly become a Nazi.

In that story, it turned out it wasn't true. It was a pretender masquerading as Cap. But the 'shock!' reveal still happened, in much the same way as it has in the recent Steve Rogers: Captain America issue.

Renegade-pizza:

Over my dead, patriotic body and a bay full of tea! This is what I think of your taxes!

RJ 17:

I've seen nothing overtly "OP" about her, nor have I really heard any whining about her...is there really a sizeable chunk of people that think she needs balancing or are you just getting your ass kicked by Widowmakers a lot, Grey? :3

I can see why some people complain I understand where they are coming from. She has one of the most powerful ults in the game (wallhack has hack in the name for a reason) and it charges incredibly fast. She also makes an entire character useless, Zenyatta, who has no place in a game where there is even an average skilled Widowmaker.
Whenever there is a widowmaker, everyone in the oposing team are forced to play around her. Forcing passiveness and such. Which is more of a bore than anything.

There are a few things that could be tweaked about her in my opinion.
- Lower bodyshot damage: Lifting her skill ceiling by making headshots even more important and making Zenyatta possible to play with her in the game. (no more 150dmg bodyshots)
- Increase the time it takes to gain her ult.
- Increase the time it takes to charge her shots: An alternative to lowering bodyshot dammage, making it harder to basically quick scope a full dammage shot.

These are based on my experiences and discussions I have had with friends about it. I don't demand these changes, but Widowmaker definately is more of a problem than Bastion is.

ALSO, concider that Pharas rockets do 120 on direct hit and are slow moving projectiles.

Something Amyss:

MCerberus:

I'm not sure what's alt about it. Frank Miller is batshit, but Holy Terror seems to represent a fairly mainstream view of Muslims.

Considering even the "build the wall" set pushed back against the muslim ban, "Kill them because they're Muslim and/or brown" is still alt. Unless you think /pol/ took over conservatism.

Which it may have.

Of course Widowmaker is balanced. She'd have a hard time running in those heels if she wasn't.

Also, I was surprised that people are complaining about Greg Land... Mostly because I'm surprised Greg Land is still working. The guy is like the 21st Century's answer to Rob Liefeld.

MCerberus:

Considering even the "build the wall" set pushed back against the muslim ban,

errr...a few of them did...

Seraj33:
Snip.

Can't say that I've ever really had an issue with Widowmaker. Generally speaking the sniper in my squad is good enough to counter-sniper her. That or I'll just go Reaper and hunt down their Widowmaker since Widowmakers are notorious for getting (almost literal) tunnel-vision which makes them very susceptible to being flanked.

......now I wanna play a round where both teams are going all Widowmaker. :3

I'd probably get my ass kicked since I've always sucked at sniping in competitive FPSs. xD

RJ 17:

Seraj33:
Snip.

Can't say that I've ever really had an issue with Widowmaker. Generally speaking the sniper in my squad is good enough to counter-sniper her. That or I'll just go Reaper and hunt down their Widowmaker since Widowmakers are notorious for getting (almost literal) tunnel-vision which makes them very susceptible to being flanked.

I'd probably get my ass kicked since I've always sucked at sniping in competitive FPSs. xD

I just wanna play Zenyatta without getting instagibbed as soon as I show myself maaaaan. :c

Meiam:

It's less the plot itself and more the Time article.

http://time.com/4347224/captain-america-hydra-agent-marvel-tom-brevoort/

They are really trying to sell, the "Captain America is and always has been a Nazi" idea, regardless of it making no sense, and being a complete perversion of the character. Not just to the comic sites but to the mainstream to.

They see slanderous character assassination as "marketing". Why?

A. No one believes you.

B. Why would you want them to?

Lets compound this with the lead up to the release of "Steve Rogers:Captain America" was advertised as "in honor of his 75th anniversary."

Yes, it's going to be retconned out of existence. The fact the plot is going to be a total waste of time with no meaningful impact going forward is not a defense, it's an indictment.

The most damning thing about this? People on the fence about picking up the comics after seeing the movies, do you think they went "Wow, I have to go out and buy this!" or "...and this is why I don't waste my time with the comics."?

Marvel is that petulant child who never seems to learn there is such a thing as negative attention.

Seraj33:

RJ 17:

Seraj33:
Snip.

