Zero Punctuation: Inside & Shadow of the Beast

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Inside & Shadow of the Beast

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Inside and Shadow of the Beast.

Watch Video

For once, I've actually played a new release before Yahtzee's review dropped, so....cool, I guess.

Anyway, one thing I'm going to disagree with Yahtzee on is that while Inside does feel a lot like Limbo, it's not nearly as sadistic. Limbo literally has death traps that can't be seen until you trigger them and sometimes the only way you know you've stumbled across them is because your head is flying across the screen(separate from your suddenly lifeless body). Inside, OTOH,does have sequences that involve getting murdered a couple times while you figure things out, there are plenty of places where you're not really in any danger and others where you can survive the first time through if you are perceptive and think fast enough to figure out how to escape the threat.

I still liked both games though, though Inside is arguably weirder and more disturbing because it appears like it might be set in our world(either in modern day or the near future) while Limbo is really abstract and "arty".

Well googling "inside ending" certainly yielded interesting results...

Mostly I loved Inside because of the interesting puzzles and the STAGGERING amounts of attention paid to the character animation and camera movements. I'm serious, watch the boy walk, run, stumble, jump, swim, push, pull, all of it feels natural and real in a way I rarely see anymore.

No, Yahtzee, the principle activity of Shadow of the Beast was resetting the game because you did something out of order and can no longer proceed. Followed by getting blindsided by cheap-hitting enemies. Then standing in place and punching everything.

Pointless British politics argument in 3...2...

Piecewise:

Rabble, rabble, rabble, England! Rabble, rabble, rabble, EU! Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Margret Thatcher's decaying soul!

Seriously though, Shadow of the Beast of all things got a remake?

"You will die like a Game of Thrones supporting actor demanding a salary increase."

AHAHAHAHAhaha...hahaha...ha...

*sob*

Don't remind me, damn it. (Though I had to laugh at the use of the word "stark" in the very next sentence.)

Metalix Knightmare:

I can only assume somebody at Heavy Spectrum was a fan and went "Hey Sony, can we remake this?" and Sony was like "OK but it has to be a PlayStation exclusive."

Piecewise:

I mean .... It's kinda hard NOT to if you know anything at all about Yahtzee's previous stances on social matters over the past few years. It makes absolutely no sense for someone who's been as outspoken about political correctness and the abject idiocy of Big-Bank backed CEO / Investors dictating all of the godawful major decisions in Game Design in the past 5 years -- as Yahtzee has been. His core audience is without a doubt largely sympathetic to Brexit'ers and knows that they're not just a bunch of Knuckle Dragging rabble. Infact Yahtzee's long been a populist voice so it makes little sense for him to suddenly switch sides and defend the conventions of the E.U. that specifically condone a Governance not of the people but of an "Enlightened Oligarchy" of appointed Elites who believe in "Diversity at all costs" at the risk of massive Disparity and the destruction of a healthy middle class .

All I can assume is that he's been living in Australia a bit too long and is out of touch with Rural folk of the UK. ....though I guess he's always made fun of them, esp. the Welsh every chance he gets so it's also possible I'm just talking out of my dumb american arse

PS: Where the bloody hell is Furi? I thought for sure that's what he'd be covering b/c it's so far up his Alley he could <[/insert patented Z.P. Horse pun & image here]>

Piecewise:

Grrr. Haha. No but seriously, surely he's over the brexit gags now?

For someone living on the other side of the planet Yahtzee sure is butthurt about freedom.

Google searching Dead or Alive 3 will cause a problem with your girlfriend?

Do you even know your audience?

That's a problem I know I'll never need to deal with; the unbridled freedom of SafeSearch: OFF is truly a luxury!

And these are happy tears, I'm not really crying, leave me alone!

He didn't even make an inside the beast joke. D'oh well.

im beginning to think that yahtzee isn't a brexit supporter lol.
to bad, hes usually smart on most things but i guess regaining your sovreignty from the EU super state isn't something he consideres worth his time.

If Yahtzee was setting up some kind of hierarchy for awful things, I think he ranked zombies as worse than Brexit supporters.

Metalix Knightmare:

Fucking Indigo Prophecy got a remake mate, all you need to have to get remastered/remade is a name and a cadre of buyers.

ScrewballBRaine:

I sure hope so, as they are neither clever nor funny.

That Shadow of the Beast character looks like a discount bin Black Panther to me.

