FileFront Closing Down

Pages 1 2 NEXT

FileFront Closing Down

FileFront, one of the most popular file distribution sites on the net, has announced that it will be closing down at the end of the month.

Launched in December 2001, FileFront was a popular destination for gamers looking for patches, mods, demos, videos and other game-related content and also hosted a wide range of other software, including drivers, internet software, audio-video packages and much more. But the site's future became uncertain when UGO acquired 1Up from Ziff-Davis; FileFront was not part of the sale and while Ziff said it would continue to operate FileFront as part of the PC Magazine digital network, the company's struggles cast doubt on how long it could afford to keep things going.

"We regret to inform you that due to the current economic conditions we are forced to indefinitely suspend the FileFront site operations on March 30, 2009," FileFront management wrote in a message posted at farewell.filefront.com. "If you have uploaded files, images or posted blogs, or if you would like to download some of your favorite files, please take this opportunity to download them before March 30th when the site will be suspended."

"We would like to give a warm thank you to all of you who have been part of the FileFront communities we have built together," the message continues. "Your support has had a meaningful impact for all of us here at FileFront. Again, we want to give you a sincere "thank you" for your support over the years and wish you all the very best."

While the message refers to it as a "suspension" and not an outright shutdown, there's not much in the farewell that offers hope for the future. Maybe we'll get lucky but with the economy continuing to stumble and companies desperately seeking new sources of revenue, the odds of seeing the FileFront we know and love make a comeback seem mighty slim.

Oh my goodness. Think of all those hard to find mods that don't exist anywhere else because their creators built them four years ago, put them on FileFront and then forgot about them... gone, gone forever.

NOES!!!!!! We must save filefront!!!

What?!?! gone?!?! it can't be...noooo it cant be! So many useful lost mods to be found. When it goes down the drain I Beat 50% of the mods that are ont he site will become extinct.

WHAT?!?!

Aw, sonofabitch this sucks! That's my favorite site to find stuff...

Gah, now I'm pissed.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Of all sites, close down FilePlanet. Save FileFront! :D

Okay, who owns a supercomputer and would like to download every mod for every game? for everybody I'll pay you $20.

I don't understand. How is possibly one of the most convienient and successful companies suffering econmoically while these other sites stay afloat?

I really am not one to download much, but I genuinely feel sad that such a great site is closing. Now, whenever I would like to download something, I'll have to register and sift through hundreds of ads...

Oh. Did I just answer my own question?

Say Anything:
I don't understand. How is possibly one of the most convienient and successful companies suffering econmoically while these other sites stay afloat?

I really am not one to download much, but I genuinely feel sad that such a great site is closing. Now, whenever I would like to download something, I'll have to register and sift through hundreds of ads...

Oh. Did I just answer my own question?

Yup. Filefront wasnt a cash cow so it goes down.

Did not see this coming.

At least its not fileplanet.

i see april fools a coming

Probably a good thing my younger bro already downloaded every KotOR mod known to man, then.

This also means that popular hosted sites like HL2Files - BCFiles, and a plethora of other sites hosted on the network will go down. Filefront will be missed.

It's a shame that such a successful company is closing down, but to be honest I stopped using FileFront a while ago. It timed out all the time.

well... this sucks

NO!! Quake 2 Eraser bot..custom maps...CTF and Co-op! IT CAN'T BE LOST! It needs to be saved, otherwise the code will be lost forever in some old hard drive!

Tasty Mango:

It ends on March 30, 2009. About a day before April Fools in Australia.

Hopefully, this is a very cruel trick.

Lord Krunk:

Tasty Mango:

Hopefully...

Agh, at least I downloaded the Mandalorian mod for KotOR TSL...

*sniff* WHY FILE FRONT?! WHY NOW??? *cries eyes out*

Lord Krunk:

Tasty Mango:

I wish. In fact, I'm praying this is the case. I found so many good TF2 and Half Life 2 mods there.

What!? No!

"sniffles" I loved that site i could always find what i wanted on it in regards to gaming stuff and the bandwidth was always great for me. damn economy

RogueDarkJedi:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Of all sites, close down FilePlanet. Save FileFront! :D

I'm with you on this one.

Damn one of the only free and decent site I can put files up on...gone!

