136: Flashback

136: Flashback

Imagine your own sepia tone.

Read Full Article

Serves her right. Don't queue as healer if you're DPS spec'd.

Ah, my favourite kind of character: An archetype, but with a backstory that explains it, instead of just lazily going "Yeah, she's Character Type #6", and leaving it at that.

"Differences give rise to fear.
Fear begets shame.
Shame gives rise to hatred.
Hatred leads to suffering.
Suffering causes more hatred.
Hatred leads to the dark side."

I see nothing wrong with the healer knowing how to fight. Better DPS when no-one needs healing

Bitch, you can cast Phoenix! That's one of the best spells in the game. Get over there and resurrect Sword Guy.

Solkard:
Serves her right. Don't queue as healer if you're DPS spec'd.

Alright, this got a chuckle out of me.

The Red, sorry, Sepia-headed stepchild then.
Much trope... wondering where it will lead.

Guess she was introducing too much black magic thuggery to the neighborhood.

Since no one has stated this yet.
*Ahem*
HOLY ****! When did Robocop become a knight?

...Well.

I did NOT see that one coming at all.

Here's the real question: why doesn't the comic number have # in front of it like all the others?

Huh, wasn't expecting that. Still, I'm legitimately curious to see where we go from here...

Ahhh, and here's the part where we get to find out that FlutterElf is a special snowflake!

JCAll:
Bitch, you can cast Phoenix! That's one of the best spells in the game. Get over there and resurrect Sword Guy.

^This. Seriously, you're raised by a society of healers and your "spirit animal" - for lack of a better term - is the metaphor for rebirth/resurrection.

For those that may be unfamiliar/may have forgotten: traditionally in FF games, the Phoenix summon rezzes all currently downed party members. In some games it even gives the re-rezz buff that instantly revives people once they're downed.

Pinky just needs to UNLEASH THE BEAST!!!

Waah waah waah..they were frightened of me because I was different. Bitch, you were lighting shit on fire. Don't act all put upon when you where gleefully burning crap. I'd be concerned, too.

As others mentioned, Phoenixes are known for resurrection. Get that thing to rez Sloud Ctrife (kuh-trife).

At the very least, she's a fire mage. She could have cauterized the wound.

"B-b-but I like multi-classing..."

Says the 6th level Fighter, 1st level Rogue, 1st level Paladin. I swear I can explain.

inb4 the next 5 chapters are an exposition dump before pink gets 1 cool moment right at the end of this arc

also bring gunny back
he's the only character I care about

Holy shit! Who here has been talking about those red eyes all along? Yeah. Somebody knew there was a little fire mage in her. She was the Broot (Omega Men) from her society of healers. She is now the outcast savior of this arc.

Also, I see the bauble on her belt featured prominently in the stained-glass window. She is clearly some sort of chosen one. It is no doubt some form of healing energy seal/damper that she has promised to carry her whole life to keep her hidden god-like flame-striking powers contained. When she has this flashback in the distant future, she will abandon her healing roots, discard the bauble, and achieve her true potential as a fire mage that saves the day.

Come to think of it, the phoenix resurrection ability makes a lot more sense than the fire thing. That gets Erin and NotCloud back up to complete this story. Forget all that fire mage stuff.

Also, the bauble looks like a circle about 3ft above a the half-dead Robocop/knight, so Half Life 3 confirmed.

Cowabungaa:

Says the 6th level Fighter, 1st level Rogue, 1st level Paladin. I swear I can explain.

Depending on the version that is not that bad.

Satinavian:

Cowabungaa:

Depending on the version that is not that bad.

It's 5th, but I paid no attention to whether it would work or not. Only whether it made sense for the character.

This has probably been raised as a theory before, but I'm pretty sure that every character with an arc represents a different facet of Erin's fractured psyche (yes, even Gunny), and this strip cements that belief.

"Shun! Shun the pink-haired one!" said all the blonde-haired elves (man, I do not like what that's implying).
"Why? What did I do to deserve such harsh treatment?" asked he pink-haired elf.
"Kid, you summoned an eagle made of fire! That ain't right!"
"Oh, right. But that was totally metal as f$#&!"

She doesn't have Tarrgaryen hair.

Let it burn!
Let it burn!
Let the phoenix rise and they'll learn!
Let it burn!
Let it burn!
A pheonix down is of no concern!
That's how I feel
When I can't just heal!
I did care what they'll say
The shyness never bothered me, anyway...

Other than that, I guess you could say that she was a divergent in her field of training...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here