Dear Valve: Please Fix Steam in 2017

Dear Valve: Please Fix Steam in 2017

It's time for Valve to get serious about the issues plaguing Steam.

Read Full Article

Fuck flash sales, having to check steam every 4 hours was a pain. Also the deals become boring because you own it all already and the only stuff that is left is rather recent games that at most are just 50% off.

josemlopes:
Fuck flash sales, having to check steam every 4 hours was a pain. Also the deals become boring because you own it all already and the only stuff that is left is rather recent games that at most are just 50% off.

Not to mention the implementation of the refund system pretty much made it pointless. And the biggest joke is. Sales have actually gotten better since. Before publishers would have a crappy 30% discouunt so they could flash or daily itr to 60% or 70%. Now. They just kinda leave it at 60%. The current sales model, while not exceiting, is actually more consumer friendly and respectful of the customer's time.. As well as being better for publisher who are no longer in a race to the bottome.

As for The surge in games. LOok. The people who have thios problems are games journalists and people looking for something popular to play. That's about it. Everyone else justs waits for something to float up and catch our attention. We won't die if we don't spend money on a game this week and we won't lose our jobs if our articles don't happen to mention the next biug thing. FOr normal people. Steam is just fine in that regard.

Seriously. I know Games JHournbalists are more and more feeling out-moded but hey. Thems the breaks. THe joke is. STeam does allow people to pick curators to shortlist gamesa for them but talk to some and they don't like it becauyse the curators 'might miss something.'

As for where are the games coming from. Who cares. SOme are old games re-released, some are new games, some are games that were never released west of china. Some are indies. So yeah, more hgames, that's not a problem for normal people. Just the OCDs, the Journalists and the Social Gamers (you know know the guy that really just buys the games so he can be in on the conversations).

All valid points and all as likely to be addressed by Valve this year as Half Life 3 getting released. Valve doesn't need to do anything and they turn over billions and still get people defending their decision because "it's better than Origin" (which I'm no longer convinced is true). It's a big name business in the game industry; they'll ignore people's problems as long as the profits keep rolling in.

They could also start displaying some other currencies. Seriously, if I'm visiting gog.com, gamersgate.com or origin.com I get to see the price in proper Swedish Krona as I should, whereas if I visit steam I'll have to make do with seeing the price in Euros.

Of course, displaying the price in Krona makes the price not end in ~9.99, but that doesn't stop gog or gamersgate from remaining operational.

josemlopes:
Also the deals become boring because you own it all already and the only stuff that is left is rather recent games that at most are just 50% off.

This. I mainly buy games during the weekend or midweek sales that happen during the rest of the year, because I've long since figured out that the annual sales aren't likely to go any lower than that. Also, the number of AAA games that are actually worth owning at any price has tapered off dramatically in the past few years. Seriously, what's come out at all this "generation" that's any good? There's Doom... and I'm stuck. All the good games anymore are indie games that people buy at launch for full price because they feel guilty being cheapskates about indie creators.

The biggest problem with steam is that theyre a monopoly. As a PC gamer you almost have to own steam. I was holding out on steam but it gets to the point where I continue to hold out or I give in and play games I like such as civ.

This means they do not need to change or innovate and can push on with unpopular things like paid mods. I do not see steam as something good for gaming, although many gamers seem to think valve can do no wrong.

josemlopes:
Fuck flash sales, having to check steam every 4 hours was a pain. Also the deals become boring because you own it all already and the only stuff that is left is rather recent games that at most are just 50% off.

Thanks for helping to keep the console business and all its affiliated companies running.

bluegate:

josemlopes:
Fuck flash sales, having to check steam every 4 hours was a pain. Also the deals become boring because you own it all already and the only stuff that is left is rather recent games that at most are just 50% off.

Thanks for helping to keep the console business and all its affiliated companies running.

Please explain, I'm no getting it

> Please explain, I'm no getting it

If the games industry is selling even "rather recent games" at 50% off, that's a pretty good indication that the PC games industry is about to collapse as the money it's making from sales is probably not sustaining the development costs. Why develop for PC if your product becomes almost worthless a few months down the road?

A race to the bottom feels good for the consumer in the short run, but usually ends up with people reminiscing about the "good old days" when there were actually books worth reading/music worth listening to/games worth playing (while they forget they paid prices they'd go ballistic about now).