Unholy Hades! This is staggering! I've been using Filefront since I tried to use fileplanet and almost destroyed my computer at how horrific it is.

;-;

We'll miss you filefront! I hope whoever allowed this to happen suffers for it.

HobbesMkii:
Oh my goodness. Think of all those hard to find mods that don't exist anywhere else because their creators built them four years ago, put them on FileFront and then forgot about them... gone, gone forever.

Already foreseen this, I'm in the progress of backing up any and all mods, even slightly relevant, for the games I play. I'm only covering Battlefield 1942/Vietnam stuff ATM but if anyone else knows of something worth saving on FileFront lemme know. So far I've backed up Empires, Eve of Destruction, XWWII, Finnwars, Galactic Conquest, Gundam mod, Homefront, Hydroracers, Interstate 82, Opration Anubis, Recruit Snyders, Sengoku, Siege, Silent Heroes, Surreal, The Great War, Transformers, Dice City.... the list goes on and on.

If you don't recognize most of the stuff in this list, that's because the more well known mods, for Battlefield at least, are spread out across many hosting sites, and as such are not in danger.

I'm kind of hoping to revive interest in these mods by setting up community fight nights. They may be old, but they were and still are quite fun.

Is there like a central community or something for people doing what I'm doing, trying to save certain sections of Filefront?

BDNeon:

HobbesMkii:

Already foreseen this, I'm in the progress of backing up any and all mods, even slightly relevant, for the games I play. I'm only covering Battlefield 1942/Vietnam stuff ATM but if anyone else knows of something worth saving on FileFront lemme know. So far I've backed up Empires, Eve of Destruction, XWWII, Finnwars, Galactic Conquest, Gundam mod, Homefront, Hydroracers, Interstate 82, Opration Anubis, Recruit Snyders, Sengoku, Siege, Silent Heroes, Surreal, The Great War, Transformers, Dice City.... the list goes on and on.

If you don't recognize most of the stuff in this list, that's because the more well known mods, for Battlefield at least, are spread out across many hosting sites, and as such are not in danger.

I'm kind of hoping to revive interest in these mods by setting up community fight nights. They may be old, but they were and still are quite fun.

Is there like a central community or something for people doing what I'm doing, trying to save certain sections of Filefront?

The Bridge Commander community has already backed up almost their entire file depository, it's great. They don't know where to re-host them but they'll find a solution I'm sure.

gone forever?

Never!

I will not spend 20$ a month for Fileplanet!

*grr*

HotU, and now FileFront, it's been a bit of a grim start to the year for websites...

This sucks, that's one of my favourite sites on the whole internet, damn stupid economy :(

What the FUCK?! I mean seriously what the fuck?

Can we donate or something? I have a paypal and a bank account waiting.

It's instinctive for "people like us" (or people like me, at least) to rail against the commercialization of things we've always taken for granted as free. I've waved that flag a few times over the years. But sooner or later some very basic economic facts have to prevail. It costs money to host that stuff, and if there's not enough money coming in to cover those costs, sooner or later the plugged gets pulled.

When times are good companies are more inclined to keep things like FileFront running at a loss because of the various intangible benefits they generates. But right now... the times, they are not good.

How the hell is this possible? I thought FileFront was incredibly popular because it didn't require registration... I refused to go to FilePlanet because of this very reason, always opting for FileFront instead.

Malygris:
It's instinctive for "people like us" (or people like me, at least) to rail against the commercialization of things we've always taken for granted as free. I've waved that flag a few times over the years. But sooner or later some very basic economic facts have to prevail. It costs money to host that stuff, and if there's not enough money coming in to cover those costs, sooner or later the plugged gets pulled.

When times are good companies are more inclined to keep things like FileFront running at a loss because of the various intangible benefits they generates. But right now... the times, they are not good.

That's pretty much how I feel.

While Filefront was nice, I don't expect that it was generating the revenue it needed to defray the no doubt enormous bandwidth and hosting cost they had from all these people hosting files for free, especially with some of them being left up there for months at a time.

I III II X4:

Lord Krunk:

Tasty Mango:

Hopefully...

Agh, at least I downloaded the Mandalorian mod for KotOR TSL...

It may well be, they did the exact same thing with some of the filefront category sites last year.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here