8 Single-Player Games That Deserve Multi-Player

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Which single-player games do you feel need a multi-player setting?

Read Full Article

None because they run the risk of being deluted and turned into nothing as what they orignially were. And judging current trends in Multiplayer games they will end up like this:

Multiplayer would only ruin most of these. Fuck multiplayer.

canadamus_prime:

Isn't that why Elder Scrolls Online failed? Because it was Skyrim with multiplayer.

So... Ignoring the fact that there has already been Zelda games with multiplayer, and Deus Ex had one as well...

Not really selling me on any of these. We already got Skyrim Online by way of ESO, and while it has some popularity, without mods the game ends up feeling bland several hours in when you realize the best part of any Bethesda game isn't the world, it's the modding potential. As for the others? Other games have already done them better, Alien had "Alien vs Predator", then you have games like Splinter Cells merc versus agent styled asymmetrical gameplay that fits into the Batman/thief idea...

Yeah... And that is also ignoring the fact that multiplayer isn't intrinsically "deserved". Persona is an amazing game, doesn't mean it deserves multiplayer... Far from it, multiplayer being tacked onto a game is more a sign of laziness or lack of "stickiness" for the single player component.

Zontar:

canadamus_prime:

Isn't that why Elder Scrolls Online failed? Because it was Skyrim with multiplayer.

Don't know, never played ESO. However the existence of ESO makes me wonder why Skyrim was on this list.

Yeah. Not all games should have multiplayer. These games are so popular, because they are designed as single player experiences.

Wait Alien Isolation...Isolation needs muliplayer? ISSSOOOLLLLAAATTTIIIOOONNN. Pretty sure Alone in the Dark Illumination learned that lesson.

Also there is skyrim muliplayer, its called Elder Scrolls Online.

and there ARE muliplayer Zelda games. Quiet a few if I remember correctly.

A better choice would have beeen State of Decay or Hotline Miami. Hell I'd play Lost Kingdom muliplayer

That "deserve" multiplayer? Wow, what have these games ever done to you that you would damn them like that? Why would you dilute an excellent single player experience with penis wall sprays, twelve year olds screaming "STFU NOOB!" and idiots who think that a fourth sniper is just what your group needs?

On the gripping hand, there is just one single player game I can think of that really would benefit greatly from multiplayer, and that's Kerbal Space Program. Imagine conducting an orbital rendezvous with you controlling one craft and your friend in the other, or a joint mission to Duna with multiple landers and rovers. That would be amazing.

"Fallout 4 already feels like you're playing a multi-player game by yourself." This nicely sums up everything wrong with Fallout 4.

As someone who loves Co-op, I can see the reasoning behind some of these games. I would enjoy a lot of these if I cad someone by my side that could help me out when I get low.

But VS game-modes like they're suggesting? Oi, Fuck off. Alien Isolation...? Git!

Silentpony:

and there ARE muliplayer Zelda games. Quiet a few if I remember correctly.

Yeah, most recently there was Triforce Heroes on the 3DS, and then there was Four Swords on the GBA.
Plus, Hyrule Warriors has a co-op mode.

From those of us who don't like or want multiplayer in everything, can we please just have our single-player games and leave it at that?

canadamus_prime:

Zontar:

canadamus_prime:

Don't know, never played ESO. However the existence of ESO makes me wonder why Skyrim was on this list.

ESO isn't skyrim with MP. The second people saw it, they knew it wasn't a ES game. It's in the way it is structured. You don't have the openness of the gameplay systems.

More co-op, always more co-op. Making them huge multiplayer games though, is not at all interesting to me or my friends. That sort of experience has already been distilled into the survival genre.

As for the argument that multiplayer would makes these games worse; They're already shit. Fallout 4 is one of the blandest experiences in gaming ever, so was Skyrim and Oblivion as well, to a degree.
Escapists review gave Fo4 4 and a half stars (out of 5), despite mentioning the "tragic" and limited dialogue system.

All reviewers need to be far more critical and pander less to the casual/mainstream crowd. I have no qualms about calling anyone that, by the way, if you enjoy your console experience that's fine, but it's still the worst excuse in gaming for limiting games in every possible way, in order to fit them into shitty budget-PC consoles.

