Good Bad Flicks: Exploring Troll Hunter

Exploring Troll Hunter

Exploring the making of Troll Hunter.

Watch Video

An american remake would probaly make the same mistakes as most american remakes of asian horror movies do.
Iron out the edges and the mistery and explain every little thing for the audience.
It seems like the people who make this movies consider their own fellow countrymen and women to dumb
to get the vibe of the originals and want to feed them a watered down and polished version.

For a norwegian this movie is hilarious, but like a lot of comedy it is very subjective to taste. every country has its own definition of comedy. Personally i think american comed is a bit too over the top

Once in a while you do a movie I already saw.
Can really recommend this one! ;)

this is indeed a great movie. really well made. but for some odd reason i never found the movie in stores, only available for rent.
but why the hell they have sold the rights to america is beyond me. anyone who has a solid knowledge of movies will know they will screw this up.

I agree, it's a good movie. I probably didn't notice the things that were aimed at norwegians, but it was still a pretty entertaining film. Another movie that had goods effects but a small budget, Iron Sky, was fun too.

Also, the American remake is probably set in America, which makes no sense at all.

I loved this the moment I found it on Netflix, and have eagerly shared it with friends.

Jute88:
I agree, it's a good movie. I probably didn't notice the things that were aimed at norwegians, but it was still a pretty entertaining film. Another movie that had goods effects but a small budget, Iron Sky, was fun too.

Also, the American remake is probably set in America, which makes no sense at all.

While I agree that the movie works better set in Norway, I think it could make perfect sense set in America too. We share a lot of the same stories about trolls and such and America has more than enough wilderness to explain how they stay hidden from the public eye. Troll stories are a part of our shared heritage with Europe.

They'll probably ruin the whole premise though, sad to say.

Must admit, when I watched it I didn't catch any of the satire O_o

Pretty dam cool movie thought :)

Especially loved how the brought in all the different troll mythos for the different species like sleeping under bridges!

Gorrath:

Jute88:

While I agree that the movie works better set in Norway, I think it could make perfect sense set in America too. We share a lot of the same stories about trolls and such and America has more than enough wilderness to explain how they stay hidden from the public eye. Troll stories are a part of our shared heritage with Europe.

It still wouldn't (in my opinion) work in America. It would be like Big Foot roaming in Poland or Japanese Tengu flying in Finland, it would just feel out of place.

Jute88:

Gorrath:

Jute88:

It still wouldn't (in my opinion) work in America. It would be like Big Foot roaming in Poland or Japanese Tengu flying in Finland, it would just feel out of place.

Sure, I'm just curious as to why you don't think it would work. I sort of see what you're driving at with a Tengu flying around Finland but bigfoot in Poland makes perfect sense to me since it's a cryptid that is seen basically all over the globe. If I'm following you right, you seem to be suggesting it wouldn't work because trolls aren't a part of American folklore? That's kind of true, though there are some tales of creatures that we would call trolls. Native Americans have some folklore that deals with troll-like creatures as well. I can see that a straight of the plot from the original would seem quite out of place. Hollywood should call me for a script.

Gorrath:

Jute88:

Gorrath:

Sure, I'm just curious as to why you don't think it would work. I sort of see what you're driving at with a Tengu flying around Finland but bigfoot in Poland makes perfect sense to me since it's a cryptid that is seen basically all over the globe. If I'm following you right, you seem to be suggesting it wouldn't work because trolls aren't a part of American folklore? That's kind of true, though there are some tales of creatures that we would call trolls. Native Americans have some folklore that deals with troll-like creatures as well. I can see that a straight of the plot from the original would seem quite out of place. Hollywood should call me for a script.

Big Foots been around? Huh, I always thought of him as purely American thing. But yeah, America should stick with its own mythology, and the same should apply to other countries as well.

On some point I agree with you. Animals don't give a fuck about national borders, so why would mythological creatures? Or hell, have a scientist imprison some trolls, bring them to the States, where they escape into the wilds. Wouldn't be the first time animals have escaped captivity.

But at the same I feel that Trolls (among others) should stay as close to their country (or countries) of origin as much as possible.

I'm curious, what are these "america trolls" called and how much do they resemble their European cousins?