The console market may end up being the only market left that can keep prices high enough that quality games can still be produced. It'll be "free-to-play" for the rest of us.

josemlopes:
Please explain, I'm no getting it

I'm quoting you since at least I appreciate getting the message "someone is responding to your posts".

TomWest:
> Please explain, I'm no getting it

If the games industry is selling even "rather recent games" at 50% off, that's a pretty good indication that the PC games industry is about to collapse as the money it's making from sales is probably not sustaining the development costs. Why develop for PC if your product becomes almost worthless a few months down the road?

A race to the bottom feels good for the consumer in the short run, but usually ends up with people reminiscing about the "good old days" when there were actually books worth reading/music worth listening to/games worth playing (while they forget they paid prices they'd go ballistic about now).

The console market may end up being the only market left that can keep prices high enough that quality games can still be produced. It'll be "free-to-play" for the rest of us.

Ah, okay. My question then is why do you think the console games industry is exempt from the same thing happening? The two markets are similar enough that what happens in one is likely to happen in the other.

Unless you think it isn't exempt, and we just haven't been given enough signs to indicate that such is the case.

josemlopes:

bluegate:

josemlopes:
Fuck flash sales, having to check steam every 4 hours was a pain. Also the deals become boring because you own it all already and the only stuff that is left is rather recent games that at most are just 50% off.

Thanks for helping to keep the console business and all its affiliated companies running.

Please explain, I'm no getting it

Although TomWest already gave a pretty good answer, my intention for my post was as follows;

I'm going out on a limb here, but from your post I assumed that you don't often buy recent games at full or near full price, seeing as you labelled a sale with recent games that were "just 50% off" as boring. So by comparison, even if ever so slightly, to developers you make the console market, a place where sales as steep as Steam's are a scarcity, more appealing than the Pc market. However, do keep in mind that this is all just conjecture based on assumptions.

And, by the way, there is no ill intent in my post.

I'll settle for them simply getting Early Access abandonware off of the their storefront for a start. I got singed a little this year and now the better examples of it will not have my trust as a result.

These are all valid points where Valve could improve. Early access games still seem to me like Kickstarters for half-built games and I have only bought into one or two of them. And yes, some shovelware pops up from time to time on my "Recommended for You" list.

But, I still see Steam as a great platform for developers to get their game to a wider market. I have purchased dozens of indie games that I never would have found without Steam. And not because I sought them out, but because Steam presented them to me as something I might like.

Thank you Steam for being a great game cloud! Now try a bit harder to stay great.

The biggest failure in Steam sales is that they just don't seem to be all that good anymore, The only game I really wanted to buy on sale was Total Warhammer. Between the poor discount on the base game and with NO discount on DLC, I just couldn't justify the purchase.

Maybe it's just me, but recent AAA games are less worth getting, and it's hard to get excited about a ~10% discount on some mediocre game from a publisher that already burned you with a shitty previous release that they didn't bother fixing before shoving the sequel out the door.

Holiday sales are more worthless since they introduced the personal bundle discounts.

Even the events used to be more fun, 2014 Team Red represents! \m/_

TomWest:
If the games industry is selling even "rather recent games" at 50% off, that's a pretty good indication that the PC games industry is about to collapse as the money it's making from sales is probably not sustaining the development costs. Why develop for PC if your product becomes almost worthless a few months down the road?

Interesting. I keep hearing how the console market is great and even better than the PC one for consumers, since it's so easy to get second hand games and at a bigger discount than what Steam would offer even sooner than Steam would even offer it. People tell tales of how they can get some new games second hand for as much as 80% off within a month of release. And yet, it's Steam that is doing in its own market, the console one is absolutely fine with that? Strange.

I am unsure about the discoverability problem. For one it means that consumers can be punished and make mistakes, which in my opinion is a very good thinking in making them smarter.

A lazy, too safe consumer leads to Day one DLC and the death of modding as well as terrible and unfinished launches. Such things must not happen, consumers need to get better the hard way as no other way is effective it seems.

Apart from that I disagree. And yes, casualties in game development will exist which sucks... but the good of the art form, long term, requires it.