Maybe it's my strong anti-other players bias talking, but I find this to be the most offensive Escapist article ever made.

1. I think I'm gonna pull a Blizzard here and say that you don't really want Zelda MP. Yeah, it will be novel at first but then you'll realize how easy it will be with two of you and the fact that Zelda's world isn't built at ALL around the possibility of another player.

2. OK, Hitman MP sounds awesome. But it needs to be for Blood Money.

3. Hide and seek would get pretty boring after a while. And it would either be too easy for the searchers or too hard. Competitive stealing though sounds fun.

4. Deus Ex MP would just look like either Titanfall or Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare/Black Cops 3. Pick one.

5. Batman MP could be fun... Maybe...

6. See 3. for Hide and Seek gameplay. Also, play AvP2 for MP.

7. FO4? I'd rather see MP in Elder Scrolls. I'd say Borderlands comes close to this though.

8. Elder Scrolls MP? Oh yeshhhhhh. <3

Click-bait much?

'cus absolutely none of these games would be better with multiplayer.

Given the fact that you didn't even remember that Zelda and Deus Ex already have had multiplayer, that pretty much proves how well it went.

Alien isolation multiplayer could be fun.

1-2-3-4 VS 1 kind of thing. A large/huge map where 4 players square off vs the alien. The 4 have to finish objectives throughout the map and the alien has to stop them.

Could also be 4 vs AI. With the multiplayer AI by default being: I am death incarnate.

I would play it... If I had friends who played PC games

Personally, I'd quite enjoy a co-op campaign mode for Alien: Isolation. Would be a ton of fun to fuck over friends with noise makers and such.

I actually cringed at the thought of most of these. Mostly Thief, it felt like it was reaching for multiplayer ideas.

Fallout 4 and Skyrim already feel diluted enough as it is, I don't think co-op shenanigans could remove my problems with them. Plus y'know, it would remove or break mods, thus rendering them totally pointless.

I could see a co-op mode for Hitman where you both get a map each you you have to selectively remove people in your map to help your partner in their until you both meet up or remove the target at the end.

What, no X-COM? No Final Fantasy Tactics? No Master of Magic? None of those games seemed to beg for multiplayer the way these ones did.

Everyone always seems to try making this list, and the answer is always 'nothing'

I'd rather see a list that pondered what multiplayer games had solid enough game mechanics to craft a singleplayer out of.

Personally I'd say if they took Battlefield 1942 and gave it an Operation Flashpoint-like solo campaign it'd be the best thing ever.

The only acceptacle multiplayer mode is co-op. Everything else is a money sink.

Change some of these from multiplayer to coop and I'll agree a bit more, I'd be into a game where me and a pal got to play as Batman and Robin (although didn't Arkham Origins have a multiplayer?)
Most of these are a bit of a stretch though, seriously you want a Thief multiplayer?

Off topic though, is anyone else getting more and more depressed over the quality of the Escapists articles? Gods I miss Shamus Young and to be honest the only contributors I still care for here is Marter and EDA. *sigh*

iseko:
Alien isolation multiplayer could be fun.

1-2-3-4 VS 1 kind of thing. A large/huge map where 4 players square off vs the alien. The 4 have to finish objectives throughout the map and the alien has to stop them.

Could also be 4 vs AI. With the multiplayer AI by default being: I am death incarnate.

Yeah I was thinking something along these lines. Consider these:

Your ship has crashed on an alien planet; You and the other survivors have to activate the distress beacon and survive long enough for help to come. Have plenty of secondary 'missions' that the crew can work together on to create weapons, activate various ship systems, or otherwise try to trap/kill the Alien. Basically reverse Evolve.

Or along similar lines, an ARK style game where it's a server with multiple players trying to survive on a world and the server randomly picks one player to be the ultimate hunter. Pop up a server wide "An Alien has spawned" message, anyone involved in bringing the alien down gets bonus experience and maybe special crafting material. And the player that was the alien gets bonus experience based on how powerful the players he killed were.

Or have an all out human vs alien mode a la 'Aliens'. Tight corridors and hot marine vs alien action with secondary winning objectives like 'marines overload the core' or 'aliens get aboard the ship (and spread to earth)'

Katherine Kerensky:
Personally, I'd quite enjoy a co-op campaign mode for Alien: Isolation. Would be a ton of fun to fuck over friends with noise makers and such.

