The Search for the Real Duke Nukem

The Search for the Real Duke Nukem

Apogee Software is looking for a man, and not just any man but a manly man with the stones to become the first real-life Duke Nukem.

Apogee and Deep Silver are holding a cross-country search for the ultimate alpha male, who will be paid to travel around the world as the "face of the franchise." Live auditions will be held in New York, Dallas and Los Angeles, and fans unable to attend can also submit a video audition on DVD, tape or digitally in Quicktime format.

"Fans can do whatever they want to demonstrate why they should be the next Duke Nukem," the contest website says. Entries will be narrowed down by a panel of "Duke experts," and those selected as possible candidates will be "judged accordingly," with the winning contestant announced at the 2009 E3 in June.

Eidos has employed several models to represent their famous videogame heroine Lara Croft over the years but as far as I know this is the first time anyone has launched a nation-wide search for a gravelly-voiced meathead to fill the role of a male videogame character. And while no offense is intended to anyone, particularly whoever ends up winning this contest, but what are the odds of finding a Duke Nukem-type character among Duke Nukem fans anyway?

More to the point: Is this a sign of action on the Duke Nukem front? After well over a decade of alleged development, is it possible - dare we say it? - that Duke Nukem Forever might actually be on the way? Deep Silver's involvement means the talent search is probably just in support of the Duke Nukem Trilogy, but hey, we can dream.

Specifics about the live auditions and where to send recorded entries will be revealed on April 6, giving all the world's Duke hopefuls plenty of time to practice their baddest-sounding "Suck it down" and "Come get some" impressions. Full details about the search for the real Duke Nukem can be found at dukeisback.com.

Ohh and hilarity will ensue! At least the costume will be an easy design to form onto a human. Quick someone call the Ironman competition!

Does this mean they are planning on releasing some info about Duke Nukem forever?
Maybe it will released in the next 10 years? Who knows?

This smells that Duke Nukem Forever is coming out soon....

If soon in your Duke Nukem Forever dictionary means in 5 years time.

This can only mean that DNF is on the horizon... again. This game better have been programmed by God himself for how long it has taken.

Indeed. Hope its not a let down, like Too Human.

I want to see those audition tapes pleaaase.

This should be hilarious. The only person they are ever to get that is close to duke is Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I'd be ten times more amused to see 3DRealms looking for a real life Lo Wang.

Shadow Warrior > Duke Nukem * 1000

Unfortunately there's a Duke trilogy coming out on PSP and DS this year and chances are this is recruitment to plug it as opposed to DNF but one can only hope!

I don't know why i bother to google when i get results like this

Unknower:

Holy crap.

RogueDarkJedi:

Unknower:

Holy crap.

Winner

RogueDarkJedi:

Unknower:

Holy crap.

IT'S LIKE THEY'VE BEEN THE SAME PERSON ALL ALONG.

The_Oracle:

RogueDarkJedi:

Unknower:

Holy crap.

My God... could it be? He has been here all along!... Seriously though, Howie Long should try out for the part.

ckeymel:
I want to see those audition tapes pleaaase.

Hell yes. It'll be high comedy.

They're making a new Duke game for the PSP/DS. It was in GameInformer. And no, it wasn't under GameInfarcer.

Their search is over. I'M HERE

my god if dnf comes out then all the vapourware lists will have to find a new #1, tho i do believe some have removed it from contention and said it was always #1

Unknower:

He looks the part, but he just isnt badass enough. I wonder if they will start hanging out with the person currently being Lara Croft. Hm, I smell a sitcom.

SO who else things that our own Russ Pitts should send in a video.

There is no question, since you all must agree.

It could be good....but from the last teaser I saw, it looked like they were using the engine from Prey, don't know whether that's good or bad.

Russell Brand should do it.

Keane's already laid claim to the title but I'm thinking we should keep the competition open for awhile yet anyway. You know, just in case.

Malygris:
Keane's already laid claim to the title but I'm thinking we should keep the competition open for awhile yet anyway. Just in case, you know.

Who?

Keane. The news guy. You might have noticed him around here once or twice, he posts a half-dozen or so news stories, like, every day.

Ron fucking Perlman.

Okay I am sorry but, what franchise? Duke Nukem has been dead soo fucking long I doubt the new generation of gamers even know who the hell he is and us older gamers have long since ceased caring. Plus DNF has been "in the works" for soo long that unless it gives you a hand job and cures cancer while you play then its going to be a waste of time.

Kiutu:

Unknower:

He looks the part, but he just isnt badass enough. I wonder if they will start hanging out with the person currently being Lara Croft. Hm, I smell a sitcom.

"Judge ye not by what's inside, but by what's on the outside."

The_Oracle:

RogueDarkJedi:

Unknower:

Holy crap.

He's been in hiding all these years and that's why the game has been delayed so much. GET HIM!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here