I just wanna play Zenyatta without getting instagibbed as soon as I show myself maaaaan. :c

Oh I feel your pain as someone who tends to play Mercy more often than not...though as I said: the bane to my existence tends to be Hanzo much more than Widowmaker. :P

Seraj33:

Widowmaker

The whole point of Defense heroes is that they hold the advantage, you are meant to change your offense to best deal with them, not the other way round.

Lethal bodyshots from snipers are a vital part of dealing with Tracers and Zenyatas, as both characters receive exceptional rewards for exposing themselves to such threats.
If your point is actually about Zenyata being too fragile, that's an issue to resolve elsewhere.

Points about her ultimate can easily be deflected with the fact that information is only as valuable as it is difficult to obtain:
If the enemy team has a Widowmaker, get Reinhardt out and have him push along the typical route, where everyone already expects you anyway.

UberPubert:

OI! What you say 'bout a'ur teeth? I'll knock yours a'ut mate!

OT: Comics gonna comic, this shit's been happening since day two, they'll retcon/back-track/satanic deal their way out of it eventually.

Eh, that is a reductionist view of how people feel. Also, no one should be surprised that people who are not American are less attached to a character called Captain America. This is the same as all the other times serious changes have been made to major characters. Some jackass conflates it with racism/sexism, and now it's an issue with nationalism. It's a completely idiotic view.

Here is what I think: Marvels writing has gone down the shitter in the last 7 years. So this is how they stir things up. They ignore 70 years of history and story to make a "big" change now. That is still shit writing. I'm not saying good things have not happened either. But they are either giving their writers less creative breadth to work in, or they are just hiring writers who are, for the most part, not all that creative. The public reaction in favor to this just shows how stagnant the universe has become. Literally any change, no matter how ludicrous, is applauded by people. That is why the "Trumpster" (as a friend at work calls him) is so attractive to people even though he speaks like an idiot 99% of the time, people want change. In both cases people are desperate to see something happen.

Also, lets face facts. This is going to be no different than all the times Captain America has been replaced by an evil doppleganger or framed for things he simply didn't do or mind controlled. It will ultimately have no impact and good Captain America will be back. You know why? Because when they put one of their shitty writers on this, it's not going to be good and the change to the character will probably ultimately lose some of the fans. Don't forget the millions of new fans that have popped up since the movies have done so well. A lot of them probably aren't going to like the change.

From the original article:

Every single month whether it's a run of the mill month for Captain America or an extraordinary month, our job is to put him in situations that place that character under some degree of pressure and see how he reacts to that. And hopefully our readers are surprised, shocked, elated, see something of themselves, learn something about themselves. To say it's a gimmick implies that it's done heedlessly just to shock. The proof is always going to be in the execution. So you'll have to read the rest of the story to see.

It can't be a surprise if everyone knows it's happening. I have to say, I miss the good old days when you might occasionally get a glimpse of what is coming from Wizard magazine or Previews. Now these idiots do Time interviews telling everyone what is coming well in advance. In the article he states that it will fit into the history... I can't wait to see it fall apart to be honest. It won't fit, it literally can't because it would mean denying every relationship he ever had with any other character.

I still think its something that will either A. Turn out to be a false memory implanted by Red Skull Onslaught or B. Be retconned anyway by future writers because Marvel canon is as fluid as Dr. Fate's gender.

I imagine that is where the bad teeth stereotype comes from

Its actually a difference in public perception. Americans go in for the very Hollywood look of teeth that are brilliant white and perfectly straight. In Britain we see such efforts to straighten and whiten as just vanity and excess, so just focus on keeping the things working right. As such British teeth are some of the healthiest in the world, in general, but because we don't give a shit if they're crooked you get the stereotype about them being gross. This has been your fun culture lesson for the day!

Anyway, I still can't believe people are actually making a fuss over this. Even if its not revealed he's acting as a double agent, or its mind control or psychotics, or turns out to be not the real Steve like the linked story, how long will this change actually last? Hey, is Doc Ock still gallivanting around as the Superior Spider-Man? No? Didn't think so.

Something Amyss:

MCerberus:

....Wait, wait wait wait. Al-Qaeda having access to fighter jets, stinger missiles, being part of an ancient order and building a doomsday weapon underneath New York city and using teenage girls as suicide bombers is a mainstream view of Muslims?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here