Utah Governor Vetoes Bill HB 353

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Utah Governor Vetoes Bill HB 353

In a surprise development, Utah Governor Jon Huntsman has vetoed HB 353, the controversial bill that would have exposed retailers to lawsuits if they mistakenly sold M-rated videogames to underage customers.

Bill HB 353, originally drafted with the help of disgraced former attorney Jack Thompson, easily passed both the Senate and the House of Representatives in Utah before being sent to the Governor for final approval last week. While it appeared to be deeply flawed, most observers predicted Huntsman would not exercise his veto power because of the bill's purported protection of children. But the Governor has surprised us all by taking note of what the bill's supporters chose to ignore: That it would only serve to drive Utah retailers away from the highly-effective ESRB rating system.

"After careful consideration and study, I have decided to veto HB 353, Truth in Advertising Act Amendments, and have transmitted it to the Lieutenant Governor for filing," the Governor said in a message posted on Saintless (via GamePolitics). "While protecting children from inappropriate materials is a laudable goal, the language of this bill is so broad that it likely will be struck down by the courts as an unconstitutional violation of the Dormant Commerce Clause and/or the First Amendment."

"The industries most affected by this new requirement indicated that rather than risk being held liable under this bill, they would likely choose to no longer issue age appropriate labels on goods and services," he continued. "Therefore, the unintended consequence of the bill would be that parents and children would have no labels to guide them in determining the age appropriateness of the goods or service, thereby increasing children's potential exposure to something they or their parents would have otherwise determined was inappropriate under the voluntary labeling system now being recognized and embraced by a significant majority of vendors."

Thompson has apparently told GamePolitics that the bill's supporters intend to override the Governor's veto, which can apparently be done if two-thirds of the Senate vote to do so. Whether there is actually enough die-hard support for the bill to carry the fight to that level is unclear.

"This is an absolute win for families," ESA CEO Michael Gallagher said in a statement. "Utah's parents will benefit from Governor Huntsman's leadership and thoughtfulness on this issue. His decisive action helps caregivers and prevents businesses from being opened to unproductive, wasteful civil litigation and needless expense. Parents can be assured that the strength of the ESRB rating system remains intact and continues to serve as a valuable resource and will continue to effectively serve them."

...Wait... Wait, what? Did a politician actually read and understand a bill, and then do what is best for the people, not just his career?

My head, it has exploded from the paradox of an at least somewhat responsible politician.

YES!

Utah Governor Jon Huntsman, we all love you man!

Just hope the Senate won't override it...

Wow, at least somebody in that state has some damned sense.

Jon Huntsman, you have proved yourself one of the few politicians worthy of your position!

Now only if the Senate doesn't fuck this up.

NoMoreSanity:
Jon Huntsman, you have proved yourself one of the few politicians worthy of your position!

Yeah he definitely is a wise man. Now if only a wise man could replace the current host of Red Eye then maybe I won't dislike Americans so much.

Whoa... didn't expect that. Take that, Jack Thompson! The world has realized that you are an imbecile! But the senate will, in all likelihood, override it.

Huntsman 2012

But I'll wait to get the T-shirts made.

*mild applause*

Ha. Threatening to sue retailers over selling to minors will encourage them to cover up the industry-standard, not-legally-binding ESRB labels so they don't get in trouble. And if that's the case, then they'll go ahead and sell GTAIV to Junior, because hey, there is no way for them to tell what a game is rated anymore.

I kind of hope it passes. There is no greater punishment than the consequences of one's own stupidity.

Broken Wings:

NoMoreSanity:

Yeah he definitely is a wise man. Now if only a wise man could replace the current host of Red Eye then maybe I won't dislike Americans so much.

That guy was is a complete douchebag. He isn't the norm for Americans. He's the crazy guy we lock up in asylums. Don't let one man's idiocy ruin your opinion of an entire country.

Mstrswrd:
...Wait... Wait, what? Did a politician actually read and understand a bill, and then do what is best for the people, not just his career?

My head, it has exploded from the paradox of an at least somewhat responsible politician.

Oh he only did it because he wants the Utah gamers to re-elect him. hehe

gmer412:

Broken Wings:

NoMoreSanity:

That guy was is a complete douchebag. He isn't the norm for Americans. He's the crazy guy we lock up in asylums. Don't let one man's idiocy ruin your opinion of an entire country.