Lol, I hadn't even considered this but yes, that would be great!

TrulyBritish:
Off topic though, is anyone else getting more and more depressed over the quality of the Escapists articles? Gods I miss Shamus Young and to be honest the only contributors I still care for here is Marter and EDA. *sigh*

Count me among people depressed at the complete stupidity. I mean seriously. Aside from Hitman all of these are so utterly fucking retarded.

Zelda would be an okay choice if not for the fact it ALREADY HAS MULTIPLE MULTIPLAYER GAMES, and Batman already tried multiplayer and unsurprisingly it sucked. Skyrim and Fallout 4 are shallow pieces of shit enough already, remove even the ability to mod them and you might as well just have a turd in the case.

I mainly come here for Yahtzee and Shamus Young (when I don't it's usually to see whatever joke threads are up).

I always thought games like Fallout and Skyrim would greatly benefit from some multiplayer. Not MMO style of multiplayer or deathmatch, but closer to Borderlands... just let your friends' characters join your world and roam around with you.

Dr. McD:

TrulyBritish:

Count me among people depressed at the complete stupidity. I mean seriously. Aside from Hitman all of these are so utterly fucking retarded.

Zelda would be an okay choice if not for the fact it ALREADY HAS MULTIPLE MULTIPLAYER GAMES, and Batman already tried multiplayer and unsurprisingly it sucked. Skyrim and Fallout 4 are shallow pieces of shit enough already, remove even the ability to mod them and you might as well just have a turd in the case.

I mainly come here for Yahtzee and Shamus Young (when I don't it's usually to see whatever joke threads are up).

I wouldn't mind too much with this is these had more discussion value in them. I get that's not really what the "8 X games that blankety-blanks" is about but this had been an article about how he wanted multiplayer to be in these games or how they'd failed in the past it'd at least be something. There's just no effort in going"Well this is a good single player game, it should have a multiplayer mode in it".
I do like Yahtzee, but to be honest I tend to binge watch him more on the escapists youtube channel rather than on this site.

No game deserves the sad fate of having its resources being misused into making yet another pointless and stupid multiplayer mode. Multiplayer isn't something that one should "deserve". It's not something good by default - hell, I'd argue it's not something good at all.

I can't tell if this is just something for the Escapist to post on their Facebook to attract people who barely play video games or if it's a serious article because if you think about any of those for more than a second they also sound terrible.

Zelda has had multiplayer games, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures and Triforce Heroes. They're designed from the ground up as multiplayer games and are very fun. This would not work for a regular Zelda game because that's not how the games are designed.

The rest would all be terrible as MP games, except perhaps Skyrim or Fallout and I'm talking 2 player co-op max. We have enough issues with shit MP components being shoehorned into games as it is, stop feeding the issue.

TrulyBritish:
(although didn't Arkham Origins have a multiplayer?)

It did. It was....oh god it was awful. 2 people played a very clunky version of Batman and Robin, everyone else got to be two teams of mooks who controlled like amateur hour does gears of war by way of student project with some of the worst 3rd person controls I have ever encountered. Resident Evils tank controls are more fluid. Which, when you have ninja batman and robin flitting about you, does not go well.

Zontar:

canadamus_prime:

It wasn't even Skyrim, that was the problem. It came off more as "generic MMORPG set in Mundus."

hermes:
I always thought games like Fallout and Skyrim would greatly benefit from some multiplayer. Not MMO style of multiplayer or deathmatch, but closer to Borderlands... just let your friends' characters join your world and roam around with you.

Yes, because what my Skyrim experience needed was people slaughtering vendors and teabagging them while I try to offload my bandit hideout loots.

canadamus_prime:

Complete Whole hearted agreement.

Except Zelda, Which already had multiplayer games. And they were pretty good.

This is a dumb list.

Smithnikov:

hermes:

Yes, because what my Skyrim experience needed was people slaughtering vendors and teabagging them while I try to offload my bandit hideout loots.

I did said "friends" though, not random people trying to troll. It is trying to make it closer to The Forest, not Dark Souls...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here