Zero Punctuation: Furi & Song of the Deep

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Furi & Song of the Deep

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Furi and Song of the Deep.

Watch Video

I feel like Insomniac is to games what Spider-Man is to cartoons. The first handful of outings were all quite good and impressive, but has become much less interesting over the past few years. I guess this analogy comes full circle when you figure that Insomniac is off developing that new Spider-Man game for Sony.

Also, why do I feel the need to bring up Dust: An Elysian Tail?

Why am I made to watch the 2013 pre-roll video instead of the video titled? Why does it get stuck after it's done playing? Why? Help.

Am I the only one who actually liked Ori and the Blind Forest?! It was so cute and fun and beautiful!

"Like voting for the libertarians..."

Ahahahahahaha!

...Now I'm sad.

Basterd.

Poor Insomniac. The Ratchet and Clank kinda-sorta remake, not to mention the movie, landed with a soft and quickly forgotten thud, and their efforts at being indie isn't making much more of a... Splash. Maybe they should go the Naughty Dog route and start making generic repetitive cover shooters with expensive voice acting and lots of "cinematic" trope filled cut scenes. They could hire Tia Carrere to reprise her role as Laura "Indianna" Croft-Jones. Call it Relic Raider, or maybe Tomb Hunter. Either way, a sure hit.

Transdude1996:
I feel like Insomniac is to games what Spider-Man is to cartoons. The first handful of outings were all quite good and impressive, but has become much less interesting over the past few years. I guess this analogy comes full circle when you figure that Insomniac is off developing that new Spider-Man game for Sony.

I think Spider-Man cartoons have actually gotten better over the years(the FOX kids series was OK but hamstrung by the censors ridiculous demands to never let Peter punch anyone).

Myria:
"Like voting for the libertarians..."

Ahahahahahaha!

...Now I'm sad.

Basterd.

Poor Insomniac. The Ratchet and Clank kinda-sorta remake, not to mention the movie, landed with a soft and quickly forgotten thud, and their efforts at being indie isn't making much more of a... Splash. Maybe they should go the Naughty Dog route and start making generic repetitive cover shooters with expensive voice acting and lots of "cinematic" trope filled cut scenes. They could hire Tia Carrere to reprise her role as Laura "Indianna" Croft-Jones. Call it Relic Raider, or maybe Tomb Hunter. Either way, a sure hit.

I don't think Naughty Dogs games are "generic" or "repetitive" at all.

Silentpony:
Am I the only one who actually liked Ori and the Blind Forest?! It was so cute and fun and beautiful!

Overwhelmingly Positive scoring on Steam says you're definitely not the only one. I remember Yahtzee's main issue was just the ending, so I don't believe he or anyone thought it was bad at all (unless I'm remembering that wrong).

i like song of the deep and as always haters be damned

Silentpony:

It is. I think what Yahztee was implying is if you've played it, you've already played a game that's better in every way, so don't bother with this one.

So, at least one debate is finally over. We know Yahtzee isn't circumcised... or at least wasn't before this episode.

Also, there is an auto-walk button for Furi. I hoped it there was actually something to find if you don't follow the obvious path, but the only thing I found was when I was before The Song, where I found The Voice saying how maybe she isn't putting an act on. And that's it.

The Edge is my favorite boss. Especially his catchphrase "Excellency isn't art, it's a habit. We are what we repeatedly do."

You people remember that Song of the Deep is the game Published by Gamestop, right? GameTrust IS Gamestop. i'm not surprised that even Insomniac managed to squeeze out a little brown water-turd under their thumb.

i know, i'm probably placing too much emphasis on Gamestop's role here, but after yesterday's experience, i'd like to reaffirm my position of "Screw Gamestop."

Cute character, scary world is really wearing thin isn't it?

Beh.

Furi sounds potentially fun though.

I am really conficted with Yahtzee's last statement (not exatcly just the last, but the senteces before it as well) that a big studio made a indie-style game and it gets judged because of that, from the way Song of the Deep was described looked like your usual Metroidvania that we never see enough of on Steam and it should be judged as such. No wonder companies rejected certain genres such as the Metroidvania, the beat-em-up and the 3D platformer, if they're going to be judged like that for trying to do something small but that matters it's better not to take the risk.

I think this is why we're never gonna see Mother 3 released outside of Japan, because it's a GameBoy Advance game as Earthbound-niche as it gets and it's something neither recognizeable nor that appeals to the otaku crowd.

martyrdrebel27:
You people remember that Song of the Deep is the game Published by Gamestop, right? GameTrust IS Gamestop. i'm not surprised that even Insomniac managed to squeeze out a little brown water-turd under their thumb.

i know, i'm probably placing too much emphasis on Gamestop's role here, but after yesterday's experience, i'd like to reaffirm my position of "Screw Gamestop."

I think Gamestop is awesome.

Redlin5:

Beh.

Yeah stuff like Brothers, Journey, Flower, Unravel and Limbo just does not appeal to me.

darkrage6:

martyrdrebel27:

I think Gamestop is awesome.

i used to be somewhere between "kinda on their side" and "neutral". most annoyingly, i've always been more informed in every way than any gamestop employee i've ever encountered, including things about the software availability of consoles i had never, and would never, own.

and what has me currently annoyed is that a friend of mine recently gave me his 3ds, but i needed a charger and a stylus. i told her which DS i owned, even showed her, and told her i was looking for official nintendo gear if possible. she provided me with a stylus kit that was official, but was for the XL, which the stylus didn't fit. the charger i didn't notice, assuming she was on point, but when i actually got it open, only then did i notice that i was their gamestop brand, which barely fit, and was of poor quality, when i know that they have an official nintendo one for the same price.

they are Pro-GameStop, not Pro-Gamer/consumer.

obviously, this can change based on a number of factors, but this culture is handed down from on high.