Jute88:

Gorrath:

Jute88:

Big Foots been around? Huh, I always thought of him as purely American thing. But yeah, America should stick with its own mythology, and the same should apply to other countries as well.

On some point I agree with you. Animals don't give a fuck about national borders, so why would mythological creatures? Or hell, have a scientist imprison some trolls, bring them to the States, where they escape into the wilds. Wouldn't be the first time animals have escaped captivity.

But at the same I feel that Trolls (among others) should stay as close to their country (or countries) of origin as much as possible.

I'm curious, what are these "america trolls" called and how much do they resemble their European cousins?

To be fair, Big Foot tends to be a North American name but the cryptid itself is sort of all over the place. Off the top of my head we have the Big Foot from the U.S., Sasquach from Canada, Mapinguary from Brazil, Yowie from Australia, Sarajang Gigi (sp?) from Indonesia and the Yeti from Nepal. There are many more as well. I'm not a true believer or anything so I don't necessarily attribute these sightings to a singular cause of an actual ape-man but they are considered by many to be the same/similar cryptid. Anywho, that's just a bit of fun.

As for American trolls, we have:

Puckwudgie, which is very troll-like: image

Teihiihan which is often called "dwarf" but I think that's sort of splitting hairs. I could not find a good image reference for this one.

Nimerigar which is similar to the Teihiihan: image

The "flying heads", which to me look a heck of a lot like some troll drawings I've seen: image

And there are the "Stonish Giants": image

As well as others: image

Now those examples are all from Native American folklore, the European immigrants obviously brought the idea of the Scandanavian trolls with them, so those stories, while they exist in our culture, are re-tellings of the same stories from Europe.

Hope you find some of that interesting/useful. I think if we were to do an American "Troll Hunter" it would be much better off focusing on these sorts of things rather than just trying to import the Scandanavian folklore.

Jute88:

Gorrath:

Jute88:

I have a feeling they would do something like have American college kids go to Norway for some offhand documentary about the locals and stumble upon the Troll Hunter. Seems like the easiest/laziest way, which is what they usually do in these situations.

Gorrath:

Jute88:

Gorrath:

To be fair, Big Foot tends to be a North American name but the cryptid itself is sort of all over the place. Off the top of my head we have the Big Foot from the U.S., Sasquach from Canada, Mapinguary from Brazil, Yowie from Australia, Sarajang Gigi (sp?) from Indonesia and the Yeti from Nepal. There are many more as well. I'm not a true believer or anything so I don't necessarily attribute these sightings to a singular cause of an actual ape-man but they are considered by many to be the same/similar cryptid. Anywho, that's just a bit of fun.

As for American trolls, we have:

Puckwudgie, which is very troll-like

Teihiihan which is often called "dwarf" but I think that's sort of splitting hairs. I could not find a good image reference for this one.

Nimerigar which is similar to the Teihiihan:
The "flying heads", which to me look a heck of a lot like some troll drawings I've seen

And there are the "Stonish Giants"

As well as others

Now those examples are all from Native American folklore, the European immigrants obviously brought the idea of the Scandanavian trolls with them, so those stories, while they exist in our culture, are re-tellings of the same stories from Europe.

Hope you find some of that interesting/useful. I think if we were to do an American "Troll Hunter" it would be much better off focusing on these sorts of things rather than just trying to import the Scandanavian folklore.

Cool. Thank you for the info =)

CecilT:

Jute88:

Gorrath:

I have a feeling they would do something like have American college kids go to Norway for some offhand documentary about the locals and stumble upon the Troll Hunter. Seems like the easiest/laziest way, which is what they usually do in these situations.

That would be a terrible idea. I'd rather have a bland Troll Hunter movie who's subject was at least a bit innovative. Literally just re placing one set of college kids with another and making the same film would be boring, much in the way Quarantine was a boring version of Rec. Even if they made a kind of shitty film about troll hunting in America with American species/types of trolls, I'd rather watch that than just a rehash. But you're right, easiest/laziest way out tends to win the day. I hope someone finds a little more vision than that.

Normally I hate movies, but I think I'll look for this one periodically. I think I could sit through this one as opposed to what usually hits the venues around here.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here