Good Bad Flicks: Hell of the Living Dead

Hell of the Living Dead

Zombies. Because it's always zombies.

Watch Video

They even dressed upt the mitlitary unit to look nearly exactly like Roger?s SWAT-Team, that storms the occupied building in the original Dawn of the Dead.

The italians made a lot of crazy zombi-movies back then, but even the worse ones where still much more entertaining, than a lot of the direct to video zombi-stuff of the last decade.

Was afraid you would not post (anymore/this week) when nothing came out Monday.
Good to see you still going strong, Cecil!!!

Nom nom nom nom, nom nom nom! For some reason, I couldn't stop laughing at that and had to play it back a few times. As always, the it was great, and I can never get enough cheesy as hell zombie movies.

was wondering where you were. great video.
ah these gore effects back then. still more convincing than today. and yes, shooting a child today in a movie will get you in a lot of trouble from hysterical mothers and these braindead do-gooders.

world war z was in my view still ok to watch. would have been better if it would be gorier as expected for a zombie movie but it had its thrilling moment. the scene with the zombies piling up a wall is something i have never seen in a zombie movie.

The zombie makeup in this movie has made me realize something(s) that I would like to exist; A low budget zombie flick that uses blackface for the zombie makeup (This stuff is already super close), and plays it completely straight, maybe with a throw-away reference to it taking place south of the Mason-Dixon line; or a zombie movie wherein all zombies are Old Greg. I think the former could make for an entertaining feature-length film, while the latter would probably be best as a <10 minute youtube video.

Chuppi:
They even dressed upt the mitlitary unit to look nearly exactly like Roger?s SWAT-Team, that storms the occupied building in the original Dawn of the Dead.

The italians made a lot of crazy zombi-movies back then, but even the worse ones where still much more entertaining, than a lot of the direct to video zombi-stuff of the last decade.

The majority of the current mainstream zombie films have been pretty awful. The smaller, independent ones like The Dead have been the gems. As for the old Italian/exploitation zombie films, they always had that magic element to them. Even when they were bad, they still were highly enjoyable. In some cases like Zombie, they were downright terrifying and did some incredible things. I mean, ZOMBIE VS SHARK.

Kenjitsuka:
Was afraid you would not post (anymore/this week) when nothing came out Monday.
Good to see you still going strong, Cecil!!!

Thanks! Just a slight delay because of the holiday. :)

LysanderNemoinis:
Nom nom nom nom, nom nom nom! For some reason, I couldn't stop laughing at that and had to play it back a few times. As always, the it was great, and I can never get enough cheesy as hell zombie movies.

There were two things that kept me laughing as I put this ep together, that was one of them. Thanks!

Metalrocks:
was wondering where you were. great video.
ah these gore effects back then. still more convincing than today. and yes, shooting a child today in a movie will get you in a lot of trouble from hysterical mothers and these braindead do-gooders.

world war z was in my view still ok to watch. would have been better if it would be gorier as expected for a zombie movie but it had its thrilling moment. the scene with the zombies piling up a wall is something i have never seen in a zombie movie.

Thanks! Just a delay because of the holiday. I tried twice with WWZ. Once with the PG13 cut and then again with the Unrated. Felt about the same with both. It could have been something but with Forster's directing it was going to be nothing but quick cuts, shaky cam and rubbish. The CG zombie wall was unique but everything was so slapdash I just kept losing interest.

ccggenius12:
The zombie makeup in this movie has made me realize something(s) that I would like to exist; A low budget zombie flick that uses blackface for the zombie makeup (This stuff is already super close), and plays it completely straight, maybe with a throw-away reference to it taking place south of the Mason-Dixon line; or a zombie movie wherein all zombies are Old Greg. I think the former could make for an entertaining feature-length film, while the latter would probably be best as a <10 minute youtube video.

I think Chappelle would be the only person who could put that together and make it work. He is a master of circumnavigating hot button things like that and making them funny.

Oh man, it looks terrible. Special forces using revovlers and tommy guns? A radioactive(zombie) steam leak triggered by falling on a valve with no handle?

I know it was a small budget film but I think they forgot to hire a scriptwriter.

BTW, Cecil, do you have plans to do any Ken Russel Films, particular as Lair of the White Worm? It seem like one of those would be right up your alley. Tommy(while a musical) is amazingly entertaining sort of terrible(which I guess is what happens when your director has a Christ metaphor fixation and hires people who can't sing for a musical).

Please do Bruiser, the George Romero/Misfits film, and Black Roses!

I love the zombie acting in this one, even as a kid I thought this was some of the most hilarious non-threatening zombies I'd ever seen. The parts where the characters just bowl them over always makes me chuckle. How on Earth are such slow moving, listless creatures supposed to be a credible threat? I always liked the film for how bad it is. Pointless TnA shots? Monsters that couldn't scare me when I was six years old? Obvious footage from other movies? Surprisingly decent gore effects? We've struck Saturday night, 3am movie gold!

As a standalone zombie movie, I thought World War Z wasn't that bad. I haven't read the books, so maybe there is something I am missing.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here