139: Auspicious

139: Auspicious

Details are unimportant.

Read Full Article

Well,...

... she is kind of a loser. She was supposed to be a healer and instead was pyro-mage all along. Her healing sucked and she agreed to be on an epic quest of great importance without realizing that they needed a GOOD healer, not a horrible one.

Bottom line: Tank was kidnapped by the boss, DPS died, someone cast friendly poison on the group's Entertainer, the pet class is a useless scout, and everyone KNOWS it is all the Healer's fault!

Could you post that crystal exposition? I smell another Lorem Ipsum incoming.

did the writers get bored and not want to write more backstory for this character we're clearly supposed to care about?

or did they realise that this arc has run its course and that they need to end it asap

I always *knew* that had to do something to stay busy in between missions!
I mean, it's not like they would stand ramrod stiff in the exact same spot forever... ;)

Deathfish15:
Well,...

... she is kind of a loser. She was supposed to be a healer and instead was pyro-mage all along. Her healing sucked and she agreed to be on an epic quest of great importance without realizing that they needed a GOOD healer, not a horrible one.

Bottom line: Tank was kidnapped by the boss, DPS died, someone cast friendly poison on the group's Entertainer, the pet class is a useless scout, and everyone KNOWS it is all the Healer's fault!

To be fair, most of the blame lies on the elemental crystal of light, which makes no sense because light is not an element. Out of the entire cathedral of healers, it picked the one pyromancer of the bunch.

It's an asshole, but it's not like the hints were subtle.

No wonder they need the crystal to find new recruits. Not-Tifa isn't exactly brimming with charisma and inspiration.

Otaku World Order:
No wonder they need the crystal to find new recruits. Not-Tifa isn't exactly brimming with charisma and inspiration.

Yeah, she really does seem to just be in charge due the being the only one with a desire to actually do anything.

I thought healers only got treated that way in MMOs

I see some people above me aren't fans of this current arc, but I am loving it.

The Crystal never said she was chosen for her healing abilities, it probably wanted her to be the pyro mage of the group. But, her crappy team took one look at her and made her the healer. I can't wait to see her pyro blast some foo's.

At the risk of sounding 2edgy4u, it's kinda depressing to note that the same thing happens in the real world with much less savory consequences (people with low self-esteem are told by an authority figure that the apocalypse is nigh, and that they are the only ones who can save it, by joining a sketchy band of people who hide within otherwise-peaceful communities under the pretense that they are protecting the community).

I think I get where the confusion is now. We thought Erin was playing a RPG, when she's actually playing a MMO. The Crystal is the Match Making, and the Healer is just your average player who wants so badly to get into a party, that they queued for a role they weren't fit to fill, just on the hope that they will get carried and no one will actually depend on them to do their job.

hamsterkilla:

The Crystal never said she was chosen for her healing abilities, it probably wanted her to be the pyro mage of the group. But, her crappy team took one look at her and made her the healer. I can't wait to see her pyro blast some foo's.

It's a great arc, but i want another daedalus bossfight. #Bringsexyback

Jeivar:

Otaku World Order:

Yeah, she really does seem to just be in charge due the being the only one with a desire to actually do anything.

Those who can, do.
Those who cannot, teach.

Those who can't teach start up a ineffectual passive-aggressive guerrilla warfare campaign.

hamsterkilla:

Yea, this is what I'm gathering too.

"The details were unimportant, what was is that I was needed"
Team automatically assumes she's a healer and she just agrees no problem.

Fluttermage effed up.

F' Ya 'alls.

She didn't do nothin wrong.

Devieus:

Deathfish15:
Well,...

To be fair, most of the blame lies on the elemental crystal of light, which makes no sense because light is not an element. Out of the entire cathedral of healers, it picked the one pyromancer of the bunch.

Areloch:

Jeivar:

Otaku World Order:

Those who can, do.
Those who cannot, teach.

Those who can't teach start up a ineffectual passive-aggressive guerrilla warfare campaign.

The point is, Fluttermage, Not-Tifa, Not-Cloud, the Crystal, EVERYBODY sucks at their job. Except Daedalus.

That reminds me: what is Not-Tifa up to at this point, and where is Not-Barret?

RUNON SENTENCES! I see other folk's frustration for Fluttermage's continued back story. I am reminded of the "wait for it..." before the gobbleturkey steed reveal. But, I am kinda digging her beautifully drawn back story. Keep it coming, Cory. Grey, you are dead to me.

hamsterkilla:

But Not-Tifa said the Crystal was sending a healer. Was there another person who showed up later and got make the pyro mage instead of her?

Xman490:
That reminds me: what is Not-Tifa up to at this point, and where is Not-Barret?

Last we saw they were being held by the big bad. Seemed like they were being readied for some horrible experiments.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/erin-dies-alone/17096-Chapter-6-6

Specifically, drinking a crapload of liquid crystal.

I hope the next strip is Rad explaining, "No, you don't suck! His death was probably scripted, or else you could just huck a fenixfeather at him."

So the Crystals are picking heroes by trial and error? Doesn't seem very efficient.

Imp Emissary:
Was there another person who showed up later and got make the pyro mage instead of her?

Not-Vincent, maybe? Maybe his guns were in fact flamethrowers.

Jeivar:

That happens a lot.

Clankenbeard:
RUNON SENTENCES! I see other folk's frustration for Fluttermage's continued back story. I am reminded of the "wait for it..." before the gobbleturkey steed reveal. But, I am kinda digging her beautifully drawn back story. Keep it coming, Cory. Grey, you are dead to me.

And lo,your avatar is appropriate for your response. Burned, indeed. I am actually enjoy this story.

I can't help but to hear her voice as Starfire from Teen Titans.

Devieus:

Deathfish15:
Well,...

I think the talented healers probably had friends and jobs and weren't really up for the whole terrorism thing so the crystal had to make do with a violent loner.

I mean she's a magic user, that's close to healer right?

By the way, it was all unskippable.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here