Piecewise:

All I know is that since Brexit the weather has been shit. That's no coincidence. It's those bloody Eurocrats again with their nice weather quotas trying to rain on our parade, I read about it in The Mail. About time we took back control of own our weather I say!

GrumbleGrump:

ScrewballBRaine:

Pretty much how I feel. I don't care one way or the other about Yahtzee's political views, as long as the gags are funny it doesn't matter if I agree with him or not. I'm just here for the yucks.

Sadly, lately the political references have been frequent, but depressingly unfunny and quite frankly rather predictable and lazy.

Hampus Hampe:
to bad, hes usually smart on most things but i guess regaining your sovreignty from the EU super state isn't something he consideres worth his time.

He obviously doesn't realize in the long run things will be better sure Britain will hit some tight spots but it will retain independence and control over its own borders.

Another game that inexplicably end with non-representative gameplay that piseed me off: Dying Light.

I love all the Brexit voters that immediately ran to social media to confess they thought they were just kidding (aka sabotaging the system). They demonstrated that your vote does matter. Also, Barclays has just announced that the recession will start soon. /endevillaugh

Madmatty:
He obviously doesn't realize in the long run things will be better sure Britain will hit some tight spots but it will retain independence and control over its own borders.

Sure, that free trade agreement was just holding back their maufacturing prowess. Any second now the coal plants will all fire back up, and Britian will once again outpace New Zealand. The baby was thrown out with the bath water. The only saving grace is that it could take another 18 months before the real squeeze begins.

Shadow of the beast has been mildly intriguing, but avoided it for reasons mostly unsure. Good to see I'm not missing much there. Inside is just going to take some patience and spoiler avoidance for an unspecified amount of time, fucking timed exclusives seem to be MS's only state of play these days. Nice political references, it is of course garunteed to piss some people off, but it's not like it can change much currently, is it? Should see the people who realised Frankie Boyle wasn't the asshole his early character made him out to be. It's like trying to keep Poe's law at bay.

Edit: Oh good lord, don't search for "dark wet inside" ...whatever you do. Make sure to put a "fuse" in there if you can. Yes, that was supposed to sound as weird as it did.

iller3:

Piecewise:

I mean .... It's kinda hard NOT to if you know anything at all about Yahtzee's previous stances on social matters over the past few years. It makes absolutely no sense for someone who's been as outspoken about political correctness and the abject idiocy of Big-Bank backed CEO / Investors dictating all of the godawful major decisions in Game Design in the past 5 years -- as Yahtzee has been. His core audience is without a doubt largely sympathetic to Brexit'ers and knows that they're not just a bunch of Knuckle Dragging rabble. Infact Yahtzee's long been a populist voice so it makes little sense for him to suddenly switch sides and defend the conventions of the E.U. that specifically condone a Governance not of the people but of an "Enlightened Oligarchy" of appointed Elites who believe in "Diversity at all costs" at the risk of massive Disparity and the destruction of a healthy middle class .

All I can assume is that he's been living in Australia a bit too long and is out of touch with Rural folk of the UK. ....though I guess he's always made fun of them, esp. the Welsh every chance he gets so it's also possible I'm just talking out of my dumb american arse

PS: Where the bloody hell is Furi? I thought for sure that's what he'd be covering b/c it's so far up his Alley he could <[/insert patented Z.P. Horse pun & image here]>

iller3:

Piecewise:

No he's not "out of touch" at all, Brexiters are a bunch of fucking idiots. Several people who voted to leave admitted to not having voted since the 80s, and there was a spike in Google searches for "What happens in Britain leave E.U." only AFTER the votes ended, also it's hilarious how the "leave" campaign almost immediately had to renege on those ridiculous too-good-to-be-true promises that no one in their right mind ever should've believed. To those people, I say "nice job fucking up your own country! how does Farage's dick taste?"

Hampus Hampe:

He's plenty smart, all that talk about "sovereignty" is total fucking horseshit.

GrumbleGrump:

Metalix Knightmare:

Fucking Indigo Prophecy got a remake mate, all you need to have to get remastered/remade is a name and a cadre of buyers.

ScrewballBRaine:

That was a remaster, not a remake, they are two completely different things altogether.