Trust me it wasn't just that guy that led me to dislike Americans.

DAYUMMMM

Jon Huntsman for PREZ in 2016

Jon Huntsman, you have just won exactly 1,562,463,356,173,032,893,004,628,538.4 to the power of one million Poodonkis-points for this. I hope you spend them wisely.
You, sir, have given me confidence in politics for the first time ever.

The senate? We'll see, but just in case: Don't mess this up, Senate!

Lucky Utahians. If only the Australian government has as much insight.

Jon Huntsman... i salute you.

Labyrinth:

No offense but I think your shooting for the sun with paper wings on that one. But seriously you Aussy gamers don't deserve the crap you have to go through.

Broken Wings:

Labyrinth:

No offense but I think your shooting for the sun with paper wings on that one. But seriously you Aussy gamers don't deserve the crap you have to go through.

Believe me I know it's optimistic. Ugh.

My amazement knows no bounds.

However is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that something bad is gonna happen the will completly screw over the good that has occurred here....

Sorry guys, you got VETOED!!!!!!!!

Huntsman! Huntsman! He's our man! If he can't do it, no one can!

Jumplion:
YES!

Seriously. Can we get this guy to run for Attorney General of South Australia? I feel for my Australian brethren.

orannis62:

Jumplion:
YES!

Seriously. Can we get this guy to run for Attorney General of South Australia? I feel for my Australian brethren.

Okay, I agree that this guy is awesome right now, but let's not jump the gun. As far as I've known, this is the only time I've ever even cared about him, I doubt he'd do a significant impact on Australia.

Unless he ends up vetoing alot of anti-game bills, let's not jump the gun here. Still, he's a badass for this.

Well done, sah! The Escapist commends you!

Not all politicians hate video games, i guess...
Well i said all, not "most"

Jon, I salute you.

Ran him on Wikipedia: he's a former ambassador to Singapore under Bush I and was re-elected last November with 77.7% of the vote. In other words, what he says will probably be what goes. He speaks Chinese and has a big family with several adoptees. He's a fan of Dream Theater (proclaiming a Dream Theater day) and has played keyboards on stage with REO Speedwagon. Opposes partial-birth abortion, supports gun ownership, civil unions, and insurance/healthcare cost controls. In other words, I would vote for this guy faster than you can imagine for president and he's already under consideration by some.

I could see the Republican party getting straightened out, even.

Wow. That's...impressive. Especially impressive for a politician.

Jumplion:

orannis62:

Jumplion:
YES!

Okay, I agree that this guy is awesome right now, but let's not jump the gun. As far as I've known, this is the only time I've ever even cared about him, I doubt he'd do a significant impact on Australia.

Unless he ends up vetoing alot of anti-game bills, let's not jump the gun here. Still, he's a badass for this.

At the very least, he doesn't seem think games are the root of all evil, so he'd probably be better than Atkinson.

GyroCaptain:
Ran him on Wikipedia: he's a former ambassador to Singapore under Bush I and was re-elected last November with 77.7% of the vote. In other words, what he says will probably be what goes. He speaks Chinese and has a big family with several adoptees. He's a fan of Dream Theater (proclaiming a Dream Theater day) and has played keyboards on stage with REO Speedwagon. Opposes partial-birth abortion, supports gun ownership, civil unions, and insurance/healthcare cost controls. In other words, I would vote for this guy faster than you can imagine for president and he's already under consideration by some.

Wow! And I was just joking with my first Huntsman 2012 idea, but now I'am fully behind him. He'd probably be a lot better for the republican party than that Indian guy (Jindal) that they're setting up to run in 2012.

the captain:

GyroCaptain:

Wow! And I was just joking with my first Huntsman 2012 idea, but now I'am fully behind him. He'd probably be a lot better for the republican party than that Indian guy (Jindal) that they're setting up to run in 2012.

yep lets make some t-shirts and make a facebook group you know all the official stuff but seriously this would finally make me like the republican party again. In fact in my life time there hasn't been a good republican president and the only good republican governor I have had ironically was bush and if only he had stayed governor. So Huntsman for president in 2012.

Mstrswrd:

I daresay that I rather like this politician.

GyroCaptain:

Wow this guy sounds awesome!

A politician showing sense. Huh. Guess Satan has to turn up the thermostat, what with all the ice and stuff in his home.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here