Good Bad Flicks: Exploring Blade

Exploring Blade

Exploring the making of Blade.

Watch Video

Hee hee, picked up the 3 on DVD for total $6 at Wilmington convention this year. Great stuff and great points: had they messed this up, what would have been the impact on the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Interesting, Darkman was also a dark Super Hero movie from 1990 and made only 50 million. Maybe we just weren't ready then.

My only detraction from Blade: Stephen Dorph is awfully pretty and dainty looking next to Blade. I never took him seriously as a big bad.

Too bad about Blade 3. Ryan Reynolds was a hoot.

CecilT:
Exploring Blade

Exploring the making of Blade.

Watch Video

The movie was the first time I ever heard of Blade. Man, October 1998; I was 9 years old when this film came out. If you have not seen the Blade anime that came our in 2011, I highly recommend it. The show is only 12 episodes and never feels rushed, bloated, or underwhelming.

As much as I love Blade 1 and 2 (3 was okay but Dracula was hilariously bad), I would honestly sacrifice them all to take back the era of superhero movies.

We where SO hyped for months for Blade 1 as kids. And it was worth the pay off!!!
I am open to a new part with Snipes; I've ALWAYS liked him in all his roles.

I liked the first one, but the second was horrible. That fight scene in front of the wall of lights? That was some truly bad CGI.

I liked the first one, but the second was horrible. That fight scene in front of the wall of lights? That was some truly bad CGI.

yes, some of the cgi is bad. but never the less; an enjoyable movie. all 3 of them. yes part 3 isnt great but still watchable.

I loved the first one, it was a lot of fun. The second one... passable. The third one... Well, Ryan Reynolds was funny at times.

And now the Ice Skating Uphill line makes sense.

They really could have worked that into the film better.

Blade 1: lots of fun and pretty well done. Loved the little girl kicking his butt there. I always hated the ending though.

Blade 2: A mess but a fun mess, Snipes continued to be great as blade and looked and sounded believable as hell.

Blade 3: Having Blade explain why the group were a bunch of idiots didn't make them any less idiots. "I like to listen to music while I hunt." Really? In a fight for your life where you're surrounded by killer vampires you don't need to, you know, hear anything?

how is Blade even a bad flick? It's just good.

I loved Blade as a kid. I think every black kid in NYC did. I love it now. It had great fight scenes, a gritter feel (back when gritty was a novelty). And it really made a live-in world, not a set piece.

I did end up not liking Blade 2 as much. It was the first time I saw a nearly complete CGI fight scene, and as a Martial Artist, I almost wanted to throw up. Wesley Snipes has so much talent, to ruin it with that fake looking stuff... heartbreaking.

Would love to see Snipes again, maybe in a 2 film handing down of the mantel to a younger actor. Would be an awesome send off for such a perfectly casted character. He could become like the new whistler who gives a chance to a kid like whistler did to him.

Plus there's always the doctor strange/paranormal teams up potential...

I think Blade likes to rub the audience's face in the whole "Ooh, this is so grim and gritty" thing a bit too much at times. But I still have a soft spot in my heart for it, and I certainly recognize its importance in the chain of allowing studios and audiences alike to take "comic book" movies seriously.

ObsidianJones:
how is Blade even a bad flick? It's just good.

I loved Blade as a kid. I think every black kid in NYC did. I love it now. It had great fight scenes, a gritter feel (back when gritty was a novelty). And it really made a live-in world, not a set piece.

I did end up not liking Blade 2 as much. It was the first time I saw a nearly complete CGI fight scene, and as a Martial Artist, I almost wanted to throw up. Wesley Snipes has so much talent, to ruin it with that fake looking stuff... heartbreaking.

Good bad flicks is the brand whenever he does a video named exploring x it just means hes looking at the production of a movie he usually likes

Blade is interesting, because the longer it went on, the worse it got. Not just in the movies themselves, but even in the first movie.

Blade started out amazing, but I honestly thought it got weaker as the film went on. The first half of the movie is perfect, but then it kind of starts going downhill.

Blade 2 had some neat ideas (the design of the Reapers was phenomenal), but the CGI fight scenes were just atrocious.

And Blade 3 was just...ugh. Dracula was terrible (it looked like they went to some random nightclub in Europe and just grabbed some dude and told him he was going to be Dracula), Jessica Biel was awful (yes, she puts in headphones when she walks around killing Vampires and uses a laser bow, makes total sense). At least Ryan Reynolds was funny.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here