Fivedaysa Stranger? I see what you did there.

The part about having an education from the back of dads whiskey bottles and "...she goes out to sea to drag her dead-beat dad back from what ever mermaid bordello he's presently drinking dry...". made me laugh out loud.

I thought Sunset Overdrive was awesome. Sure it's more style over substance, but what style!

Programmed_For_Damage:
I thought Sunset Overdrive was awesome. Sure it's more style over substance, but what style!

agreed. both Sunset Overdrive and Titanfall were excellent games held back by their Xbox Exclusivity. i'm so excited to see Titanfall 2 go multi-platform.

You didn't mash the 2 games together in the end credits! DX

I was hoping he would complain a bit more about the dash and parry to validate my ineptness at both actions. At least he mentioned that The Burst was difficult because that's where I'm currently stuck. Fuck the bullet hell, I made it to the last bit without losing a healthbar and got my ass handed to me every damn time.

darkrage6:

Transdude1996:

I think Spider-Man cartoons have actually gotten better over the years(the FOX kids series was OK but hamstrung by the censors ridiculous demands to never let Peter punch anyone).

I was referring to the latest two series, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man. Those two never really resonated with me as far as being good. Haven't seen the MTV show, though, but I wasn't at all hating on the Fox series or anything prior.

Igor-Rowan:
I am really conficted with Yahtzee's last statement (not exatcly just the last, but the senteces before it as well) that a big studio made a indie-style game and it gets judged because of that, from the way Song of the Deep was described looked like your usual Metroidvania that we never see enough of on Steam and it should be judged as such. No wonder companies rejected certain genres such as the Metroidvania, the beat-em-up and the 3D platformer, if they're going to be judged like that for trying to do something small but that matters it's better not to take the risk.

I think this is why we're never gonna see Mother 3 released outside of Japan, because it's a GameBoy Advance game as Earthbound-niche as it gets and it's something neither recognizeable nor that appeals to the otaku crowd.

The problem wasn't the company making a small game, the problem was that the idea behind it has already been done (To death) and other developers have executed both the gameplay and story better on a much smaller budget with many fewer members.

"Fivedaysa Stranger" would have been even better if it had been set underwater, like SOMA meets Friday the 13th.

Transdude1996:
Snip

Better late than never I guess, I mean they are the guys who do Ratchet and Clank, there is no way in hell they would get something like this done on the first try (the Metroidvania, the story, the atmosphere) but I think putting this pressure on them is kind of unfair, like they should have succeded with experimenting, even though that's the whole point. I think they should have aimed for a little more, but maybe they'll do something with other untapped genres.

I don't think this game is a failure, fans of Blaster Master are really going to get behind it.

Holy shit was I not expecting to laugh that hard at what made Yahtzee laugh...

Other than that, would Furi Song of the Deep be an underwater, bullet hell, hack-and-slash Metroidvania game about a girl trying to find her father at sea and ends up finding a stranger who may or may not be connected to said father's disappearance at sea?

So did he like Furi or not? And I wish someone mentioned the similarity to Hyper Light Drifter.

This is all well and good but why don't you do some retro reviews again? I liked those and this is the perfect time to do 'em. WTH happened to them?

So, is Yahtzee genuinely not aware that he didn't fight the final boss? For those unaware, after the last Jailer boss, the one Yahtzee described as weirdly easy, but not easy enough to be a joke, you're presented with a choice (as well as an explanation, of sorts, as to what's going on with the main character). One decision leads to the bad ending, but no extra boss (easier to get a better rating), the other leads to the much more fitting final boss, and the good ending. Granted, the game's credits are placed between the last Jailer boss and the final boss, so I would guess he simply turned off the game before the credits ended. Very unfortunate. Glad he liked it, at least. Really superb game.

BiH-Kira:
So, at least one debate is finally over. We know Yahtzee isn't circumcised... or at least wasn't before this episode.

Also, there is an auto-walk button for Furi. I hoped it there was actually something to find if you don't follow the obvious path, but the only thing I found was when I was before The Song, where I found The Voice saying how maybe she isn't putting an act on. And that's it.

The Edge is my favorite boss. Especially his catchphrase "Excellency isn't art, it's a habit. We are what we repeatedly do."

On The Song, you can get an alternate ending by going all the way back the way you came.

*Rider, not Raider. And since the credits roll before you can do that, I'm sure he just quit the game, thinking that was it.

Some people have compared Fury to Punch Out. I think it fit.

MonkeyPunch:
The part about having an education from the back of dads whiskey bottles and "...she goes out to sea to drag her dead-beat dad back from what ever mermaid bordello he's presently drinking dry...". made me laugh out loud.

Wouldn't surprise me if, in some corner of a red-light district in some part of the world, there really is a mermaid-themed bordello.

darkrage6:

Redlin5:

Beh.

Yeah stuff like Brothers, Journey, Flower, Unravel and Limbo just does not appeal to me.

Funny how the indie side of video games is breaking up into their own little subcategories, and Little Kid with a Big Head in a Scary World is already flooded.

Aquaria is still awesome, right?

Uh, did Yahtzee just mention Thanfiction?

As in "Brainwash people into cults revolving around flavor-of-the-month Young Adult phenomenons" Thanfiction?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here