Maybe have standards for what games get on Steam. I am reluctant to give games I dont know a chance, cause most of them are shovelware and shitty mobile ports.

Or porn.

bjj hero:
The biggest problem with steam is that theyre a monopoly. As a PC gamer you almost have to own steam.

I haven't opened Steam in 2 and 1/2 years.... I just keep installing free Korean MMOS.... .... :\

....I want to die

iller3:

bjj hero:
The biggest problem with steam is that theyre a monopoly. As a PC gamer you almost have to own steam.

I haven't opened Steam in 2 and 1/2 years.... I just keep installing free Korean MMOS.... .... :\

....I want to die

Ill start arranging an intervention...

Where'd my game go?: This is really more of a gaming media issue than a steam issue. If a game is on steam, its extremely easy to find, every game has a list of similar games next to it to organically feed into other games. The fact is you won't be able to find every game on a generated list of suggestions when there are hundreds of popular games. Other than a brief moment under "new releases" a sales platform is never going to be the primary means of advertisement for a product.

Where'd all these games come from?: Steam has never claimed or tried to be a gaming gatekeeper. In fact it has went through efforts to allow small indie developers to be able to publish on steam. With ease of access means that more shovelware garbage will flood the system. Honestly the best I would even consider is a system similar to Xbox 360 xbox store and xbox arcade. Basically hiding any non-AAA developed game behind an "indie/small dev" filter or checkbox. Keep in mind this will infuriate pretty much every single indie dev as now their products are listed with the rejects on steam instead of the front page.

Why does the Steam sale suck now?: Refunds. Since you can refund games, you can't have 90% off sales, since you don't have short window 90% off sales there isn't incentive to keep checking the store 4 times a day, since there isn't incentive to check the store every 4 hours, you just buy the games you want and don't look back. And since there's no reason for users to keep checking in, there's not really incentive for steam to make mini games and spend money to give them things to do.

So, what should Valve do about it?: They have games queue and games curators for organic discovery, the bloat of crapware is one of the important issues that I think could be alleviated with soft blocks. Basically if there's too many refund or negative reviews for a game, it is removed from anything other than directly searching. If a single developer has this on too many games, any new release are auto banished unless redeemed. Also they do need to hire at least a small team to start removing the worst of the worst offenders, if not already being done. Steam sales aren't going to get better, but they can find better ways to engage players, such as their "Name your own category awards" interaction has to shift with shifting market.

Bedinsis:
They could also start displaying some other currencies. Seriously, if I'm visiting gog.com, gamersgate.com or origin.com I get to see the price in proper Swedish Krona as I should, whereas if I visit steam I'll have to make do with seeing the price in Euros.

Of course, displaying the price in Krona makes the price not end in ~9.99, but that doesn't stop gog or gamersgate from remaining operational.

local currency would be a good step. im getting sick of randomly guessing what the actual price will be.

alot of excitement from the sales has probably gone for most people simply because they have already picked up most if not all they badly wanted in previous years

TomWest:
> Please explain, I'm no getting it

If the games industry is selling even "rather recent games" at 50% off, that's a pretty good indication that the PC games industry is about to collapse as the money it's making from sales is probably not sustaining the development costs. Why develop for PC if your product becomes almost worthless a few months down the road?

A race to the bottom feels good for the consumer in the short run, but usually ends up with people reminiscing about the "good old days" when there were actually books worth reading/music worth listening to/games worth playing (while they forget they paid prices they'd go ballistic about now).

The console market may end up being the only market left that can keep prices high enough that quality games can still be produced. It'll be "free-to-play" for the rest of us.

Use the quote thingy like everyone else, its a great tool to have discussions that arent direct responses to the original post.

bluegate:

josemlopes:

bluegate:
Thanks for helping to keep the console business and all its affiliated companies running.

Please explain, I'm no getting it

Although TomWest already gave a pretty good answer, my intention for my post was as follows;

I'm going out on a limb here, but from your post I assumed that you don't often buy recent games at full or near full price, seeing as you labelled a sale with recent games that were "just 50% off" as boring. So by comparison, even if ever so slightly, to developers you make the console market, a place where sales as steep as Steam's are a scarcity, more appealing than the Pc market. However, do keep in mind that this is all just conjecture based on assumptions.

And, by the way, there is no ill intent in my post.