Madmatty:

Hampus Hampe:

"better in the long run?" LOL, now that's fucking hilarious! Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

darkrage6:

Madmatty:

Hampus Hampe:

"better in the long run?" LOL, now that's fucking hilarious! Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

They won't have to let in anymore invaders so it will be better in the long run also you'd be surprised how many young people supported brexit

Madmatty:

darkrage6:

Madmatty:

They won't have to let in anymore invaders so it will be better in the long run also you'd be surprised how many young people supported brexit

Wow you keep on bringing the laughs, the U.K. leaving the E.U. will have ZERO impact on immigration(immigrants are not all "invaders", that's fucking stupid, can't take people like you seriously who think all Muslims are EEEEEEEEVIL):https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/10/immigration-truth-brexit-would-not-bring-it-under-control

darkrage6:

Madmatty:

darkrage6:

Wow you keep on bringing the laughs, the U.K. leaving the E.U. will have ZERO impact on immigration(immigrants are not all "invaders", that's fucking stupid, can't take people like you seriously who think all Muslims are EEEEEEEEVIL):https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/10/immigration-truth-brexit-would-not-bring-it-under-control

The ones who support sharia law are evil and a lot of them support it seriously they should be shooting them if they try to get in

Madmatty:

darkrage6:

Madmatty:

The ones who support sharia law are evil and a lot of them support it seriously they should be shooting them if they try to get in

The U.K. will never be under Sharia law, that is one of the most asinine things i've ever heard.

Thatcher's Britain sounds like my cup of tea... with an ending that vaguely reminds me of biscuits after America happened...

Other than that, I read the url as Inside Shadow of the Beast, which sounds like an existential surreal take on a suppose remake that's basically like Athena's God of War... Also, you can't search "Dark" without the word "Souls" generally speaking... ;p

Jaro Black:

Seriously, how can anybody be so stupid. Leaving the UK, to control immigration because of fear of sharia law is like saying: i cut off my arm, because butterflys make me scared and also i am against the thing that never will happen. And yes, sharia law is no good thing. But luckily you have, oh sorry, had a functioning democtratic system, where changing the status quo, i.e. laws governed by judges and voters, is literally impossible unless a majority of people turn stupid. But that wouldn't happen... oh wait... what did you just vote for? Maybe there IS a majority of stupid people in your country.

Also: When you say, you want to kill people you are
a) a dumb teenager of 14 that acts tough because hormones are a weird thing
b) a psychopath

And just to get down to your "level" (deeeeep underground that is): People preaching to kill other people should be raped by sharia law promoters. There. Happy now?

This is the problem with people. Instead of trying to understand motivations or look into other opposing arguments before solidifying an opinion. There is a reaction of anger, name-calling, frustration, arrogance ect. When really it is a waste of your time because you're not convincing anyone of your position. I've seen good arguments for brexit and good arguments for remain. Whatever you believe about the EU, it is not perfect, transparent, or run by intelligent, altruistic individuals. Its very easy to believe that people voted out because of xenophobia, but I ask you to look beyond media hype and understand that the EU hasn't benefited everyone.

Piecewise:

Sadly, it seems you are correct. You should try living here, it's beyond tedious now.

I was surprised he went for it in the video with such vehemence, I'd always found the videos pleasingly apolitical and a refreshing change from the creeping politicisation of a hobby I indulge in to avoid the real world at the end of long day.

Gsmoove:

Jaro Black:

Seriously, how can anybody be so stupid. Leaving the UK, to control immigration because of fear of sharia law is like saying: i cut off my arm, because butterflys make me scared and also i am against the thing that never will happen. And yes, sharia law is no good thing. But luckily you have, oh sorry, had a functioning democtratic system, where changing the status quo, i.e. laws governed by judges and voters, is literally impossible unless a majority of people turn stupid. But that wouldn't happen... oh wait... what did you just vote for? Maybe there IS a majority of stupid people in your country.

Also: When you say, you want to kill people you are
a) a dumb teenager of 14 that acts tough because hormones are a weird thing
b) a psychopath

And just to get down to your "level" (deeeeep underground that is): People preaching to kill other people should be raped by sharia law promoters. There. Happy now?

This is the problem with people. Instead of trying to understand motivations or look into other opposing arguments before solidifying an opinion. There is a reaction of anger, name-calling, frustration, arrogance ect. When really it is a waste of your time because you're not convincing anyone of your position. I've seen good arguments for brexit and good arguments for remain. Whatever you believe about the EU, it is not perfect, transparent, or run by intelligent, altruistic individuals. Its very easy to believe that people voted out because of xenophobia, but I ask you to look beyond media hype and understand that the EU hasn't benefited everyone.

He never said it did. I don't think anyone did. Maybe if you read other people's posts before raising your strawman?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here