Bedinsis:

josemlopes:
Please explain, I'm no getting it

I'm quoting you since at least I appreciate getting the message "someone is responding to your posts".

TomWest:
> Please explain, I'm no getting it

If the games industry is selling even "rather recent games" at 50% off, that's a pretty good indication that the PC games industry is about to collapse as the money it's making from sales is probably not sustaining the development costs. Why develop for PC if your product becomes almost worthless a few months down the road?

A race to the bottom feels good for the consumer in the short run, but usually ends up with people reminiscing about the "good old days" when there were actually books worth reading/music worth listening to/games worth playing (while they forget they paid prices they'd go ballistic about now).

The console market may end up being the only market left that can keep prices high enough that quality games can still be produced. It'll be "free-to-play" for the rest of us.

Ah, okay. My question then is why do you think the console games industry is exempt from the same thing happening? The two markets are similar enough that what happens in one is likely to happen in the other.

Unless you think it isn't exempt, and we just haven't been given enough signs to indicate that such is the case.

And yeah, I know you arent pointing fingers but still, just to keep everyone chilled, I do buy recent games at full price if its something that I want (recent examples, Hitman full season when only the first episode came out, Doom, Rainbow Six Siege). So yeah, basicly the only games that to me were the ones that I was actually getting hyped before release.

The rest, yeah, I wait, because Im not that into them but I know that I will still be able to enjoy. And those games are the ones that might as well be bought in a sale, I wasnt going to buy them at full price anyway.

Cant make me feel guilty for trying to be a considerate consumer and avoid impulse buying shit that I dont really need or want.

bluegate:

josemlopes:

bluegate:
Thanks for helping to keep the console business and all its affiliated companies running.

Please explain, I'm no getting it

Although TomWest already gave a pretty good answer, my intention for my post was as follows;

I'm going out on a limb here, but from your post I assumed that you don't often buy recent games at full or near full price, seeing as you labelled a sale with recent games that were "just 50% off" as boring. So by comparison, even if ever so slightly, to developers you make the console market, a place where sales as steep as Steam's are a scarcity, more appealing than the Pc market. However, do keep in mind that this is all just conjecture based on assumptions.

And, by the way, there is no ill intent in my post.

I can't agree with the logic of this post, at least in terms of specifically the video-game industry.

One, between the costs of certification processes and the fact the console owner takes a giant swath of the income, a developer selling on steam even at a massive discount is still seeing as much if not more profit than they would from the console market per sale.

Two, on consoles after the initial opening period of sales that tends to be all you get because of the prevalence of used game sales in physical media. A game on a sharp sale on steam generates some money, while a used game sale generates none for the publisher/developer.

Three, developing for one platform doesn't tend to be an exclusive thing unless a platform is paying for it to be so. Once you have a game ready for a console, there's no reason not to port it to PC so long as you expect the sales of it to be greater than the port cost.

Four, even if the industry does 'collapse', someone else will fill it in. There is a demand for PC experiences, and so long as there is money to be made somewhere someone will be setting up to make money off it.

I don't get why people are complaining about the sales. I got the games I planned to get on sale for about the price I expected. Games don't go on insane sales if they're less than a year old. If you want deals you need to be patient.

Valves passive attitude towards what's coming on to steam, aside from games not that wouldn't even qualify as an alpha, has directly endangered users through content creators (or rather those who bought Unity assets) insinuating ill intent both on and around steam itself.

To me that is something that really does need sorted, Greenlight started off promising, Giana Sister Twisted Dreams being one of the first titles (a great game), but much of it now seems like a have-a-go exploitation than opening the door for content creators with genuine commitment towards quality.

> Valve fixing Steam at any point in time


Warning: Loud

Flash sales became redundant when Steam Refunds entered the picture, since Valve explicitly said they don't consider refunding a game and then immediately buying the discounted version to be a abuse.

The surge of trash on the store is also unbelievable. And I simply don't buy that it's impossible to do any form of duration. Half of these games have glaring flaws in the first TEN MINUTES for goodness sakes: a single employee testing to see if the game is PLAYABLE on start-up shouldn't be too much to ask, and would probably cut the flood by a good portion to boot.

 

Reply to Thread

Log in or Register to Comment
Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  
  
Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here